Is this software still being developed?

Tim

Oct 25, 2013, 12:24:14 AM10/25/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I haven't seen an update in over a year and there are issues with the current beta version.

Could the developer please let us know whether there are still planned updates? It's OK to say no, we can look for alternatives rather than wait for updates.

Thanks much!

Tim

Dec 5, 2013, 12:43:07 PM12/5/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
No replies. I guess that could be considered an answer too.

Carleton

Dec 5, 2013, 12:59:12 PM12/5/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com

There is still a large community following, would be nice to see this turned over to the community for continued development.

Tim

Dec 5, 2013, 1:04:47 PM12/5/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone moved to Synergy from ID? Does Synergy work well with Win 8.1?

Carleton

Dec 5, 2013, 1:07:09 PM12/5/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com

I've been using mouse without Borders... Customizing the layout really sucks, but at least it seems to work.   There are only 2 layout options... Up to 4 desktops side by side or a cube of desktops 2 wide and 2 tall. But... It works.

Keith Boyer

Dec 5, 2013, 1:24:43 PM12/5/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Carleton,

I have tried mouse without borders but I was not able to make it work with my newer router ASUS RT-N16.   In regards to ID, I was able to use it with my older router Linksys E1000.  But when I upgraded to the asus router, ID would not work.  My best guess it that there is setting in the asus router that I have not been able to figure out.

I am looking at the Synergy web site now.  ID was a good software. Something crapped out on it. :(

--
Keith Boyer N4TRN
Orange County ARES

Keith Boyer

Dec 5, 2013, 1:45:27 PM12/5/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I just tried to use Synergy.  It locked up my main computer.  But, the desktop content on my 2nd computer, I did NOT appreciate at all.  All software is being removed.

Keith

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Tim <tim....@gmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone moved to Synergy from ID? Does Synergy work well with Win 8.1?

Russ

Dec 26, 2013, 8:45:13 PM12/26/13
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I have been trying to use it. Server is running Win7 and client is running Win8.1
Several issues:
1. You have to elevate the client to be able to use the remote KB and Mouse when certain windows pop up on the Server, especially windows that seek approval from the admin. Even then, the cursor bounces back to the slave and it takes a second or more for control to come back and let you reposition the mouse on the slave. Pain the the butt and easy to get lost wen working.
2. Server sort of crashes every time the power setting lets the screen shut off. My server is a laptop and I have it set to turn off the display after 5 minutes of non-use. As soon as the display goes off, the system hangs and then comes back up with the display settings all wrong forcing a reboot.

Far cry from how well ID worked when all systems were Win7.

Maxim Bange

Jan 9, 2014, 10:27:09 PM1/9/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Hmm.. Im using ID for almost 2 years I gues. I use it to control 3- 7 pc's, W7 64 / W8 64
NO ISSUES!
However, W8 makes the mouse look gone if there is no mouse attatched, prop can fix that with some regestry tweaks.

Just wanted to say hi! Love ID so must loves its community :-D
We should make a wiskey fund for the developer. I got some BTC with his or her name on it!

Jon Austin

Jan 12, 2014, 1:16:49 AM1/12/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm using ID to control 6 PCs across 12 monitors (2 single-monitor systems, 3 dual-monitors systems and 1 quad-monitor system) most running variants of Win7 (one is running XP) .  It generally works very well; it occasionally seems to lose touch with one particular system, but otherwise is very trouble-free in my configuration.  My two wishes for a next version would be better layout control and a version for OSX.  I would happily donate to the developer as his/her product allows me to use my systems very productively.

I tried Synergy a couple of years ago before finding ID and found it buggy; has it continued to be developed
?

Andrew Leahy

Jan 12, 2014, 1:46:28 AM1/12/14
to input-director
FYI I'm also a happy user of InputDirector for the last 3 years. On two small clusters running data visualisation applications under Windows 7 - one 3x PC and another 5x PC setup.

I'd happily support Shane in further development of ID.

Andrew | eResearch | University of Western Sydney

Tim

Jan 12, 2014, 1:51:13 AM1/12/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to hear from the author one way or another whether we should hope for a new version. It's been working fine for me with 2 Windows 7 machines but one is getting upgraded to Win 8.1 soon (I'm forced to) so I don't know what to expect. I see ID has problems with Win 8 and 8.1 so I'll take a look at Synergy, Mouse without Borders. Any thing else on the commercial side that's known to work very well with Win 8.1?

Tim

Jan 12, 2014, 11:11:50 PM1/12/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, I moved to Mouse without Borders this weekend and it seems to work well with Win 8.1 and Win 7. Sad to leave ID, but what can I do ... I haven't tried Synergy on Win 8.1 as I read there might some issues. If Mouse without Borders turns out to actually have borders, I'll try Synergy next, but for now it looks good.

Chuck Peplinski

Jan 19, 2014, 6:15:14 PM1/19/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Interesting that there's an alternative, and maybe I'll end up there someday.  I guess this is the story of freeware, though this Microsoft "garage project" also looks like unsupported freeware...
I used to use Synergy years ago.  I think I left it when I moved from XP to Win7.  It was nice that Synergy worked with Linux boxes but it also wasn't supported.  Now I run my Linux in a VM on Windows.

I just replaced my Win7 laptop with a Win 8.1 laptop.  I installed ID and made it a slave to my Win7 master.  ID seems to work fine.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Tim <tim....@gmail.com> wrote:
FWIW, I moved to Mouse without Borders this weekend and it seems to work well with Win 8.1 and Win 7. Sad to leave ID, but what can I do ... I haven't tried Synergy on Win 8.1 as I read there might some issues. If Mouse without Borders turns out to actually have borders, I'll try Synergy next, but for now it looks good.

kaserei

Jan 29, 2014, 2:18:15 PM1/29/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I have found problems when trying to use the netbios host names for machines with ID after I mess with my network so I swapped to using ip addresses (and fixing them on the ID master/slaves).

Also what might help is using a network switch/hub to connect the machines using ID as in my config, though I sometimes use ID across wifi, and strangely the netbios names have always worked in that case?

I have been unable to acclimatise to any other software KVM, maybe I'm just getting old.

Keith Boyer

Jan 29, 2014, 9:08:51 PM1/29/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I was actually able to have ID work with the Asus router a few weeks back.  I sent an email to ID.  The tech gave me a suggestion which lead me to the firewall in the router.  Asus firewall / LAN to WAN filter, put each computer IP address and port range number from ID, with the protocol of TCP.. After an reboot / update, BINGO !!!   ID was running again.

I figured it was a firewall issue somewhere.  But with Asus router being somewhat complex.  I was not sure where to start.

Keith Boyer N4TRN
Orange County ARES
AEC Assistant Manager Skywarn Orange County, FL

Maxim Bange

Feb 20, 2014, 7:50:48 AM2/20/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
mouse issue has some sort of a fix! check other posts!

Andrew S. Baker

May 5, 2014, 2:18:28 PM5/5/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I've been wondering the same thing for a while.

I'd love to see an update.  I'm using ID with Windows 7, 8, 2008-R2, 2012, and 2012-R2 with only *minor* issues.   Sometimes the clipboard gets stuck, and sometimes the CAPSLOCK gets stuck in the slave systems, but for the most part it works well.     I do wish that it ran as a service, which would give it priority over other applications, and prevent it from failing whenever the screen locked on the host system, but...

I've tested Synergy twice in the past 3 or so years, and it was buggy in my environment (even with I was all Win 7/2008-R2).  Crashed my machine a couple of times.

Updates would be nice -- more along the lines of stability and fixes, rather than features.

-ASB: http://XeeMe.com/AndrewBaker

Michael Kizer

May 7, 2014, 12:06:56 PM5/7/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
For Windows only environments, Mouse Without Borders seems to work really well. It runs as a service and seems to be pretty stable.

joste...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2014, 9:45:44 PM11/5/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I tried Input Director as a KVM between a Windows 7 machine and an older XP machine. Win 7 was server, XP client. For the first minute or two it worked very well. I was very fascinated, as I'd never done software KVM before. After a bit, however, it started crashing on the XP client. I'd log in with Remote Desktop and restart it, upon which it would work for another two minutes or so, then quit.

The reason I tried Input Director over Synergy in the first place was because of a blog post by a home-office fellow saying that Synergy has not been developed since '06 and he switched to ID. Well I got checking into it myself... turns out that ID development has seemingly been in limbo for about four years, but Synergy got new life breathed into it about four years ago and is now going again.

I went to download and discovered it's not free anymore; they discovered that when left as a choice, only about 0.002% of folks donated. I happily paid the $10 and have not looked back. Go ahead and do the same! Hey nothing in life is free and if a project is to keep going, the devs need food on the table too.

I had one frustration while initially setting up Synergy; the server refused my client, saying there was no client by that name specified. I finally came across a helpful blog post detailing how to add clients on the server. It is not at all hard, but not readily apparent. In the config screen, grab a monitor from the upper right corner and drag it into place; give it the screen name that you configured on your client. Apply changes, restart the service if needed. I'm really enjoying synergy!

Chan Kershner

Nov 9, 2014, 1:33:20 PM11/9/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting.  ID is still working fine for my rather bland Win7 setup, but it is nice to know that Synergy is once again a viable alternative.
chan

Jeff Shanholtz

Nov 11, 2014, 5:22:29 PM11/11/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I sure am hoping this isn't abandonware. It still has fewer problems for me than Synergy or Mouse Without Borders but that's not to say it couldn't use a little love. I just had to install Vista Switcher for instance just to get Alt-Tab working in a Win 8.1 slave. Shouldn't have to do that but it's not the end of the world. I'll be sad though when Input Director deteriorates for newer environments to the point of not being any better than the alternatives.

Maybe paypal donations would help motivate Shane to work on it? I'd happily chip in $10 if that would help. I'm guessing others would too.

Nick Bolton

Nov 13, 2014, 4:06:51 AM11/13/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Shane, I'd happily work on it, for free :)