HelloIOIO + Eclipse

Ben

Aug 24, 2015, 5:02:20 PM8/24/15
to ioio-users
Hello

Not completely new to IOIO but wanted to start a new project and I took the opportunity to take the latest version of the librairies (on Eclipse) .. well it has not been as simple as I thought to make the HelloIOIO to work

Here is my experience (which might save a bit of time to some others)

First the Eclipse Wiki is a good resource but seems not up to date : for example the library IOIOLibBT  no longer exist.

A library IOIOLibCore as per the name seems essential but I could not import it in Eclipse (at the contrary of the others) so I just copied the classes in IOIOLibAndroid and it worked .

By default my Eclipse only take the /gen & /src folders as java sources, I had also to add the /java folder as source to make things working.

+ all the tricks in the Eclipse Wiki made the things working

All a bit too much for a simple IOIOHello application. Might threaten many newcomers

Cheers,

B,

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Aug 24, 2015, 8:57:39 PM8/24/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

See my recent email announcing the deprecation of Eclipse and the new wiki page that talks about Gradle:)
On the flip side, everything become a lot simpler now!

Ben

Aug 25, 2015, 5:48:43 PM8/25/15
to ioio-users
Indeed thanks but may I suggest a little notice on the Eclipse Wiki then :-)   (https://github.com/ytai/ioio/wiki/Eclipse-Troubleshooting)

Not sure I am ready for the shift as I use Eclipse for other development (not android). Maintaining one environment is already challenging.

B.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Aug 25, 2015, 6:21:58 PM8/25/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

You're welcome to edit the wiki, I'll appreciate you doing so.
If you're not ready to move, you can use v5.04 of the software bundle, which is intended for Eclipse. Note, however, that over time bug fixes and new features will not be backported. Also note that with some effort it is possible to tell Eclipse to build your project using Gradle instead of its own builders, thus use the Gradle based software with Eclipse.
Last, note that Android studio, despite the name, is a pretty nice general purpose Java IDE, based on IntelliJ IDEA.

Paul McMahon

Aug 26, 2015, 9:38:30 AM8/26/15
to ioio-users
Ytai,
I haven't fired up the new tools yet, I'm a fairly happy eclipse user.  IOIO is a small part of the app I developed, so I'm wondering if it still makes sense for me to move over to the new tools.
Do I need to rewrite any code to use them?  Do they still integrate with GitHub/BitBucket?
I have made some modifications to the IOIO Libraries--will that present a problem with the Gradle/Android Studio approach?

thanks

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Aug 26, 2015, 12:45:32 PM8/26/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hey there! See inline.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 6:38 AM, Paul McMahon <paul.mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ytai,
I haven't fired up the new tools yet, I'm a fairly happy eclipse user.  IOIO is a small part of the app I developed, so I'm wondering if it still makes sense for me to move over to the new tools.

If it's an Android app, then the Android guys would tell you you should move. While Eclipse is awesome in general, the Android integration in it was never that great and now it's been pretty much abandoned by the Android team.
Having that said, without too much effort you can still import the new code into Eclipse and build it with ADT.

Do I need to rewrite any code to use them?

The client-side API has not changed as result of this change. The change covers moving some sources around to a have a more standardized project directory structure and changing the way the sources are built and distributed.

Do they still integrate with GitHub/BitBucket?

No idea. I'm normally doing my Git flows outside of the IDE. I imagine that there would be integrated support in AS.

I have made some modifications to the IOIO Libraries--will that present a problem with the Gradle/Android Studio approach?

In general, if you're using a modified version of the libraries, you're bound to having to build the library yourself and to re-apply your changes every time you want to upgrade the upstream version.
There has been very little change to the actual IOIOLib source code in this release, and in cases where it did change, it is probably not in places where you'd touch. Applying your changes should go cleanly. The only possible challenge is that most files have moved, so you might need to help the merge process a little if it doesn't automatically figure out the move.
You should be able to ignore the Gradle stuff and just import the source into Eclipse like you used to. It's just that going forward, I won't be able to offer much support for this approach, as this is not a workflow that I'm going to gain a lot of experience with.