Issue 16 - July 2008 - Community Edition (3.8 MB)

Nitin Pai

Jun 30, 2008, 10:38:58 AM6/30/08
to ini-p...@googlegroups.com

Dear reader,

Foreign policy at the crossroads---for India, which needs leadership and a renaissance in the way it conducts its foreign affairs; and for the United States, as it contemplates its own role in a rapidly changing world. You will find these issues covered in the July 2008 issue of Pragati - The Indian National Interest Review. In addition, we also initiate a debate on whether Indian companies should care about the national interest when they invest abroad. This month's cover story, an in-depth piece on the broad contours of India-Israel relations, discusses bilateral co-operation in agriculture, defence and high-technology areas.

The two articles in the round-up section also cover agriculture and food security policy---and new ways of thinking about them.

And lastly, in the books section, you will find a review of We are like that only Rama Bijapurkar's new book on the Indian consumer.

Enjoy your issue - Read & Share

best regards

The Pragati team

ISSUE CONTENTS

"Adamant for drift, solid for fluidity"

India needs leadership and a renaissance in its foreign policy
Harsh V Pant?

Business interests vs national interests
As Indian companies grow abroad
Sameer Wagle & Gaurav Sabnis

The myth of illiberal capitalism
Multi-polarity, democracy and what the US might do about them
Dhruva Jaishankar

FILTER

A survey of think-tanks
The post-American world; Asian geopolitics
Vijay Vikram

IN DEPTH

The India-Israel imperative
Indo-Judeo commonalities: the symbolic and the substantive
Martin Sherman

ROUNDUP

Fruits of knowledge
Apply knowledge-economy processes for food security
Mukul G Asher & Amarendu Nandy

Needed: A new monsoon strategy
The focus should be on groundwater recharge
Tushaar Shah

BOOKS

Know your consumer?
A review of Rama Bijapurkar's We are like that only
Aadisht Khanna

pragati-issue16-jul2008-communityed.pdf