IOIO board isn't recognized by my Moto E phone

M. A.

May 12, 2015, 5:50:26 AM5/12/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

My problem is that nothing happens at all when I connect the IOIO OTG board to Moto E, the phone doesn't see the board.

I am using:
- Moto E with 4.4.4 Android version
- USB debugging is off
- App-IOIO0504 library

I can't see what I am doing wrong, any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew Robinson

May 12, 2015, 5:57:37 AM5/12/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi M.A

Are you using an application, such as the helloioio app to test connection?

Are you connecting with a USB lead, or via Bluetooth to the IOIO?
Message has been deleted

M. A.

May 12, 2015, 6:09:20 AM5/12/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Yes I am testing using HelloIOIO app, and connecting the cell phone to the board using a short USB cable which is working with other cell phones

Andrew Robinson

May 12, 2015, 8:07:43 AM5/12/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Are you also using the short red usb-a cable which comes with the IOIO, to then connect a second usb-b cable to your android....you can see on my project pictured the red USB-A cable in the ioio, then a usb-B cable which connects to the red cable, and the other end to an android device.

Also check the small black switch on the ioio board is set to A for auto.
Does your android device charge while plugged into the ioio?

M. A.

May 12, 2015, 8:25:56 AM5/12/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
I am not using the two USB cables that come with the IOIO board, instead, I am using a continuous one (without the adapter on the middle)
The switch is on A and still doesn't charge.

Could it be because Moto E doesn't support OTG? I've just found that!

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

May 13, 2015, 9:02:07 PM5/13/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Make sure the "A" side of the cable is at the IOIO and the "B" side at the phone. This will cause the IOIO to act as host. At this point, you should at least see the phone charging. If it doesn't:
  • Check the power supply - should be at least 5V and at least 1A to be on the safe side.
  • Check that the current limiting potentiometer on the IOIO is fully clockwise.
If charging doesn't work, don't try to continue, it is pointless. Once it does, check to see whether the accessory dialog comes up (completely independent of which IOIO apps are installed on the phone - could be NONE at this point). If it doesn't, make sure USB debugging is off and that USB is configured for MTP mode (which has been recently indicated by someone to fix a problem they were having).

Only when you're getting the dialog does it make sense to start looking at the app.