PING: transmit failed, error code 1450

tony guzman

Feb 7, 2001, 4:42:34 PM2/7/01
I have an Intel Pro/1000 Gigabit server adaptor on a HP Netserver LH3 running NT 4 with SP 6. Also installed on the server are two Emulex LP8000 SCSI Ports for a local SAN.

At different, times and not necessarily during strong user activity, the server will not respond to network requests.

I can ping the server from a workstation and it will respond normally, but any request to the server from a mapped drive will fail. Also, when I try to ping from the server out to another ip address, I get the PING: transmit failed, error code 1450 message.

The only way to resolve this issue currently is to reboot the server. What's very strange about this situation is that it also happens to other servers that have the same nic adaptor and emulex cards for the san. I never had this problem on the servers until they were connected to the san.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this before and what steps can I take to eliminate them. Thanks in advance.

Intel(R) Customer Support Joe M.

Feb 8, 2001, 7:37:30 PM2/8/01
Tony:

First, the issue you are seeing is most likely not a NIC issue. The fact
that you can ping the server indicates that the NIC is functioning and your
issue lies within your IP stack. Your error code sounds familiar, but I
could not find any reference in my Microsoft documentation. Have you tried
reapplying the service pack? That is always one of my first troubleshooting
steps in Microsoft* Windows NT*. Also, are you using any of the Intel(R)
Advanced Networking Services? Lastly, are you running any firewall or
network monitoring software? I would highly recommend contacting Microsoft
on this issue.

Regards,

============================
Joe M.
MCSE, CCNA
Internet Support Engineer
Networking Products
Intel(R) Customer Support
http://support.intel.com
sup...@mailbox.intel.com

*All other brands & names are the property of their respective owners.

"tony guzman" <tony....@txdps.state.tx.us> wrote in message

Tony Guzman

Feb 9, 2001, 9:24:51 AM2/9/01
Thanks. I will re-apply the service pack and see if it the problem persists or not. I will also contact microsoft.

Intel(R) Customer Support Joe M.

Feb 9, 2001, 5:17:00 PM2/9/01
Tony:

Thank you for the update. I you find a resolution, and have an extra minute
or two, I would appreciate knowing what the fix was.

Regards,

Joe M.
Intel Customer Support