For Id 131011 NS1

Neha Singh

Oct 13, 2011, 3:40:27 AM10/13/11
to efloraofindia

This wild shrub I photographed at Pune ( Warje). on 5.10.11.
I went again for taking pics but cauz of  incessant rain in last few days here.. it was tattered.
So Plz identify with these poor pics.

Thanks

Neha Singh

DSCN2435.JPG
DSCN2436.JPG
DSCN2438.JPG
DSCN2439.JPG
DSCN2453.JPG
DSCN2455.JPG

H S

Oct 13, 2011, 3:42:56 AM10/13/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
I guess some Leucas species..

regards

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2011, 3:44:36 AM10/13/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
I hope Sesamum indicum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2011, 3:47:35 AM10/13/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Sorry, leaves are opposite

H S may be right

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2011, 3:50:50 AM10/13/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Perhaps Leucas aspera

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neha Singh

Oct 13, 2011, 5:58:42 AM10/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, hemsan.bh, efloraofindia
Thanks H S sir n Gurcharan sir.
Leucas sp for sure but Gurcharan sir I m nt sure abt.Leucas aspera.
Flower looks same but leaves dont. Only in 1-2 pics leaves match otherwise leaves of this sp r acicular and in d pics they r not.

I hv dwnlded one pic of Leucas aspera and putting both mine n that one for comparison.Plz judge.

Neha

Leucas_aspera_in_Tamil_Nadu.jpg
DSCN2438.JPG

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 13, 2011, 6:06:06 AM10/13/11
to Neha Singh, Gurcharan Singh, hemsan.bh, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
Please check Leucas lavandulifolia of Lamiaceae family. Copying this to Vijay for validation.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Neha Singh

Oct 13, 2011, 7:10:22 AM10/13/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Gurcharan Singh, hemsan.bh, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
 I m still in doubt Giby Sir. Leaves of Leucas lavandulifolia dont match either. I referred Dinesh Sir's Pic .( link attachd)

 Leaves of
L. lavandulifolia n  L. aspera looks same,( both serrate)  but of this sp. looks different (smooth margins).

I duuno , may b I m wrong.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/517437888/

Neha

H S

Oct 13, 2011, 7:26:32 AM10/13/11
to Neha Singh, Giby Kuriakose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
Neha ji please check with some Herbarium specimens in Good herbarium Institute for confirming the species identification,, I am unable to locate the proper texture of the leaves in the photographs and some minute details..

thanks..

Neha Singh

Oct 13, 2011, 7:32:27 AM10/13/11
to H S, Giby Kuriakose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
H S sir I'll try to do so.
Also d plant is there, may b tattered but I can photograph leaves I think.
I will try to get some detailed pics of leaves ,soon.( plz tell me  should i concentrate on something in particular ?)

Thanks.

Vijayasankar

Oct 13, 2011, 4:22:07 PM10/13/11
to Neha Singh, H S, Giby Kuriakose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
The entire leaves and straight-mouthed calyx point to Leucas longifolia, but differs in having solitary flowers. Agree with Neha ji, it is not L. aspera nor L. lavendulaefolia - both of these have strongly oblique calyx mouth and serrate leaves etc. More views of pictures, close-up shots should help. Pl also refer Dr. V.Singh's monograph for easy and correct id.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 13, 2011, 9:55:28 PM10/13/11
to efloraofindia
Oh there is strong scientific fight going on here. Yes, Neha, you
should always check authentic literatures or herbaria specimens. Pics
on internet are not always reliable and we have faced that issue so
many times. As I always say, assigning an incorrect name is not wrong,
but not accepting my mistakes is wrong.
Keep it up. Thanks H.S. for keeping this thread alive.
Pankaj

Vijayasankar

Oct 13, 2011, 11:44:12 PM10/13/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj, for spicing up the discussion with useful punch dialogues :)

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Neha Singh

Oct 14, 2011, 4:21:18 AM10/14/11
to Vijayasankar, H S, Giby Kuriakose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Photographed today. I hope this'll help.
Thanks all.

Regards
Neha
DSCN2528.JPG
DSCN2529.JPG
DSCN2534.JPG
DSCN2537.JPG
DSCN2541.JPG
DSCN2542.JPG
DSCN2546.JPG

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 14, 2011, 5:13:58 AM10/14/11
to Neha Singh, Vijayasankar, H S, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Very nice to see that Neha ji has critically checked the id based on the suggestions.
I agree with H S ji, Pankaj and Vijay that the person who collected/photographed the plant should cross check the id for confirmation with key characters. As we cant see most of the characters in pictures there are chances that the id may go wrong.
Here in this case, I erred in suggesting L. lavendulaefolia, and now I feel that the id suggested by Vijay would be correct.
Please refer some earlier threads @ and reference therein

Regards,
Giby

Neha Singh

Oct 14, 2011, 7:33:57 AM10/14/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Vijayasankar, H S, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia

Thanks Giby Sir and yess, it matches with d images in d thread.

Then finally it is
Leucas longifolia.( but with solitary flowers,as Vijayasankar Sir  pointed out) .

Thank you all.

Regards
Neha  S

Satish Phadke

Oct 14, 2011, 9:15:06 AM10/14/11
to Neha Singh, Giby Kuriakose, Vijayasankar, H S, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
There are a large number of these plants on all the hills and open areas around Pune.
Nice discussion in the thread. I have also taken pictures of the plant recently. Will post them in a different thread.
By the way I would request members to post pictures of identified plants of Leaucas aspera and L.infundibulifolia to clear the doubts further
Thanks
--
Dr Satish Phadke