Issues connecting IOIO to bigger phone

kkannan

Oct 15, 2017, 10:28:54 AM10/15/17
to ioio-users
Hello IOIO users,

I've been struggling to use my Lenovo Phap 2 Pro with IOIO due to power issues. My setup is IOIO is powered thru JST connector by an external battery  about 11.5 v and under 15v. It works for a day or two and then nothing, even if it is powered from wall adapter, but it works when connected with the laptop USB.  So it is clear that the regulator is gone for good.

I damaged two boards so far and decided to try the Arduino ADK board. Surprisingly after a day it too stopped working, this time it was powered from wall adapter all along. I could connect to USB port and upload from laptop with no issues, but same as with IOIO its regulator is gone.

Lenovo p2p draws more current and it could be the reason behind the failures. My question is can I power the phone using separate wires while the data (+D & -D) connected to IOIO board? I am planning to use an external regulator with higher rating.

Any pointers to solve this issue is highly appreciated.

Rgds
Kannan

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Oct 15, 2017, 3:15:09 PM10/15/17
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
The latest version (as of almost two years now) of the IOIO from SparkFun and SeeedStudio has improved protection for the regulator.
If you want to bypass the on-board regulator, just feed 5v directly into the 5v rail from an external regulator. Your damaged regulator might be shorting the 5v rail so check that first, you may have to remove it.

kkannan