using Xamarin?

otto100

Dec 25, 2015, 5:59:11 AM12/25/15
to ioio-users
Is it possible to use Xamarin for creating programs for Ioio? I'm much more experienced in C# than in Java.
Has anybody already used this with Ioio? Does anybody knows where I could find more information or some samples programs?

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Dec 26, 2015, 11:26:32 AM12/26/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

The question is: does xamarin allow you to include third party java libraries in your app? If not, you'd need to reimplement the library in c#, which is a lot of work.
On the flip side, with a c# background, java should be easy for you...

On Dec 25, 2015 2:59 AM, "otto100" <ru...@deuse.de> wrote:
Is it possible to use Xamarin for creating programs for Ioio? I'm much more experienced in C# than in Java.
Has anybody already used this with Ioio? Does anybody knows where I could find more information or some samples programs?

otto100

Dec 26, 2015, 2:36:17 PM12/26/15
to ioio-users
Hello Ytai,
thanks for your answer.

> The question is: does xamarin allow you to include third party java libraries in your app? If not, you'd need to reimplement the library in c#, which is a lot of work.
I'll check this.

On the flip side, with a c# background, java should be easy for you...

Yes, of course. I'm familar with Java, but the time being I have no Java dev environment installed. And since I'll have to do other Xamarin programming during the next months, I'd prefer that for Ioio, too.

otto100

Feb 2, 2016, 9:46:48 AM2/2/16
to ioio-users
Update: Due to a strong lack of time, I decided to use Java again for the changes I have to make to my old ioio project.
I only have to make minor changes, and I'm not very deep in java libs, so I fear the time and effort to make this work, ioiolibs and Xamarin.

For those which have to decide between Xamarin and Java for their Ioio work, I want to mention a link here, which I found on the net when I was looking for a solution.
http://www.itexico.com/blog/bid/98451/Xamarin-Mobile-Development-Consuming-Java-Libraries-from-C-in-Xamarin-Android-Part-1
http://www.itexico.com/blog/bid/98568/Xamarin-Mobile-Development-Consuming-Java-Libraries-from-C-in-Xamarin-Android-Part-2
Maybe this will be helpful, I don't know.

For myself, I now have to choose between Android Studio and Eclipse, but for this I'll probably create a different thread.
Otto