Windows 7 Firewall suddenly a problem

Gertlex

Jun 19, 2011, 3:22:31 PM6/19/11
to Input Director
I've been using Input Director for months between a Win 7 machine
(master) and a Win XP machine. Partway through yesterday, ID stopped
identifying the laptop - I get the "Slave system xxx failed to
respond ..." popup. Ping still works between the machines (using an
ethernet connection). I see the ripples at the edge of my XP display
when I cause the popup to occur...

Today I found that disabling windows firewall on the Win 7 box
automatically fixes it, and my mouse can hop screens. Changing slave
IP or port doesn't fix anything. The firewall informs me that it is
letting all three Input Director programs through.

Any ideas?

I'm going to try to my Win 7 install for my second computer and see if
that fixes anything... I might also move to a different firewall and
see if that makes a diff...

Shane

Jun 20, 2011, 7:17:50 PM6/20/11
to Input Director
Hi,

You can also do a re-install of Input Director as that will cause its
installer to add the firewall rules again.

Are you running any other 'Internet Security' products? They can also
block network traffic.

Regs,

Shane.

ratkil

Jul 5, 2011, 9:12:47 AM7/5/11
to Input Director
Hello was this resolved?

I am having this same problem and have tracked it down to firewall
explicitly blocking inbound for Input Director. I have tried any
combination of rules to try and get it to let it through but no luck.
If I disable firewwall it works fine but when enabled the same thing
"Slave is not responding". I have tried reinstalling and it will for
a day or two but then stop responding again. I would be more than
happy to work with someone to figure out what is happening just let me
know.

Thanks

Shane

Jul 6, 2011, 8:17:19 PM7/6/11
to Input Director
On Jul 5, 11:12 pm, ratkil <del...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hello was this resolved?
>
> I am having this same problem and have tracked it down to firewall
> explicitly blocking inbound for Input Director.  I have tried any
> combination of rules to try and get it to let it through but no luck.
> If I disable firewwall it works fine but when enabled the same thing
> "Slave is not responding".  I have tried reinstalling and it will for
> a day or two but then stop responding again.  I would be more than
> happy to work with someone to figure out what is happening just let me
> know.

Hi,

Make sure that you've reset the firewall rules for both systems. If
you're comfortable doing so, open the Windows Firewall - there should
be a set of inbound and outbound rules in place for Input Director.

Regs,

Shane.

Gertlex

Sep 16, 2012, 7:58:56 PM9/16/12
to input-d...@googlegroups.com, ger...@gmail.com
Resolved the problem, at least in my case.

Today it occurred to me to search for a way to disable Windows Firewall for a specific connection.  In this case, I wanted to disable WF for the ethernet port that I connect my desktop to my laptop with.  The solution is Dave Bishop's response to this question: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2networking/thread/aeb6c23e-f9c5-403e-b069-41210e265788
(The only thing I have to add to his post is that Windows Firewall Properties is buried in there with a whole slew of things to click on, but it's there! Took a few looks to find it finally...)

Regards,
-Gert

Dean James

Sep 25, 2014, 10:57:09 AM9/25/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
What ever I tired I also could not get input director to work In the end I put this down to a corrupt firewall database.
My solution was to.

• Backup my current firewall policy
• Delete ANY and ALL rules for input director (inbound and outbound)
• Close and reopen Input Director.

This then prompts you to allow input for you firewall policy. So far so good for me!

Carleton

Oct 5, 2014, 10:11:00 PM10/5/14
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I've personally found that W7+ firewalls act funny if have a VPN installed (or hypervisor like vmware workstation or such)... most VPN clients don't register properly their NDIS Device Type so they show up in Network and Sharing Center as unidentified.

(you may have to edit the script depending on what VPN client you have / unknown interface type if this is related to your problem)

Hope this helps!
-DaCeige

DMAJ

Feb 25, 2016, 5:06:39 AM2/25/16
to Input Director
I found my solution by running "Tweaking.com - Windows Repair 3.8.3" Read more at: https://tr.im/wpUG4

I ran the windows Firewall repair tool. There are other options but just repair firewall was enough for me.