Re: Using IOIO with Android Studio

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

May 23, 2013, 12:14:41 PM5/23/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Do you have any reason not to use Eclipse?

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 2:39 AM, James Warner <jamesw...@gmail.com> wrote:
New to all this, have been able to create some basic hello world apps in the new android studio - I cannot however get the helloioio project to compile ( java: package ioio.lib.api does not exist)

Can anyone give any simple instructions to add the ioiolib to the project? I've tried about everything I can think of in file>project structure...

Many Thanks,
James

James Warner

May 27, 2013, 12:21:38 PM5/27/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Managed it in the end with some fiddling around with duplicate files in the ioio library - works great :)

No reason not to use eclipse - but google seem to be phasing it out in favour of android studio - just wanted to make sure I was learning with the right tools!

Thanks,
James

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

May 27, 2013, 11:42:10 PM5/27/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, great....
It seems like the general approach is "why fix our bugs when we can simply replace the whole thing?"
I think I'll stick to Eclipse as long as it works OK. I'm tired of trying to catch up with all those useless changes.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Jun 6, 2013, 12:00:49 PM6/6/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!
As long as they are in "early preview" stage I'm not yet bothering, but if you want to take on this task and save me some time later it will be much appreciated!

Ytai

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Keelan Murphy <keelanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
James could you post a quick tutorial of what you did please, I'm currently trying to figure out how to add ioiolib to my project with very little success. I'd much prefer to use android studio as I find designing for multiple screens is way easier on it. Once I have the liibraries working I'll hopefully write a step by step guide for Ytai.
Regards,
Keelan

davidmc...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2013, 2:08:24 PM6/9/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
It's pretty simple to get working:

1) Copy ioiolibandroid.jar, ioiolibbt.jar and ioiolibaccessory.jar into your projects libs folder.
2) Edit your build.gradle file like so:

dependencies {
    compile files('libs/android-support-v4.jar')
    compile files('libs/ioiolibandroid.jar')
    compile files('libs/ioiolibbt.jar')
    compile files('libs/ioiolibaccessory.jar')
}

3) Click the "Sync Project with Gradle Files" button (next to the AVD Manager button).

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Jun 9, 2013, 7:08:10 PM6/9/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
But you still build the JARs with Eclipse, don't you?
Where does the "android-support" thing come from and why is it required?

davidmc...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2013, 5:17:45 AM6/10/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
"android-support" is included in every new project but I don't think it's required. See here for what it includes:

http://developer.android.com/tools/extras/support-library.html

Regarding the ioio jars, yes, they were already built in eclipse. I haven't tried building them from within Android Studio. The documentation suggests exporting from Eclipse to generate gadle build files then importing into Android Studio but I didn't have much luck with this with my own project and ended up creating a new project and copying the source files across.

I'll try to get it all working from source and let you know the steps.

Вадим Лазаренко

Jul 3, 2013, 12:26:08 PM7/3/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
I also interested in this issue. Any ideas?

Jed Dawson

Apr 1, 2014, 1:06:39 AM4/1/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Here is a IOIO example repo that you can open/build in Android Studio: https://github.com/jeddawson/ioio

If you import the IOIOLib and IOIOLibBT Libraries from there (the file structure is important with Gradle), you can include either or both as dependancies in your Android Studio project just by adding them to the dependancies in your build.gradle file like this:

dependencies {
compile project(':IOIOLib')
compile project(':IOIOLibBT')