University Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication (UCOLASC) Declaration of Rights and Principles

1 view

Karen Lunsford

May 4, 2018, 1:20:15 PM5/4/18
to intellectual-propert.
Hi folks,
Our U of California systemwide committee has just issued a Declaration of Rights and Principles to Transform Scholarly Communication. They are intended to inform negotiations over journal licensing (as a system, we spend $34M per year on shared access to journals, not counting additional individual campus licensing). The goal is to shift to OA publishing. I thought this group would like to see the document (attached).

I was particularly interested in seeing these entries:
No free labor. Publishers shall provide our Institution with data on peer review and editorial contributions by our authors in support of journals, and such contributions shall be taken into account when determining the cost of our subscriptions or OA fees for our authors.

No double payments. Publishers shall provide our Institution with data on hybrid OA payments from our authors and such payments shall reduce the cost of our subscriptions.

You can find this declaration and other announcements at the committee's website:

Best, Karen
--
Karen Lunsford, PhD
Associate Professor of Writing