Corchorus olitorius

geeta arun

Sep 28, 2009, 1:27:39 PM9/28/09
to indiantreepix
Dear friends,
Posting photographs of Corchorus olitorius (Banpat) Tilliaceae family.
Place --  Sanjay gandhi National Park-Borivali --Mumbai  20th SEPT 2009.
Regards,
Geeta Samant

Corcorus olitarus -- Banpat -- Tiliaceae family.jpg ...jpg
Corchorus olitorius--Flowers..jpg...jpg
Corchorus olitorius -- Fruits..jpg

Dinesh Valke

Sep 28, 2009, 1:31:56 PM9/28/09
to geeta arun, indiantreepix
... commonly known as: jew's mallow, nalta jute, tossa jute • Bengali: ভুংগীপাট bhungipat, deshi pat, meetha pat, tosha pat • Hindi: जनासकाकोषटो janascha kashto, जूतन jutan, मीथ पाट mitha paat, पाट paat, पाट साग pat-sag, पटसन patsan, पट्ट patta, tosha paat • Kannada: chunchali gida, kadusenabu • Marathi: बनपात banpat, मोटीछूंछ motichhunchh  • Oriya: kaunria • Sanskrit: महाचञ्चु mahachanchu • Tamil: காட்டுத்துத்தி kattuttuti, peratti, பெரும்பிண்ணாக்குக்கீரை perumpinnakkukkirai, sanal • Telugu: parinta, పేరంటాలికూర

Regards.

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Sep 28, 2009, 1:33:56 PM9/28/09
to geeta arun, indiantreepix
This is not C. olitorius, may be C. tridens. I will upload C. olitorius soon.

Gurcharan Singh

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

Dinesh Valke

Sep 28, 2009, 1:52:23 PM9/28/09
to Dr Gurcharan Singh, geeta arun, indiantreepix
... Geeta ji, your plant is most probably C. aestuans ... I did not verify the fruits earlier.
Regards.

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Sep 28, 2009, 2:00:22 PM9/28/09
to Dinesh Valke, geeta arun, indiantreepix
Yes Dinesh ji
Wings are very clear, it is C. aestuans. I have posted C. olitorius separately.

Gurcharan Singh

geeta arun

Sep 28, 2009, 3:06:26 PM9/28/09
to Dr Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dineshji & Gurucharanji,
Posting two more pictures which have better views of fruits.
Regards,
Geeta Samant.

Corchorus.jpg
corchorus...jpg

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Sep 28, 2009, 4:11:02 PM9/28/09
to geeta arun, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Geeta ji
Your plant seems to be C. aestuans without much doubt. My plant will have to be resolved.

Gurcharan Singh

geeta arun

Sep 29, 2009, 12:15:06 PM9/29/09
to Dr Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Thanks Dineshji & Gurucharanji
Geeta Samant.

Satish Phadke

Oct 2, 2009, 10:56:51 AM10/2/09
to indiantreepix Indian
Recently a lot of discussion took place on the genus Corchorus.
I decided to study maximum characters of this plant found in Pune today.
It appears to be
Corchorus olitorius
Suggestive facts..........
Leaves alternate; Elliptic ovate with rounded base; acute/acuminate at apex; serrate; lower serratures on both sides prolonged into filiform appendages(Nicely seen in image2)Flowers in leaf opposed axillary peduncles.
Flowers 1 cm yellow. Sepals 5 oblong apiculate Petals oblong spathulate. Style short.
Capsule 10 ribbed,long, linear, cyllindric, erect, beaked(?) 5 valved(Seen in magnified cut section image4)
Cheers
Satish Phadke
--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Corchorus 1.jpg

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2009, 11:31:37 AM10/2/09
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian

Satish ji
Your plant was (and is) definitely C. olitorius. No doubt on that. My plant will have to be relooked (I will do when I reach back Delhi on 13th).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018
Phone: 01125518297; Mobile: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/