''host name"""does'nt exist" problem

Je12

Oct 7, 2010, 7:04:02 PM10/7/10
to Input Director
Hi,

The problem is when I enter the slave host name on the master computer
under the master configuration tab, the message "host name """doesn't
exist" appears.

Input Director is just installed on both computers which were
restarted. At one stage the messge that the two versions of input
director were not the same appeared, so I downloaded the newer version
on the master computer.

The host name of the master is entered on the slave computer except
there is a full stop after the host name but ID would only accept it
without the full stop. I'm not sure if this might make any difference.

I run Norton Internet Security suite, on the master computer and set
the smart firewall to allow ID.
I use microsoft security on the slave computer. Exceptions in the
Windows firewall were allowed for ID.

The slave computer is located to the left of the master as the mouse
of the master is closer to my right hand.

I would appreciate any further information that might lead to a
solution.

Regards

Jess

Shane

Oct 7, 2010, 9:57:51 PM10/7/10
to Input Director
Hi Jess,

On Oct 8, 10:04 am, Je12 <je...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> The problem is when I enter the slave host name on the master computer
> under the master configuration tab, the message "host name """doesn't
> exist" appears.

Is the message appearing precisely like that: e,g. "host name """
doesn't
exist".

From the 'Slave Configuration' window (that pops up when you click
'Add' slave) - it should be displaying whatever you've typed into the
Hostname field, e.g.: "host name "DonaldDuck"" doesn't exist".

What are you typing into the hostname field?

Regs,

Shane.

Je12

Oct 9, 2010, 12:00:42 AM10/9/10
to Input Director
Hi,

The hostname of my slave computer was deliberatily ommited as I was
not sure it was safe to display it here so the commas represent the
space of the hostname. The reply is just that, it does'nt exist.?

Regards,

Jen

ز

Shane

Oct 10, 2010, 6:22:47 PM10/10/10
to Input Director
Hi,

A hostname doesn't exist means that when Input Director queried
Windows for that name that it wasn't known to Windows.

Are both computers connected to the same network (e.g. are they both
plugged into the same modem/router?)

If you open Input Director on your slave and switch to the 'Main' tab,
it will display its hostname and IP Address in the "System
Information".

Does the hostname here match what you're typing into the master
configuration tab?

You can also try using the IP Address that was displayed instead of
the hostname.

Regs,

Shane.

Bruce Burns

Jul 21, 2017, 8:03:51 AM7/21/17
to Input Director
I know this is old now, but I've got a master and a slave. They're the same versions of the software, 1.4. My master is enabled as master and slave is enabled as slave. I am not able to write in masters or slaves on either system in anything but lowercase, and both host names include capital letters. Does this matter?

Anyway, both are connected to my WiFi over the same router. They just don't find each other. They're on the same default port, as well.

Please help me!

Mark Paititi

Oct 12, 2017, 4:49:43 AM10/12/17
to Input Director
Just in case this helps anyone. I had this problem when my PC was running on powerline adapters and my laptop was on wifi, both on the same network, just using different types of adapters. When I got a wifi adapter for my PC, it instantly recognized the slave laptop.

Good luck have fun all.

Electro Glyde

Oct 22, 2017, 12:38:17 AM10/22/17
to Input Director
I'd first try these suggestions, then these.

If that does not work, it may have something to do with how your network is set up. I'd see if your NetBios settings are the same on each system. You could also try using different static IP addresses for each system and use them instead of host names which can be more reliable depending on your network router configuration or if you are using very different versions of Windows.