What Android tablets can be powered while connected to the IOIO card?

Steven Simon

Sep 23, 2015, 9:00:14 PM9/23/15
to ioio-users
We want to use an Android tablet as an HMI. We were considering a Samsung Galaxy, but have seen several reports on this site saying that those tablets cannot be connected to the IOIO and powered at the same time, which is a requirement for us. I have looked in the excellent list of supported devices for the IOIO (https://github.com/ytai/ioio/wiki/Supported-Devices) but don't see any way to tell if a device can be powered while connected to the IOIO.

Can someone please direct me to such a list if it exists? Alternatively, can people recommend tablets that meet this requirement.

My apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find any relevant topics. Thank you for your help.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Sep 27, 2015, 2:15:52 PM9/27/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

I don't think "cannot be powered" is the right description of the problem you're having. It is more like they don't charge fast enough to keep up with the power draw of your specific application (e.g. it might require the screen to be constantly lit, etc).
There are some tablets that have a separate charging port than the USB port, and that might support fast charging independent of the USB state. I have one of those that I got from DealExtreme. This might be the solution for you.

Steven Simon

Sep 28, 2015, 1:18:15 PM9/28/15
to ioio-users
Thank you for the suggestion and helpful information, Ytai.