NCTE Open Access Scholarship Question

Clancy Ratliff

Aug 24, 2016, 2:48:03 PM8/24/16
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We talk a lot at our caucus meetings about encouraging NCTE to make more of their publications open access. Has there been much discussion, though, about the fact that 17 books published by NCTE are on the WAC Clearinghouse? I don't recall it, if so. I realize all this information may have been shared in a previous caucus meeting I wasn't able to attend, and my apologies if that's the case.

http://wac.colostate.edu/books/ncte.cfm

I am extremely interested in finding out as many details as possible about how this came about:
how the conversation started,
when exactly it started (and how long the process took, from the original request to released on the WAC Clearinghouse),
who initiated it (Mike Palmquist?),
who the initial contact at NCTE was,
what the WAC Clearinghouse's rhetorical strategies and arguments were,
any objections NCTE may have had, and how the WAC Clearinghouse managed those
who in the NCTE organization made the decision to give the WAC Clearinghouse the right to distribute these books,
how these particular books were decided upon,
any plans to release future titles,
etc. etc. etc.

This is a model of successful negotiating that we need to study.

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Assistant Director of First-Year Writing
Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

Karen Lunsford

Aug 24, 2016, 7:58:22 PM8/24/16
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clancy,

Mike Palmquist, Chuck Bazerman, and Dave Blakesley published an
article about the WAC Clearinghouse a few years ago in First Monday
(2008?), and I believe that they addressed some of these questions.
Unfortunately, the First Monday website has been down all day (at
least, for me), so I haven't been able to check.

Best, Karen
> --
>
> ---

Karen Lunsford, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Writing
Coordinator, Writing in the Disciplines
Director, Ph.D. Emphasis in Writing Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara
klun...@writing.ucsb.edu
Office: 1521 South Hall

Jeff Galin

Aug 26, 2016, 3:43:15 PM8/26/16
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.  I had no idea.  Might be worth asking Michael Palmquist.  He would let you know.
cheers,
jrg

Quoting Clancy Ratliff <cla...@louisiana.edu>:

Karen Lunsford, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Writing
Coordinator, Writing in the Disciplines
Director, Ph.D. Emphasis in Writing Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara
klun...@writing.ucsb.edu
Office: 1521 South Hall

Jeffrey R. Galin

Clancy Ratliff

Jul 26, 2018, 8:23:08 PM7/26/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
You'll see that nearly two years ago, I wrote this message to the group. Well, I FINALLY contacted Mike Palmquist about the open access NCTE books on the WAC Clearinghouse (http://wac.colostate.edu/books/ncte.cfm). We spoke on the phone yesterday. He said that it began when he was nominated to serve on the NCTE College Section Steering Committee (which I just rotated off, actually). In his statement for the ballot, he wrote that he had two areas of advocacy: better working conditions for contingent faculty and open access scholarship.

He ended up becoming the College Section Chair, which gave him a seat on the NCTE Executive Committee (again, same one I was on). He kept stating his case about open access in general, and eventually he thought to look at all the books on the NCTE website. He saw that some of them were out of stock -- and out of print. He also talked to friends of his who'd published books with NCTE to find out what he could about how those titles were selling.

He went to Kent Williamson (who was the Executive Director at the time) and asked if he could take those particular titles that were out of print -- that NCTE wasn't making any money on anymore anyway -- and digitize them and host them on the WAC Clearinghouse. Mike thought that was a pretty important selling point, that he (and the Colorado State University Libraries) was volunteering to do all the work himself.

So NCTE had nothing to lose by putting those books on the WAC Clearinghouse. Do any of you have any ideas about how we might use this in our advocacy efforts within the organization? Malea Powell is the incoming editor of CCC, and she is definitely open-access-friendly and has been for years, so it would be a good idea for someone from the Caucus, ideally someone who's worked closely with her, to write to her to congratulate her on becoming the new editor and to find out if she might have any plans for open-access baby steps for CCC. I'd be happy to do it if you want.

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Assistant Director of First-Year Writing
Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

Karen Lunsford

Jul 26, 2018, 9:11:49 PM7/26/18
to intellectual-propert.
That sounds like a great idea, Clancy.       Best, Karen

--

---

Karen Lunsford, PhD
Associate Professor of Writing
Director, PhD Emphasis in Writing Studies
Writing Program

Stedman, Kyle D

Jul 30, 2018, 10:47:29 AM7/30/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Such cool, logical, strategic thinking here. I love that we’re a field that’s actually positioned to be a leader in this kind of thing—that is, we have scholars and websites already set up for this kind of OA sharing of out-of-print work, so it almost seems silly NOT to put that stuff (at least) up.

But I’m just emoting; I don’t know Malea. And I don’t have a strong response to the possible NCTE response: “Ok, sure, when we’re definitely not making money on something, we can talk about letting you do the labor to put that work up on an OA site. But the conversation ends there.”

Good work,

Kyle

--

---

Clancy Ratliff

Jul 30, 2018, 11:14:37 AM7/30/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
I don’t want to put Malea in a difficult position at all. I’m thinking of it like, “we’re here to support you if you have any plans.” For example, every new issue has a [FREE ACCESS] article. Maybe Malea makes just one additional article every other issue open access, that kind of thing. There are definitely other NCTE journals that have more [FREE ACCESS] articles per issue than CCC and College English.

Kyle, I agree; the WAC Clearinghouse is excellent. I was saying to Mike that it’s a trusted and respected brand in our field. If I were pitching the idea of hosting more NCTE materials there, I might even present it as a brand partnership.
--

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

DeVoss, Danielle Nicole

Jul 30, 2018, 12:45:41 PM7/30/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Hey, all!

My office is two doors down from Malea’s. J

She’s in New Mexico right now, but will be back next week, and I’d be happy to chat with her about CCC as a potential home as we keep talking and figure out what option might be best.

Danielle

Professor of Professional Writing

Associate Chair and Director of Graduate Programs

William J. Beal Distinguished Professor

Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures

College of Arts and Letters

Michigan State University

434 Farm Lane #235

East Lansing, Michigan 48824

517/432-2581; 517/353-5250 (fax)

www.msu.edu/~devossda

Clancy Ratliff

Jul 30, 2018, 1:22:21 PM7/30/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Yay! Perfect. Thank you!

Zimmerman, Traci Arnett - zimmerta

Jul 30, 2018, 3:04:12 PM7/30/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
This all sounds fantastic!  Thanks to Clancy and Danielle!

Dr. Traci Zimmerman
Academic Unit Head and Professor
School of Writing, Rhetoric and Technical Communication
James Madison University
Harrison Hall 2252