Poppy legs merged

peteriwr...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2016, 4:47:23 PM11/28/16
to InMoov

Hi gael, again. I've had an epiphany while preparing my Prussia I3 for the wrist cable holder print, Maybe the legs of the Poppy humanoid could be modified to be the "Endoskeleton" legs of Inmoov, allowing for him to have structural support in his future leg blueprint, as I am thinking of doing this. I have no idea why I am asking these questions either. Comprenede? I'm mad as a hatter.

RobotGuy6

Nov 28, 2016, 4:55:32 PM11/28/16
to InMoov
You can't be serious.... Poppy in general is a very poor design. IMHO it's a joke of a project... At any rate Gael is already well into his leg design. There is no point in a re-design right now....
Message has been deleted

Bodo Facklam

Nov 30, 2016, 3:10:42 PM11/30/16
to InMoov
Robotguy6 I agree, but Gaels leg design is not available and nobody knows when he will publish it. So a lot of people are searching solutions, for more than one year nothing happens. I would be glad for any solution for my Inmoov.

Hopefully waiting for legs
Bodo

Perry S

Dec 1, 2016, 2:02:42 AM12/1/16
to InMoov
I think it has taken Gael a while because designing legs is hard.

I'd love to have some to print as well but I will have to wait. I encourage you to submit solutions and develop designs. This is open source after all. Gael has provided us that solution already. It is a complex subject.

I don't think the Poppy design will get us there. My bot is heavy.

Bodo Facklam

Dec 1, 2016, 5:23:30 AM12/1/16
to InMoov
Yes you are completely right, it's open source. But I think it is not very effective when a lot of persons bring their own solutions in. The better way would be to cooperate by developing one solution. I am for example not such a good designer, but I am very experienced in programming. So it would be very helpful for me to have a hardware solution or developed ideas for the construction, then it would be much easier to develop the software.

Mindless

Dec 4, 2016, 12:40:51 AM12/4/16
to InMoov

Hi Guys,,, Correct me if I’m wrong,, But hasn’t the” DIY Servo” just  got all the bugs works out last month sometime..?,, I think this was the breakthrough Mr Gael has been waiting for,,,- there’s a post by Kwatters over at MRL that shows a working  knee Joint – So now you can use any type of motor for the servo- which for the legs would be large gearbox motor or drill motor etc,,

,

http://myrobotlab.org/content/diy-servo-service

gael langevin

Dec 4, 2016, 4:48:25 PM12/4/16
to Mindless, InMoov
Precisely!
I am now able to work again on the legs using the DIY servo service. Having low cost powerfull and fast servos was the keychain I was missing.

Forget Poppy's legs. Poppy has never been able to walk anyway(though they claim it does... what's the point?).

InMoov leg test with 12v planetary gear motor:
http://inmoov.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/TestKneeSpeed2.mov

Gael Langevin
Creator of InMoov
InMoov Robot
@inmoov

Mindless

Dec 4, 2016, 7:23:17 PM12/4/16
to InMoov

Wicked,,, Very nice design on the legs too,,, the planetary Gearbox is a great choice for the legs it gives plenty of option for the final crown& pinion gears to work out any speed/toque problems,,,,- I was looking through Thingiverse the other day for a small planetary unit or a gear train to fit inside a 3d printed ¼ scale servo to see if a ¼ scale servo can be made viable,, (already got plenty of gears trains that could drive it but want to try a 3d printed version),, - I’ve got the servo housing made to scale and a Tamiya Tamtech 370 (sports tuned) motor which has got the toque and fits inside the servo housing  beautifully  ,,, now it’s just Time and Trail & Error-and trying to fit it in-between other projects- the Diy Servo System is a real game changer,,,

Qeebo Artist

Dec 5, 2016, 1:05:30 PM12/5/16
to InMoov
Gael, have you thought about the parallel leg design, xrobots used for his gnkDroid walking robot?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Anton Fosselius

Dec 6, 2016, 7:04:48 AM12/6/16
to InMoov

So what you need is an SEA (series elastic actuator) preferably built using a strong BLDC, think hobby airplane motor.

see this:
or if you prefer videos:

I am currently building a lightweight SEA that i will release as opensource when its done. I am still trying to build a lowcost walking biped.
Will see if i get my constuction stable/strong enough, might have to switch back to driving the train from a linear rod again, but that adds a lot of weight.
Will use a hall sensor or linear pot to measure spring compression.

Anton Fosselius

Dec 6, 2016, 7:20:06 AM12/6/16
to InMoov

ou can build a rotory elastic actuator like this:

its from this paper: http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/skoge/prost/proceedings/ifac2014/media/files/0987.pdf

Mindless

Dec 6, 2016, 11:08:19 PM12/6/16
to InMoov
Nice,,,, Thanks for posting the docs on this stuff Anton- its good info- I see your raiding you R/C gear for parts,, it handy stuff for R&D—post a message when you’re going to release your work on Thingiverse- I’d like to check it out-

gael langevin

Dec 7, 2016, 3:27:10 PM12/7/16
to Mindless, InMoov
Very good progress Anton!
If you have a video posted on Youtube, I sure would like to sse it in action.
Thanks for posting these updated pictures!

Gael Langevin
Creator of InMoov
InMoov Robot
@inmoov

Nice,,,, Thanks for posting the docs on this stuff Anton- its good info- I see your raiding you R/C gear for parts,, it handy stuff for R&D—post a message when you’re going to release your work on Thingiverse- I’d like to check it out-

Anton Fosselius

Dec 7, 2016, 4:25:48 PM12/7/16
to InMoov, anthony...@y7mail.com
sure
still in early development, waiting for some electronics and are printing a new design with aligned wires.
first prototype was just proof of concept and no attachments for sensors or holes for wires where made.

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 9:27:10 PM UTC+1, gael langevin wrote:
Very good progress Anton!
If you have a video posted on Youtube, I sure would like to sse it in action.
Thanks for posting these updated pictures!

Gael Langevin
Creator of InMoov
InMoov Robot
@inmoov

Nice,,,, Thanks for posting the docs on this stuff Anton- its good info- I see your raiding you R/C gear for parts,, it handy stuff for R&D—post a message when you’re going to release your work on Thingiverse- I’d like to check it out-

Perry S

Dec 7, 2016, 6:06:43 PM12/7/16
to InMoov
The raiding is real. Now that I have a working robot I no longer have working planes, cars, helicopters, drones ...

Anton Fosselius

Dec 8, 2016, 2:14:41 AM12/8/16
to InMoov
Nah, i do not own any RC car/planes/helis or quads. everything i have is bought for my robot projects ;) also bought one of thos "200 different springs" kits, but i figured it will probably be better with RC stuff. or you have to make the springs your self to your own spec.
But to keep the cost down i have to go as low weight as possible and only use off-the-shelf products.

gael langevin

Dec 8, 2016, 3:19:43 AM12/8/16
to Perry S, InMoov
Thanks Anton for the video!
With that sort of motor, it's going to be a fast actuator. So fast that you might need the software to be able to ramp the speed, otherwise it might overshoot the potentiometer.
Or maybe you plan to have a rotary encoder on the motor itself?

Gael Langevin
Creator of InMoov
InMoov Robot
@inmoov

Anton Fosselius

Dec 8, 2016, 4:17:20 AM12/8/16
to InMoov, perry.s...@gmail.com
i will use a hall effect sensor, see this:
and this:

The circumference of the pully on the motor pin will be linear to how much the sled will move per rotation. but i think i will have to gear down a bit.
right now its ~ 8mm / rotation.

Right now the sled can be backdriven, i am not sure this is that good, so might have to switch back to a linear rod, will test with a M4 screw rod.
M4 got a pitch of 0.7mm, so then the sled will move 0.7mm/rotation if i do not gear it down.

The A2212 i use is a KV1000, so it will rotate ~ 7400RPM at 7.2v, thats ~ 127 rotations/sec and a travel distance of ~9 cm/sec with the M4 rod.
but in practice it takes some time to go from 0 to7400RPM, especially during load. so it will be very interesting to see how this will behave.

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 11:08:19 PM UTC-5, Mindless wrote:
Nice,,,, Thanks for posting the docs on this stuff Anton- its good info- I see your raiding you R/C gear for parts,, it handy stuff for R&D—post a message when you’re going to release your work on Thingiverse- I’d like to check it out-

Anton Fosselius

Dec 8, 2016, 4:48:49 AM12/8/16
to InMoov
You can also simulate a spring with the bldc motors to get the exact behaviour you want, but then you lose the energy storage feature and add lots of complexity, but the result is awesome.
see this:
and this:

Anton Fosselius

Dec 8, 2016, 5:37:01 PM12/8/16
to InMoov
An update on my linear actuator, the pully/wire system in its current design is a failure,
Lessons learned:
1. pully and wire will get very hot if there is some slippage, my wire (fishing line) melted as well as the pully.
2. the torque was lower then expected when the speed of the motor was close to zero.

I expected low torque as i used 5v 2.5A, but will later use a 11v lipo that will be able to push much more power.

i figure gearing down 1:2 or 1:10 and using a M4 rod will give me something more solid, and less complex at the cost of some added weight.

Mindless

Dec 8, 2016, 10:14:10 PM12/8/16
to InMoov

Yep,,, That"s R&D,,,,Iv got boxes full of failed R&D Parts-  But i after while you seam to find the right method in a moment of madness,,,,,,lol