IP and writing course descriptions

Jim Purdy

May 10, 2018, 2:56:48 PM5/10/18
to CCCC-IP, pur...@duq.edu
Dear CCCC-IP colleagues,

Do you have a course description for a course (undergraduate or graduate) that you have taught about digital writing and copyright/IP? If so, would you mind sharing? I would be grateful to see some examples for a course I am slated to teach next spring.

You can respond to me directly off list at pur...@duq.edu

Thank you for your help and insights,
Jim

Clancy Ratliff

May 10, 2018, 3:00:49 PM5/10/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

English 556: Seminar in Rhetoric
Fall 2012

Authorship and Intellectual Property in Rhetoric and Writing:
Exploring Notions of Copyright, Plagiarism, and Creative Appropriation

The field of rhetoric and composition studies has produced a
considerable body of work about notions of authorship: the study of
the rhetoric surrounding debates about copyright and file
sharing/piracy; the intellectual history of authorship as a concept;
and pedagogical theory about student authorship, collaborative
writing, and plagiarism. This seminar will engage these scholarly
works as well as current practices in popular culture such as remix,
mashups, and machinima.
       For those interested in literature and creative writing, we will
spend some time discussing authorship of creative work, including
found poetry, allusion, using copyrighted material in video
compositions and performances, and other practices of creative
appropriation of others’ work. Those interested in writing pedagogy –
or who may be interested in a survey-type course in composition theory
– will have the opportunity to form that foundation of knowledge
through reading pedagogical theory about collaboration, authorship in
the classroom context, plagiarism, and more. For students interested
in rhetoric and technology, we will be examining cultural shifts in
ideas about copyright and intellectual property as propelled by
advances in technology, as well as alternative models of copyright,
like copyleft and Creative Commons licenses.

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Assistant Director of First-Year Writing
Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

--