CCCC 2019 sponsored panel proposal idea

Jim Purdy

Apr 17, 2018, 12:48:16 PM4/17/18
to CCCC-IP, ami...@gmail.com, pur...@duq.edu, Karen Lunsford, Wendy Warren Austin
Dear colleagues,

We hope your semesters are ending or quarters are starting well! In preparing for CCCC 2019, we have posted to the Sponsored Panel Google Doc Tim so kindly created (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1146S4XmWjVyiHoGV4gX5dqLlHYk4gAyih9IkgbvdV9c/edit?usp=sharing) our idea for part of the panel presentation (the two of us would present one paper/fill one presentation slot). Does this idea fit in with what the  sponsored panel seeks to do? Does it correspond with the Breaking Bad theme?

Please let us know by the end of next week (April 27). We'd welcome being part of the sponsored panel, but we're also happy to submit individually, if this presentation seems better suited to that. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Jim and Karen

Stedman, Kyle D

Apr 19, 2018, 5:01:27 PM4/19/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com, ami...@gmail.com, pur...@duq.edu, Karen Lunsford, Wendy Warren Austin

Sorry to take so long to move on this!

Short answer: I’m definitely up for something on audio remix as a way of pushing against the boundaries of IP. If we go that route, I’d like to have a conversation with presenters (I see a few names in the doc) about the end goal. I remember some talk at the caucus among the lines of “Kind of workshoppy, in the sense that we’d demonstrate some practical ways that IP boundaries are stretched, but without the expectation that participants are actively making things right there in the room with us.” Am I remembering that right? And if so, is that still something we’d like to try?

There’s also a note in the doc an alternative: inviting Siva Vaidhyanathan to be a featured speaker. If that’s something we’re exploring instead, that’s fine—but if no one knows him or is inclined to invite him to come (for free, right?), let’s call it and move forward with Breaking Bad. I think?

Best,

Kyle

--

---

Stedman, Kyle D

Apr 30, 2018, 3:25:29 PM4/30/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com, ami...@gmail.com, pur...@duq.edu, Karen Lunsford, Wendy Warren Austin

Checking back in on this sponsored panel idea. Chances it’ll move forward as described below and in the doc? I can help draft, but I’m not sure if the Breaking Bad theme is on or not (and I’m not sure if Karen and Jim’s draft language in the doc is meant to fit with that theme or not).

(Doesn’t this always happen—no one knows who should start the ball rolling and in the best way? Now excuse me while I go write the same email to a group I’m proposing a workshop with. J )

Wendy Warren Austin

Apr 30, 2018, 6:36:30 PM4/30/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Just to lighten up your day, my nephew who lives in East Brunswick, NJ, used to work with this person who legally changed her or his (can't remember if it was a guy or girl or a transgender person he described)  first name from an ordinary-sounding one to "Rumpelstiltskin." (Last name the same: "Morgan.") For real. I couldn't stop laughing.
Wendy Austin

Apr 30, 2018, 7:16:01 PM4/30/18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Kyle, for posting that note; I know what you mean about the uncertainty. I wonder if there's any way we can include a "performance-oriented" kind of theme into it (?) as a nod to the conference theme. As a sponsored panel, it has "legs" to get in, anyway. I'll help in any way I can, but I'm not so sure I'm going to be participating in the panel, although I will be attending it.

However, here's a little food for thought: Preston Wittwer's article in Midwest Quarterly last August, "Say My Name: Walter White as Rumpelstiltskin and Reading Breaking Bad as a Classic Fairy Tale," is a pretty interesting one that talks about how the show is one about identity and change, and I think that could layer very nicely with the issues of authorship and transformation, along with the accompanying issues of whether something is legal or illegalor rather ethical or unethical, and so on. Bringing in a literary reference, albeit via pop culture /fairy tale genres might also bring in additional listeners to the panel. Throw in this other article for reference/ideas, "Breaking Bad Facts,"  and you've got a cool collection of contradictions to connect to which pairs up well with the contradictions we're seeing in authorship and remixing issues.

Wendy W. Austin

Wittwer, Preston. "Say My Name: Walter White as Rumpelstiltskin and Reading Breaking Bad as a Classic Fairy Tale." Midwest Quarterly, vol. 59, no. 1 (Aug. 2017),  pp. 70-80. EBSCOhost.

Koehlert-Page, Cathren. "Breaking Bad Facts: How Intriguing Contradictions in Fiction Can Teach Lawyers to Re-envision Harmful Evidence."  Legal Communication & Rhetoric: JALWD, vol. 13, (Fall 2016) JALWD. pp.1-38..

p.s. I tried to send the articles themselves as attachments the first time, but it didn't let me send it, so this is a second try.

Sent: Monday, April 30, 2018 3:25 PM
To: intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Cc: ami...@gmail.com; pur...@duq.edu; Karen Lunsford; Wendy Warren Austin