Disable checking for updates, please

dex

Jan 27, 2012, 8:31:17 AM1/27/12
to intype...@googlegroups.com
InType is fast becoming one of the best text editors.

1. Is there a way to disable checking for auto-updates every time editor starts? When I will need updates I will rather check them manually myself.

2. Most text editors support keyboard shortcuts CTRL+UP and CTRL+DOWN to scroll screen with caret staying in the same position. Any chance InType will support that?

3. It would be nice to have an option for "Auto-Save on lost focus".
This is mostly for website JavaScript/HTML development: when you edit text in InType and click on the Internet Browser to refresh changed page, InType would save changes on focus lost
and that way make changes instantly available on the Browser (this saves time for doing endless "Save"s for every little change you make and test).
I have seen this feature in Sublime Text 2.

Martin "Cohen" Balazik

Jan 28, 2012, 2:55:35 PM1/28/12
to intype...@googlegroups.com
1. Is the auto-update checking somehow slowing Intype down or stand in your way? It was designed so.

2. Scrolling on Ctrl+Up/Down was already discussed here and we will implement it.

3. Auto-save on update is also planned.
--
Martin "Cohen" Balážik

dex

Jan 31, 2012, 8:12:13 AM1/31/12
to intype...@googlegroups.com
1. It is not slowing down Intype. I just do not want to be forced into upgrades. Some text editors or software packages force you into upgrades. Most of a time it is OK.
But sometimes version 3 of the product is much heavier, much slower and has 900 new features that you do not need. Upgrade is forced while I rather stay on version 1 that is lean-and-mean.

2. I am totally missing execute feature in Intype. It seems to be designed for dynamic languages for the web development: JavaScript, Ruby, Python, etc. Which is great.
And most of a time you test changes via web browser. But sometimes you just want to run script on local machine or open HTML in the browser.
It would be nice to have two menus:
 A) Launch Document menu with F5 keystroke that simply does ::ShellExecute in Windows on current file open in Intype.
 B) Run Makefile menu with F9 keystroke that simply does ::ShellExecute for file that is set in Project or global properties.

Martin "Cohen" Balazik

Jan 31, 2012, 9:07:34 AM1/31/12
to intype...@googlegroups.com
1. Intype won't force you to update, it will merely show a small message at the bottom right that the new build is available. We will consider the option to not check for updates automatically.

2. Both these features are in our plans.
--
Martin "Cohen" Balážik

dex

Jan 31, 2012, 10:46:07 AM1/31/12
to intype...@googlegroups.com
2. That's great. I would like to make a point that most text editors tie external program execution to Projects. If you do not have a project setup - you can not run compiler or open file in external program.
I feel whole "Project" concept came down from heavy IDE (ala Visual Studio). Therefore I do "project-less" development. This is just personal preference.

I find "Open Previous Session" concept in Intype a great idea. You almost get file grouping (project) without a need to maintain it. It just happens... :)
If "Open Previous Session" could be somehow merged into projects then it would be ideal. You get file grouping without spending too much time or efforts to maintain it.

Martin "Cohen" Balazik

Jan 31, 2012, 10:58:09 AM1/31/12
to intype...@googlegroups.com
Well the projects in Intype serve two purposes:
  1. To have a list of files for Quick Open (Ctrl+Shift+O).
  2. To have a quick access to the folder/file structure with basic file operations (rename, delete, etc.).
We will go for a project setup (typically a filter to ignore files will sit there). The project-specific actions such as building will be defined by extensions. So typically a C++ project will have Build, Run, Debug commands defined for C++ projects, etc.

How do you think "Open Previous Session" can be merged into projects?
--
Martin "Cohen" Balážik

dex

Jan 31, 2012, 11:14:06 AM1/31/12
to intype...@googlegroups.com
1. Ability to save "Open Previous Session" as project.

2. Ability to drag & drop directory from Windows Explorer on to Intype and it would be converted into project."Directory as a Project" concept.

3. Having projects for C++ make sense because they usually require number of steps to build/run/debug etc. With dynamic languages it is not the same.
I have used Python last year and doing some JavaScript now. For dynamic languages most important is ability to run current editor file in external program. For that project is not required.

Martin "Cohen" Balazik

Jan 31, 2012, 11:24:45 AM1/31/12
to intype...@googlegroups.com
1. Hm, never thought that would be useful. I'll give it a second thought.

2. Ability to drag&drop directory from Windows Explorer is there (but you need to create a project first). In upcoming 0.9.3 release it is also possible to drag a folder (or bunch of files) to the list of projects to create a new project.

3. Yes, with bundles you will be able to specify a type of project. And for that type of project define commands to be used. So for C++ you'll have Build/Run/Debug, and for others, such as JS or Python you'll have others (just Run).
--
Martin "Cohen" Balážik

dex

Feb 3, 2012, 8:10:15 AM2/3/12
to intype...@googlegroups.com
2. Tried it. Works great.

3. I was always for "project-less" development because project files tend to be hard to maintain and setup. But in InType it is actually nice. All projects get organized "under one roof". Ability to just access any project via "All Projects" tab in Sidebar is awesome. Downside: there seems to be no way to delete the project so it would no longer show up in "All Projects" tab in Sidebar. I hope this coming in next version.

My only suggestion is - keep it simple; many other text editors try to put too many features and over time version 3.x of the editor is almost like bulky IDE (slow and with 80% of features you do not need).

Martin "Cohen" Balazik

Feb 9, 2012, 1:09:24 PM2/9/12
to intype...@googlegroups.com
Hm, removing the projects should be as imple as:
  1. Right-click on the project in the sidebar.
  2. Choose "Remove".
The file will be still kept where it was, but the project won't show in the list anymore.
--
Martin "Cohen" Balážik