Windows 8 Alt and Windows Key

jasvindarjit

Jun 12, 2012, 2:09:00 PM6/12/12
to Input Director
The "Alt" and "Windows" keys no longer work on Windows 8 Release
Preview. It worked fine of Windows 8 Customer Preview.

I have Input Director 1.3beta100 installed on the host and client.
Both are running Windows 8 Release Preview.

xOOn

Jun 13, 2012, 3:47:25 PM6/13/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
With Windows 8 Master and Windows 7 Slave the keys are running

jasvindarjit

Jun 13, 2012, 7:12:23 PM6/13/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
To clarify the issue, the keys work fine on the master but not on the slave.

Bluestraw

Jun 14, 2012, 6:49:51 AM6/14/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Same here.  To clarify, for me it's alt-tab and windows-tab that don't work.  Other alt- and windows- shortcuts are working.

Bluestraw

Jun 14, 2012, 6:59:31 AM6/14/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I found a workaround - installed 'Vistaswitcher' which is an alternative alt-tab application, and that works :)

Shane

Jun 16, 2012, 7:49:52 AM6/16/12
to Input Director
On Jun 13, 4:09 am, jasvindarjit <jasvindar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The "Alt" and "Windows" keys no longer work on Windows 8 Release
> Preview. It worked fine of Windows 8 Customer Preview.

Hi,

I ran some tests on the Win8 (64bit) Release Preview running on
Virtualbox. I also found that alt-tab didn't work for me, but the
Windows key did.

I'll do some digging into the alt-tab problem. Its possible that
Microsoft has locked it down so that it must be triggered using a real
keyboard (they did this with ctrl-alt-del in Vista for security
reasons, but also provided a registry setting that could be changed so
that programs like Input Director could continue to perform simulated
ctrl-alt-dels).

Regs,

Shane.

Josh Jordan

Aug 17, 2012, 9:55:12 AM8/17/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
As of today, I am running the Customer Preview on the Master and the RTM on the slave.  Same issue.  Anyone have progress here?

Allen Look

Aug 23, 2012, 9:58:24 AM8/23/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Running RTM, Win+X works on the Slave's keyboard, but not from the Master.  Mapping Win+X doesn't bring up the menu either, but rather switches between Metro and the desktop.

Henrique Pinheiro

Sep 27, 2012, 11:05:51 AM9/27/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I can use Win+TAB with no problems. Windows and Alt Keys work. The problem is with Alt+Tab.

The guys at chromium got it to work here:

It's an enforcement by Windows 8. Apparently the program need to meet this requirements for it to work:
<quoting>
"In order to call SendSAS() successfully the calling process's binary has to:
 - be signed.
 - be installed under %ProgramFiles% or %SystemRoot%\system32.
 - specify uiAccess='true' in the manifest.
 - run under SYSTEM or the currently logged-on user."

Shane Prince

Dec 9, 2012, 1:59:49 PM12/9/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Any updates to this? This is critical that I have alt-tab functionality.

Shane Prince

Dec 9, 2012, 9:28:36 PM12/9/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this, the app works great and will do until ID adds support for alt-tab in win8.

Shane

Dec 10, 2012, 5:25:42 AM12/10/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The design of Input Director is causing issues in implementing this fix. I'm still looking into it.

Shane

will.t...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2013, 5:07:42 PM3/20/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Was this ever resolved?

User

Mar 25, 2013, 2:23:19 PM3/25/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I would like to know if this was solved too!

Doug

Shane

Mar 26, 2013, 5:18:03 AM3/26/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is still an issue. Sorry, I don't have an ETA for a solution for this, at this stage.

Regs,

Shane.

Peter Dolkens

Apr 8, 2013, 6:52:13 AM4/8/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Shane,

  It's annoying that Windows has blocked this, but I'll keep running windows 8 in the good faith that you'll have a fix for us soon!

  Thanks again for a great product,

Pete

Eavesdown

Jun 9, 2013, 10:36:47 PM6/9/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for making this application known. I was almost forced to go back to Mouse Without Borders just to get past this issue on our new Windows Server 2012 machine. Hopefully Shane can get a real fix in place in the future, but VistaSwitcher is a good workaround in the meantime.

Keith Yates

Jan 5, 2015, 8:05:36 PM1/5/15
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Any updates on this, I just downloaded Input Director and it still appears to be an issue.