Master system uses Ethernet, slave uses WiFi

TheOatManPlays

Jul 2, 2017, 8:30:46 AM7/2/17
to Input Director
I have a desktop connected to the internet with an Ethernet cable and a laptop connected to the WiFi at my house, how do i connect them, ive entered the host name (My desktop) onto my slave, (laptop) and it cant find the host name. I've   also tried with my IP address and still nothing. is there a way to connect them anyway?

Jeff Thornton

Jul 3, 2017, 12:10:51 AM7/3/17
to Input Director
Compare the IP addresses of the two systems. They should be the same for the first part of the addresses. A common private network address is 192.168.0.xxx where the xxx is from 1 to 255. 10.0.0.xxx is another common one. If they don't look anything alike then they are on different "subnets". To simplify your task they need to be on the same subnet. The easiest way to do that is too get them connected to the same router. If your router has WiFi and wired ports, it should not be too hard to do that. If your router doesn't have WiFi, you will need to get the WiFi access point you have to be on the same subnet as your router and preferably using the same DHCP server