Solanum villosum ABJUN01/14

Ashwini Bhatia

Jun 30, 2016, 11:07:20 AM6/30/16
to efloraofindia
This small plant grows on the ground and on stone walls here. The fruit is a tomato-coloured small berry. I think this is Solanum villosum. Please advise.

Solanum villosum—Red-fruited Nightshade
Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1800m
29-30 June 2016

Thanks.
Ashwini

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 30, 2016, 12:04:11 PM6/30/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Yes Ashwini ji
Very good photographs.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

ash...@ashwinibhatia.com

Jun 30, 2016, 12:06:50 PM6/30/16
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Dr Singh.

Regards,
Ashwini

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
This small plant grows on the ground and on stone walls here. The fruit is a tomato-coloured small berry. I think this is Solanum villosum. Please advise.

Solanum villosum—Red-fruited Nightshade
Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1800m
29-30 June 2016

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_9079_29June2016.jpg>
<_MG_9815_30June2016.jpg><_MG_9821_30June2016.jpg>
<_MG_9098_29June2016.jpg><_MG_9100_29June2016.jpg>

J.M. Garg

Jul 1, 2016, 1:21:48 AM7/1/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Always nice to see.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

ash...@ashwinibhatia.com

Jul 1, 2016, 3:01:07 AM7/1/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Always nice to share! Thank you Mr Garg.

Regards,
Ashwini

On 01-Jul-2016, at 10:51 AM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Always nice to see.

On 30 June 2016 at 20:36, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
This small plant grows on the ground and on stone walls here. The fruit is a tomato-coloured small berry. I think this is Solanum villosum. Please advise.

Solanum villosum—Red-fruited Nightshade
Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1800m
29-30 June 2016

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_9079_29June2016.jpg>
<_MG_9815_30June2016.jpg><_MG_9821_30June2016.jpg>
<_MG_9098_29June2016.jpg><_MG_9100_29June2016.jpg>

ash...@ashwinibhatia.com

Jul 1, 2016, 3:02:39 AM7/1/16
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Dr Singh,
I forgot to ask if it is safe to eat the fruit. Please advise.

Nidhan Singh

Jul 1, 2016, 3:26:24 AM7/1/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nice pics Ashwini Ji, the berries can be safely consumed, they are good in taste...
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

J.M. Garg

Jul 1, 2016, 3:31:51 AM7/1/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
We used to eat them in our childhood.

Ashwini Bhatia

Jul 1, 2016, 6:14:37 AM7/1/16
to Nidhan Singh, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Nidhan Singh ji. I picked one after this message and it was indeed tasty.

Ashwini Bhatia

Jul 1, 2016, 6:15:01 AM7/1/16
to J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Mr Garg. I will collect these more often.

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 1, 2016, 12:35:17 PM7/1/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Yes Ashwini ji, we used to eat ripe ones of both S. nigrum and S. villosum in our childhood, but not unripe green berries considered toxic.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

ash...@ashwinibhatia.com

Jul 1, 2016, 12:49:20 PM7/1/16
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Dr Singh. I will make sure to pick only the ripe ones.

Regards,
Ashwini

Ushadi Micromini

Jul 1, 2016, 1:40:28 PM7/1/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
all those foraging in the wild classes I have attended and lived off of in weekends has
always said to learn to distinguish between the nightshades.

Please learn to differentiate them

this one you are showing is indded
edible, berries when ripe.
NOT leaves. nor the unripe ones.

The one to be BEWARE of is the nightshade named but rally the
Atropa  belladona:

Please look up all the guides and the internet for the distinguishing features.  FOR a quick reference.

==
just as an side....
There is a good book, i have perused it though not bought it myself

called the Black nightshades

i cant find it to buy
may be better horticulture or botany libriries in INdia will have one.

usha di
Usha di

Ashwini Bhatia

Jul 2, 2016, 9:19:21 PM7/2/16
to Ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh
Thank you Ushadi. I wouldn’t have eaten the ripe berries of this plant had Nidhan Singh ji, Mr Garg and Dr Gurcharan Singh not confirmed. I will do the same with other plants.

Regards,
Ashwini