portable version or "install just for me" option?

Josh Acton

Jul 25, 2016, 7:59:34 AM7/25/16
to Input Director
Hey Shane,

Would it be possible to have a portable version of this program. I'd like to be able to use it to connect to a remote machine where the "slave" installed version is.. but I don't want to have to install it on the "master". If not possible, would you be able to add the "install just for me" option to the installer so other users of the computer do not have access to the program?

Thanks for your time.

Shane

Jul 25, 2016, 8:11:29 AM7/25/16
to Input Director
Hi Josh,

A portable version would be limited in what it can do (e.g. no ctrl-alt-delete on the slave, can't control a UAC prompt, can't control a slave computer prior to login, can't control multiple desktops, et. al). Because of these limitations, I wouldn't be happy with the experience and confusion the end user would receive.

Regs,

Shane.

V@no

Nov 23, 2018, 6:23:38 PM11/23/18
to Input Director
ID doesn't seem to copy any files outside of it's installed directory, so why can't it be "portable"? I don't mean "leave no trace", but just be able run without going through the installation setup it's very much possible. Install it to a flash drive and launch it on any computer.
From what I can see from installation log, all it needs is register ShellIntegrator64.dll and install service. All this doesn't require an installer, it's just needs a few lines of code (2 lines in CMD). Sure, it requires administrative rights, but that can be requested when first launch, and even clean up after it's exits (I think the service should have enough privileges to unregister dll and uninstall itself)

Shane

Dec 1, 2018, 3:42:43 AM12/1/18
to Input Director
Hi,

Windows imposes restrictions on apps that need to control and monitor the system the way that Input Director has to.

Regs,

Shane.