IP Annual: One more week!

1 view

Clancy Ratliff

Feb 21, 2015, 5:58:00 PM2/21/15
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com, Estee N Beck, ten...@tengrrl.com, Chet Breaux, Amy Propen
Hi everyone,

Please let me know how things are going with your IP Annual piece. You need to have them to me by this time next week. Thanks so much to Amy Propen and Chet Breaux for sending me your articles early! That really helps me get started doing the formatting.

Kim Gainer, Sherlock Holmes case
Jeff Galin, Georgia State University fair use case update
Wendy Warren Austin, Slavoj Žižek book review plagiarism case and/or Nic Pizzolatto "True Detective" plagiarism accusation
Laurie Cubbison, Taylor Swift vs. Spotify
Karen Lunsford, California open access law on publicly funded research
Carol Mohrbacher, review of EFF white paper "Unintended Consequences - 16 Years Under the DMCA"
Christopher Gerben, review of EFF white paper "Open Wi-Fi and Copyright: A Primer for Network Operators"
Steven Engel, Montana senator John Walsh plagiarism case
Mike Edwards, review of EFF white paper "Collateral Damages: Why Congress Needs To Fix Copyright Law’s Civil Penalties"
Traci Zimmerman, review of documentary film "The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz"
Amy Propen, Mapping the Mangroves project (open data and biodiversity): https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/43541
Estee Beck, Copyright and the Cloud
Traci Gardner, 2014 resources for teaching about IP issues
Chet Breaux, The Maker Movement in 2014

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Assistant Director of First-Year Writing
Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Clancy Ratliff <cla...@louisiana.edu> wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is the working Table of Contents for the 2014 CCCC-IP Annual. Please check in with me to let me know whether or not you can still write your piece. The deadline again is the last day of February.

Kim Gainer, Sherlock Holmes case

Jeff Galin, Georgia State University fair use case update

Wendy Warren Austin, Slavoj Žižek book review plagiarism case

Laurie Cubbison, Nic Pizzolatto "True Detective" plagiarism accusation

[...]

Gainer, Kim

Feb 21, 2015, 6:08:30 PM2/21/15
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com, Estee N Beck, ten...@tengrrl.com, Chet Breaux, Amy Propen

Will make deadline. Thanks for doing this, Clancy.

--

---

Jim Purdy

Feb 23, 2015, 12:48:16 PM2/23/15
to CCCC-IP, pur...@duq.edu, ami...@gmail.com

Dear Caucus colleagues,

The IP Caucus at CCCC in Tampa is fast approaching! We have a great schedule lined up (see below), and I'm writing to encourage you to bring a friend—or two or three!—to the Caucus, which, as a reminder, is Wednesday, March 18, 2:00-5:30 p.m. in Room 18 on the first floor of the Convention Center.

Caucus Agenda

- Elections for junior chair. Please email nominations to me (pu...@duq.edu),
Charlie Lowe (cel...@gmail.com), or Tim Amidon (amidont...@gmail.com). As a reminder, eligible candidates must hold an active CCCCs membership; have participated in previous caucus meetings; have a demonstrated record of scholarship, service, or teaching that is related to intellectual property; and not have served as a chair in the last three years. Let any of us know if you have questions.
- Presentation by Heather Joseph from SPARC (Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition). For more on Heather, see http://www.sparc.arl.org/about/staff/heather-joseph.
- Updates on Caucus initiatives.
- Working roundtables to discuss and determine action items for the Caucus. This year’s attendees can contribute to tables on
(1) emergent legislative and legal developments, including a breakout group that will explore the implications of the recent Hathitrust Digital Library and Georgia State University cases; (2) IP advocacy and outreach within CCCC/NCTE; and (3) best practices regarding pedagogical approaches.
- An invitation/opportunity to share your IP stories as they relate to your research and teaching (shameless plug for Karen Lunsford and my research project :-)

Special thanks to Tim for all of his hard working in organizing this meeting and to past chair Kyle Stedman for help with publicizing.

I look forward to seeing you in Tampa!

Jim Purdy

---------------------------------
James P. Purdy, Ph.D.
Junior Chair, CCCC-IP Caucus
Associate Professor of English/Writing Studies
University Writing Center Director
Duquesne University
620 College Hall | 412-396-1293 | pur...@duq.edu

Jeff Galin

Feb 25, 2015, 8:14:35 AM2/25/15
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Clancy,
I have 3/4 written but I need a day our two next week to finish,  as that is my spring break.  I should have it to you by next Monday or Tuesday.
Cheers,
Jrg

Cubbison, Laurie

Feb 25, 2015, 8:15:18 AM2/25/15
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

I’ll need the weekend as well.

Laurie Cubbison                                                                                 Director, Core Curriculum

Department of English                                                                    540-831-6421

Box 6935                                                                                               lcub...@radford.edu

Radford University

Radford, VA 24142

Wendy W. Austin

Feb 28, 2015, 10:40:58 PM2/28/15
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Clancy,

I’ll be sure to get the article (on Žižek  and Pizzolatto) to you by tomorrow night. I’ll spare you a long story about the major computer issues I’ve had this week, but I wasn’t even sure until today when I could get it to you. Sorry for the delay in replying.

Wendy W. Austin

Cubbison, Laurie

Feb 28, 2015, 10:51:02 PM2/28/15
to <intellectual-property-caucus@googlegroups.com>
I could use a suggestion on mine. I'm having trouble figuring out a CCCC angle on the Taylor Swift vs. Spotify topic. It's really about a clash of business models between the recording industry and the streaming services over royalty fees. But it doesn't seem to have much to do with teachers and students, other than media studies and music business students.

Sent from my iPad

tengrrl

Mar 1, 2015, 2:34:42 PM3/1/15
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
I regret that I have to give up on contributing. My mom fell earlier this week. Mom's okay at this point. She's just sore and moving gingerly, but I'm her primary caregiver and I've just gotten too far behind on everything as a result. I had great hope for catching up this weekend, but it didn't happen.

My apologies. I'm hoping I can still get some posts pulled together for the website. Spring break cannot come soon enough for me. Six more days...
Traci

Traci Gardner
@tengrrl and @newsfromtengrrl
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
ReadWriteThink Author: http://bit.ly/tengrrlatrwt

tengrrl logo

Gainer, Kim

Mar 1, 2015, 5:37:52 PM3/1/15
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Clancy,

I have made considerable headway but do need one more day.

Kim

Jeff Galin

Mar 4, 2015, 5:27:38 PM3/4/15
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Clancy,
This case is a shifting sand.  Every day new things are emerging.  I made huge progress today and plan to stick with my overall argument, but I need to read a few things that just got posted by Kevin Smith and an article by Brandon Bultler that appeared two days ago.  I will do my best to get you the full thing by tomorrow night.  I have to be out tonight but am on spring break and am working furiously on this piece.
cheers,
jrg

--

---