I have a leg design - is it suitable?

kris...@secured3d.com

Oct 20, 2014, 6:39:04 PM10/20/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com

Hey

My team made a leg design for a prosthesis that never made it to execution. Maybe we can still use the design on inmoov? Would it be suitable? Most probably it would still need a lot of work regarding that it should rotate a little on the xy plane from the hip. Otherwise, the abilities and limitations of the human foot have been taken into consideration when designing this foot.

All the best
Kristjan
leg1.png
leg2.png

Alan Braga

Oct 21, 2014, 6:22:15 AM10/21/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
NIce, do you have the 3d files?

kris...@secured3d.com

Oct 21, 2014, 6:51:19 AM10/21/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Yep. I'll upload pictures of the 3d printed and assembled version soon. The team was quite big who worked on this so I would really need solid feedback that this is usable under InMoov before I persuade the team to make the 3d files open source and available  hope that is OK.

Andreas Nicholas

Oct 21, 2014, 1:32:53 PM10/21/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
can't wait to start printing ASAP, oh man legs hot of the presses! fun to watch history being made!

kris...@secured3d.com

Oct 23, 2014, 11:25:01 AM10/23/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Some pics from the printed leg.
IMG_6314.JPG
IMG_6318.JPG
IMG_6299.JPG
IMG_6308.JPG

Kevin Watters

Oct 23, 2014, 3:30:09 PM10/23/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Looks Awesome!!! Nice!

gael langevin

Oct 23, 2014, 4:05:44 PM10/23/14
to Kevin Watters, inm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys!
Very nice work you have done!
I've checked your pictures and drawing sketchs. It surely would need a lot of work to get InMoov on those legs considering that the servos will never hold as direct drive. If you post the parts some of the builders could be interested in trying to modify them to get something adapted to the InMoov weight.
The big dilemna I'm trying to solve are the actuators. We need low price actuators, fast and strong that anybody can supply. Once I have that, it will go rather fast to design the rest of the legs I have been working on. I tried various solutions, but I'm not satisfied until now.

So if you guys start designing some legs, I will be happy to see what comes out and ready to adapt around.

Adolph Smith

Oct 23, 2014, 7:07:15 PM10/23/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Can i please have the stls for this legs as it is. I am building a 120cm high inmoov and legs would be perfect for it. Please

kris...@secured3d.com

Oct 24, 2014, 8:23:44 AM10/24/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Hey

We are happy to announce that we are going to release the design on our new 3d printing platform www.3dprinteros.com as one of the free projects :)

Andreas Nicholas

Oct 24, 2014, 8:42:06 PM10/24/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
just signed up, though I haven't played with it yet it looks promising - let us know when we can find the file on there!

kris...@secured3d.com

Nov 17, 2014, 12:33:09 PM11/17/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
THE STL FILER ARE UP!!!

Hey

Our site is still in beta testing so don't share it too much...

You can find the files under my filer "DEMO Cyberleg"

All the best
Kristjan

David Breski

Nov 18, 2014, 12:52:40 PM11/18/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Amazing - thanks for posting them - wonder if a gryro from my RC Helicopter would work for balance?

Dave

Kristjan Järvan

Nov 18, 2014, 12:54:18 PM11/18/14
to David Breski, inm...@googlegroups.com

Probably. Try it and let us know ;)

kris...@secured3d.com

Nov 19, 2014, 10:14:46 PM11/19/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kwat...@gmail.com
Have you had to look at the files - what do you think? Can you modify them so that they would work with InMoov?

Kevin Watters

Nov 19, 2014, 10:50:24 PM11/19/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kwat...@gmail.com
Hi Kristjan!
  Thanks for posting the files up.  As soon as I saw they were available, I signed up and have started printing.  The design is nice.  We will need to make it about 2x the current size to fit the inmoov..  (not sure what the exact dimensions of the leg are yet, how tall is it?)  I'm still printing, but I hope to have the parts ready and printed in the next few days.  I had some problems printing the thigh parts, some of the parts failed, so I reprinted them with support and they came out nice.  I suspect many of the pieces will need to be printed with supports.  D_19_Model_CLSM4_thigh_part3 definitely did not print very well. part2 printed ok, but there was some underhang and spagetti sorts of areas..
  I like the ball socket design for the hip parts, but I am concerned that it's only 1 degree of motion, not sure how it's mounted yet, but being able to move left and right in addition to forward/backwards will be necessary to maintain balance.
  So, I think re-orientating some of the parts so they print easier, and scaling them up to a larger size will be key to get them to work with the inmoov.  However, scaling up some of the parts will make them too large to print on a typical 3D printer.
  All in all very cool!  I can't wait to start assembly
Best,
  -Kevin

Kristjan Järvan

Nov 21, 2014, 4:16:18 PM11/21/14
to Kevin Watters, Aaron Roy, inm...@googlegroups.com
Nice to hear that you are already printing :)

Did you look at what Gael posted? Probably the single-servo-configuration wont be able to support the weight of the InMoov - has to be redesigned. Extendable platform shoes might solve the problem with moving in one direction only :D?

Post a picture when you have assembled it and leave comments. From there we can go on figuring out how to redesign it :)

All the best
Kristjan

Kevin Watters

Nov 21, 2014, 4:41:51 PM11/21/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kwat...@gmail.com, aa...@secured3d.com
Hi Kristjan,
  Yeah, it's all printed out now.  But I think the knee part3 and knee part4 are the same.  I'll have to double check, but I think one of the parts might be missing in the design.  (I may have just printed one of the parts 2x by accident)
Anyway,  photos to follow!  I do have some ideas to maybe us a cyclonic muscle similar to the one here  http://makezine.com/2014/05/28/rise-robotics-cyclone-muscle/
  We could possibly add some joint where the leg meets the chasis to do the left/right motion..  not sure yet.. also the ankle probably also needs that left right flexibility in case the robot is walking on a non-flat surface.
Thanks again!
  -Kevin

kris...@secured3d.com

Nov 21, 2014, 4:49:39 PM11/21/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kwat...@gmail.com, aa...@secured3d.com
Hey

If there is anything missing from the files - please let me know. We don't have to take into account that InMoov would walk on a non flat surface - let's just make a design that works so we would finally have a full robot. After that we can upgrade certain parts to have the functionality that we desire.

I would prefer a full InMoov design today than a fully functional one in 3 years ;)

Kevin Watters

Nov 21, 2014, 6:19:16 PM11/21/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kwat...@gmail.com, aa...@secured3d.com
Hi Kristjan,
  Thanks for the quick reply,  Yeah,  D_14_Model_CLSM4_knee_part4.stl and D_13_Model_CLSM4_knee_part3.stl appear to be the exact same file.  This is the only piece I need to complete the print and then I'll post some pictures with some design feedback
Thanks!
  -Kevin

Kevin Watters

Nov 24, 2014, 5:22:44 PM11/24/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kwat...@gmail.com, aa...@secured3d.com
Hi Kristjan,
  I was curious if you happened to know what happened to the missing part?  I attached an image circling the part that I think is missing, maybe you can help give me a pointer to it
Thanks!

-Kevin

Jose Luis del Olmo

Nov 25, 2014, 4:04:39 AM11/25/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Here other project with amazing legs

kris...@secured3d.com

Nov 25, 2014, 7:50:31 AM11/25/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kwat...@gmail.com, aa...@secured3d.com
Sorry for the delay. Quickfix- you can find the file attached.

It will also be added to the files on https://cloud1.3dprinteros.com/ with the rest of the stl-s.

Hope it works :)
D_13_Model_CLSM4_knee_part3.rar

Kevin Watters

Nov 25, 2014, 10:08:37 PM11/25/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kwat...@gmail.com, aa...@secured3d.com
Awesome!  thanks for sharing out this part. I have completed my print.  I'll try and post some pictures soon!
until I've got a chance to share out better descriptions of it.. here's a quick pic  http://www.myrobotlab.org/content/3d-printed-leg-3dprinteros

bigger stronger faster harder...   I, for one, welcome....

Charles Kerr

Nov 28, 2014, 12:00:06 AM11/28/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
found an opensource robot leg design thay might work for Inmoov.  A full sized humanoid bipedal robot, the robot has been named DyRoS, from Dynamic Robotic System.

kris...@secured3d.com

Dec 1, 2014, 6:27:17 PM12/1/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
This is a little bit off-topic, but I wanted to share a cool tool with you that I made.

My mission was to make making 3D designs as easy as is using MS Paint and I wanted to do it on mobile. I think I somewhat succeeded.

Check it out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tdcp.threedc

Before next year, we will also have .stl converter for saved files so you can print every design you make. My aim was to enable children to make designs and print them - it should be that easy.
We will also launch soon on iOS

Bob H

Dec 3, 2014, 2:42:51 PM12/3/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Are the electronic and motor specs listed anywhere?

theuserbl

Jul 5, 2015, 8:02:03 AM7/5/15
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kwat...@gmail.com, aa...@secured3d.com
 https://cloud1.3dprinteros.com/ is no longer available.
Could you please upload all the files here in the forum or to http://www.thingiverse.com ?

Greatings
theuserbl

nanomole

Jul 5, 2015, 10:28:06 AM7/5/15
to inm...@googlegroups.com
I too was looking for whereabouts of the STL`s. in addition how far has anyone got with this or any other leg design for inmoov. just curious...........

theuserbl

Jul 5, 2015, 1:02:49 PM7/5/15
to inm...@googlegroups.com

in addition how far has anyone got with this or any other leg design for inmoov. just curious...........

Look at the InMoov wiki, then you know it:
http://inmoovuniverse.orain.org/wiki/Legs

But currently don't exists a main page for it. Only the side for legs, arms and head:
inmoovuniverse.orain.org/wiki/Arms
http://inmoovuniverse.orain.org/wiki/Head

Hope it helps.

Greatings
theuserbl
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

nanomole

Jul 5, 2015, 4:14:18 PM7/5/15
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Great thanks for posting the links.

mason reimert

Jul 30, 2015, 11:47:44 PM7/30/15
to InMoov, kris...@secured3d.com
The link is broke , Could you please re-upload?

Joao Raposo

Jul 31, 2015, 8:42:01 PM7/31/15
to InMoov, kwat...@gmail.com
Hi Gael, and all of you in this discussion group.
After reading your comment, let me add some quick notes.

I understand you're thinking of servos because you need to know the angular position of a certain joint in the knee or in the foot for example. In my opinion servos won't never hold the structure of the the robot above the stomach. How much does it weight the robot at this moment? (i haven't started building my own, yet, so it's a doubt for me). On the contrary, steppers will do the job for sure. There are very strong steppers with both torque and force many times higher than the strongest servos you are working with.
The problem is that with steppers you don't have encoders to get feedback of the angular position. This problem is solved with some additional circuitry per each motor. I will investigate next week how could we adapt a stepper for this.
Last, about the cost goal: good news is that steppers with such specs for force and torque are at the same price level (aprox) than the strongest servos we are talking about (maybe 20 to 30 euros each). I think would be good to spend some time considering this different approach. You might get a few surprises with the force and holding  torque of these steppers.
Give more details (aprox) of the weight we are talking about.
After that we have other issues to think about: balance (equilibrium) , position from inertia to movement, etc... but there we have gyros and accelerometers to help us.
Also we would have to consider volume, these motors are considerably larger than servos. You you have to find a way to accommodate the size in the design. For example just for quick reference, below are the typical dimensions of a NEMA 23.
Let's go point by point. Hope i had helped.

Best Regards,
Joao Raposo

Tonerwerk Toner, Druckerpatronen kaufen

Jul 31, 2015, 9:33:27 PM7/31/15
to InMoov

Hello Joao,

i also building the InMoov and i am almoust finish.

Everything over the Stomack ( With Notebook, Batteries, Servos and Inmoov Parts) are between 15 and 20 kg.

So its not a feather.

It will be cool if the Inmoov slowly get Legs!!!!

Boris

Joao Raposo

Aug 1, 2015, 6:29:10 AM8/1/15
to InMoov
Boris, thank you for your answer.
It will get legs for sure! It's just a question of solving some technical points (many...).
After reading your answer, let me add this: i have no doubt we have to move weight below. That is, notebook and batteries have to go down as much as possible, ideally to the belt where center of gravity is. Makes me remember my "Karate" times for many years, resembling to the human anatomy, everything is centered at the hips. 20 kgs is not a feather indeed!!!
In the next few weeks hope to have something to present to the group. After investigate deeply with the sketchs of how the robot is built right now, let me think about this.

Best Regards,
Joao Raposo

Tonerwerk Toner, Druckerpatronen kaufen

Aug 1, 2015, 6:39:04 AM8/1/15
to InMoov
Hello Joao,

here is my private email:

ky...@rentaprinta.de

lets talk there, i can send you some other legs ideas what is maybe interesting for you.

Boris

Andrew Mckee

Aug 1, 2015, 7:03:32 PM8/1/15
to InMoov
I've thought of adapting stepper motors with magnetic encoders however a huge setback to using steppers is they constantly draw power, even when not in motion. This is what draws me back toward a high torque/speed servo adapted to continuous rotation in tandem with suitable drive, whether that be cycloid, harmonic drive or other. The Robotis Dynamixel Pro's ($2790/each) used in the THOR-MANG have approx 44Nm torque, indeed a tall order to achieve, however throw enough brains at it and it is very achievable, it's just time and effort to get there :)

Kameron Kunze

Aug 3, 2015, 3:07:09 AM8/3/15
to InMoov
Hey, tried the link but its dead...does anybody have the .stl files available?
Message has been deleted

Andrew Mckee

Sep 5, 2015, 8:22:14 AM9/5/15
to InMoov
We'll this thread appears to have died a certain death. Unfortunate, considering it would be a major frontier for the InMoov to walk. And a shame when you think of the university students who were able to achieve the CHARLI-L with a $20,000 budget for the entire project, which is proof of an affordable hardware solution for adult size bipedal locomotion.

I hope I'm badly wrong and this thread comes to life again, however I sense not everyone operates in the true spirit of the open-source community, instead 'mining' info from the community, repackaging it and launching a KS/Indiegogo off the back of it.

Regards,
Andy

Anton Fosselius

Oct 27, 2015, 7:36:14 PM10/27/15
to InMoov
 I am hoping to get the time to throw something together that moves, will evaluate my approach, see if it can be fast and strong enough. As i lack a 3d printer and time, I will have to have do with hot glue and VP pipes ;)
Hopefully i will have time to refine it quite a bit. The images above is from a "Rough" sketch in blender, there will be 3x nmea 17 steppers per leg and 2x 28BYJ-48 steppers to control the angle of the foot.
No linkage are shown in the image, because i am lazy, will show the images later this fall/winter, when i have actually built something. If not, then i hope they will inspire some one ^_^

According to my calculations you ought to be able to build a leg for around 60$ with motors & electronics.

I have been looking at the CHARLI robot as well, its awesome!

LEG1.png
LEG2.png
LEG3.png
LEG4.png
LEG5.png
LEG6.png
LEG7.png

Anton Fosselius

Oct 28, 2015, 2:35:32 AM10/28/15
to InMoov
I moved everything to freecad and added the project file, also moved the position of one of the smaller motors, will have to design attachments/proper joints later. I have a bunch of arduinos and 32bit arm development boards since before and have ordered some stepper motors and stepper motor drives now.
legfreecad1.png
legfreecad2.png
legfreecad3.png
legfreecad4.png
robot1.fcstd

Anton Fosselius

Oct 28, 2015, 2:45:40 AM10/28/15
to InMoov
I just wanted to note that this is my second take on this project.
Here is a video of the first leg: https://youtu.be/V6QL-vpKNac (warning, its really getto)

Here are some "refined" parts i created later:
20140819_200432.jpg
20140819_222142.jpg
20140826_115755.jpg

stgro...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2017, 6:07:06 PM3/30/17
to InMoov, kris...@secured3d.com
Do you have the CAD drawing or STL, I like to work on them