ioio board/PC (Mac) setup without Android

Vic Wintriss

Dec 4, 2014, 1:50:15 PM12/4/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
I would like to set up a simple demo at our school where we teach kids Java starting in the 5th grade...like blinking a led.  Since we already use the ioio board in our robots for the International Autonomous Robot Competition (iARoC), it would be nice to continue using the ioio boards instead of having to go to an Arduino, etc.  Can I just write the programs in Java in a Mac and run them in the Mac, using the ioio board to connect to the outside world...no Androids?

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Dec 4, 2014, 3:49:39 PM12/4/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

Absolutely! See the wiki page about using the IOIO with a PC. This works both over USB or Bluetooth. The old IOIO version will do just Bluetooth. Raspberry Pis and Beaglebones running Linux are also supported.

On Dec 4, 2014 10:50 AM, "Vic Wintriss" <g...@san.rr.com> wrote:
I would like to set up a simple demo at our school where we teach kids Java starting in the 5th grade...like blinking a led.  Since we already use the ioio board in our robots for the International Autonomous Robot Competition (iARoC), it would be nice to continue using the ioio boards instead of having to go to an Arduino, etc.  Can I just write the programs in Java in a Mac and run them in the Mac, using the ioio board to connect to the outside world...no Androids?

Vic Wintriss

Dec 7, 2014, 6:15:59 PM12/7/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Worked great the first time I tried, but now I get these errors when running HelloIOIOswing...no compile errors:

[E/IOIOConnectionRegistry] Exception caught while attempting to initialize connection factory

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: purejavacomm/PortInUseException

at ioio.lib.util.IOIOConnectionRegistry.addBootstrap(IOIOConnectionRegistry.java:111)

at ioio.lib.util.IOIOConnectionRegistry.addBootstraps(IOIOConnectionRegistry.java:97)

at ioio.lib.util.pc.IOIOPcApplicationHelper.<clinit>(IOIOPcApplicationHelper.java:59)

at ioio.lib.util.pc.IOIOSwingApp.<init>(IOIOSwingApp.java:72)

at HelloIOIOSwing.<init>(HelloIOIOSwing.java:20)

at HelloIOIOSwing.main(HelloIOIOSwing.java:26)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: purejavacomm.PortInUseException

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:360)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)

... 8 more

The ioio board seems to be there;

VicMacMini-2:~ VicMini$ ls /dev/tty.usb*

/dev/tty.usbmodem1d13131

Ideas?

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Dec 7, 2014, 11:10:10 PM12/7/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Seems like you still have something running that's using the port.

Vic Wintriss

Dec 8, 2014, 1:50:48 PM12/8/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

Based on your comment, I find that…after restarting the Mac…launching HelloIOIOSwing.jar works fine.  After running HelloIOIOSwing from Eclipse which has no compile errors but does not work…launching HelloIOIOSwing.jar does not work anymore until I reboot the Mac.  Does the HelloIOIOSwing source code shut things down properly upon completion?

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Dec 9, 2014, 5:17:16 PM12/9/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
It seems to me like the process is still running. How are you launching from Eclipse? What is the console output you're seeing? How are you quitting the program?

Vic Wintriss

Dec 9, 2014, 6:21:52 PM12/9/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Launching from Eclipse with the run button...console output:

12/9/14 2:41:32.000 PM kernel[0]: AppleUSBCDCACMData: Version number - 4.2.2b5, Input buffers 8, Output buffers 16

12/9/14 2:41:32.000 PM kernel[0]: AppleUSBCDC: Version number - 4.2.2b5

12/9/14 2:42:00.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: java(5873) System Policy: deny file-write-unlink /Users/VicMini/Library/Saved Application State/net.java.openjdk.cmd.savedState/restorecount.plist

The swing button shows and clicks off an on, so the main thread seems to be running.  I quit with the red x button.
Where can I find the source code for

IOIOSwingApp?

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Dec 9, 2014, 11:42:52 PM12/9/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

First, the code is in the same software bundle where the Android software is. There are Eclipse projects for both the console and swing apps.
What you attached is NOT the console output of this app. Make sure you look in the console view of Eclipse and then select the correct console within it. It also sounds to me like you most likely haven't passed the -Dioio.SerialPorts argument, which may cause the app to get stuck trying to open ports that are not the IOIO. When running from Eclipse you can configure this option from within the run configurations menu.

Vic Wintriss

Feb 24, 2015, 3:29:15 PM2/24/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
I am making a new run of my VicsWagon robots (4).  I am going to try and put the ioio board pattern on the same board with all the other circuitry.  I understand that you collect a royalty for each ioio board sold.  I am happy to send you royalties for the boards that I make if you can provide me with details for getting the royalties to you.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Feb 24, 2015, 11:37:12 PM2/24/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your consideration!
Royalties are completely optional (and thankfully, the main manufacturers are voluntary sharing their revenue with me). If you're making a small number of units it is probably not worth your trouble. Buy me a beer if we ever meet :) If you ever make hundreds and still interested in sharing the revenue (again - this is not a requirement), let me know and we'll figure it out.
More importantly - share with us some interesting details about your project! This is the best reward I can hope for.

Ytai

Vic Wintriss

Feb 25, 2015, 12:13:15 AM2/25/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks…Is there a way I can post a picture of the VicsWagon?  I am happy to share details.  It is pretty cool.
Vic Wintriss
Executive Director
Wintriss Technical Schools

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ioio-users" group.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Feb 25, 2015, 12:15:05 AM2/25/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Seems like you just posted a picture :)
By all means, post a picture of your bot.

Vic Wintriss

Feb 25, 2015, 12:22:22 AM2/25/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
OK…I’ll give a try.  Which thread?

And I owe you a beer.  You do a great job with this project.

I have been able to migrate to AndroidStudio from Eclipse if you need instructions.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Vic Wintriss <g...@san.rr.com> wrote:
Thanks…Is there a way I can post a picture of the VicsWagon?  I am happy to share details.  It is pretty cool.
Vic Wintriss
Executive Director
Wintriss Technical Schools

<LeagueBoySmall-2.tiff>

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Feb 25, 2015, 12:24:57 AM2/25/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Open a new thread.

Vic Wintriss

Feb 25, 2015, 12:28:40 AM2/25/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Ytai:

We have just rebranded ourselves as The League of Amazing Programmers.  Check out the 3 minute video at http://www.jointheleague.org.  You will be amazed at what we are doing with 5th graders.

Vic

Vic Wintriss
Executive Director
Wintriss Technical Schools

On Feb 24, 2015, at 9:24 PM, Ytai Ben-Tsvi <yta...@gmail.com> wrote:

Open a new thread.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 9:22 PM, Vic Wintriss <g...@san.rr.com> wrote:
OK…I’ll give a try.  Which thread?

And I owe you a beer.  You do a great job with this project.

I have been able to migrate to AndroidStudio from Eclipse if you need instructions.
Vic Wintriss
Executive Director
Wintriss Technical Schools

<LeagueBoySmall-2.tiff>

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Feb 25, 2015, 12:39:44 AM2/25/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
This is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for when I started the IOIO project. Well done and thanks for sharing! Looking forward for some robot pictures and description!

G Man

Mar 3, 2016, 10:28:23 AM3/3/16
to ioio-users
For those stuck on this same error. My problem was that the PureJaveComm.jar was not being included in my build.

Make sure you not only include the library to your IDE project, but also when the Jar is built.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Mar 3, 2016, 4:29:35 PM3/3/16
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

What error are we talking about? Wrong thread?

vic.wi...@jointheleague.org

Mar 24, 2016, 8:53:28 PM3/24/16
to ioio-users
I'm making a run of about 20 Roomba (Create I and Create II) interface boards with the PIC processor built on the board so I don't have to buy ioio boards.  If this is a large enough run to make it worth your while, I am happy to pay royalties.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Mar 25, 2016, 3:36:23 AM3/25/16
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

That's very kind and thoughtful of you, thanks!
I'd do without the royalty. If your device ever gets to large quantities, I'll leave it to your best judgement to decide what to do.
In any case, if you can credit me/the IOIO for its contribution to your project I'd appreciate it. And please share as much as you can with me and the rest of the world, I'm curious to see what comes out.

vic.wi...@jointheleague.org

Mar 26, 2016, 11:26:06 PM3/26/16
to ioio-users

Here is a picture of our latest ioio board integration with a Roomba Create 2 robot for our 8th annual International Autonomous Robot Competition (iARoC) in San Diego to bel held on June 25 and 26, 2016.  The modular connectors are for ultrasonic sensors.  Our school...The League Of Amazing Programmers...has a complete Android API available.  Thanks to Ytai for all his help in bringing up the board.