Workaround for right side of screen transition bug on Windows 8

Katelyn Gadd

Sep 30, 2014, 9:08:45 AM9/30/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Tried out Input Director with a Windows 7 master and Windows 8.1 slave. Everything was perfect except for one problem: The right side of the slave screen was dead no matter what configuration I tried; switching monitors on the left side worked perfectly.

After some fiddling I realized what the problem was: The way DPI scaling works in modern versions of windows interferes with how Input Director processes mouse events. It's probably more common that people hit this w/ Windows 8 since W8 tends to come on machines with high-DPI displays.

The fix for this is simple: Go into the Input Director folder on the slave, and edit the compatibility settings for *all five* of the EXEs (the two service exes, input director, and the two helper exes). For each one, check 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'. This turns off DPI virtualization, so Input Director gets native mouse coordinates (in pixels). This fixes the right (and presumably bottom) edges of the slave's screen.

The downside is that this will make the cursor move slower on the slave. If you force the use of the master's mouse settings it will get a lot closer to correct, but might be too fast.

Either way, this makes ID usable when your machines have uneven DPI!

Carleton

Oct 6, 2014, 5:46:05 PM10/6/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I thought that using relative mouse movements also fixes this.

GetYourGoat

May 15, 2015, 8:23:31 AM5/15/15
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
This workaround did not work for me.  Changed the compatibility settings and restarted ID, but still cannot transition off the right side of my Windows 8 laptop.

Jeff Thornton

Sep 9, 2015, 8:47:28 AM9/9/15
to Input Director
I have a docked laptop (HP EliteBook 8740p) running Win 10 upgraded from Win 7 (with dual external displays) between a Win7 master desktop (right) and a Win XP client desktop (left).  I had positioned my Win 10 client to the far right in the Master Setup so I could get work done.  Last night I applied [Apply to all users] the compatibility settings Katelyn recommends and then rebooted the Win 10 client.  I moved my Win10 displays back between the master and other slave in the Master setup and everything immediately worked just as it should.  No performance issues at all.  Thanks, Katelyn!!  By the way, I just paid the invoice from Shane for two licenses (he didn't charge for the first one so I have three total).  Anyone using this for any work or that can afford to support it should buy the licenses.  This product is worth paying for. -Jeff

electr...@live.com

Oct 8, 2015, 6:52:02 AM10/8/15
to Input Director
Thank you Katelyn! This worked for me so far. I would make a recommendation to use the "Change settings for all users" for each ".exe" instead if you have multiple accounts on the PC.

Daniel Tammer

Dec 2, 2015, 6:04:24 AM12/2/15
to Input Director
works great on Windows 10... Thanks for posting it...

Bakan

Mar 6, 2016, 11:25:33 PM3/6/16
to Input Director
the other work around to this is to check and see if you have font and window scaling option set to anything other than 100%.  If you set this higher than 100% you will run into the same dpi problem and the right side not working.  I had this issue and just lowered mine to 100% and now all is working fine.

Nick Bolton

Mar 7, 2016, 6:00:53 AM3/7/16
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
We managed to fix this in Synergy after quite a lot of effort:

Shane, maybe this code diff could be useful to you? Let me know if you need a hand fixing it in ID, we have some spare resources and we'd love to help out.

Nick

--
Nick Bolton
CEO of Symless

li.png  gp.png fb.png gh.png

Synergy: Be more seamless

Nick Bolton

Mar 7, 2016, 6:03:39 AM3/7/16
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
p.s. I think this was the vital commit? We're basically just handing the DPI scaling.

--
Nick Bolton
CEO of Symless

li.png  gp.png fb.png gh.png