Plant for ID SMP4 - 25/1/2011

Satish Phadke

Jan 25, 2011, 12:30:40 PM1/25/11
to indiantreepix
An aquatic herb for ID.
White flower of the size around 5 cm.
Dr Phadke
_MG_960521s.jpg
_MG_965549s.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 25, 2011, 12:41:07 PM1/25/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
This could be Ottelia alismoides.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Vijayasankar

Jan 25, 2011, 1:22:38 PM1/25/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Yes, it is Ottelia alismoides (Hydrocharitaceae).

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

tanay bose

Jan 25, 2011, 3:37:43 PM1/25/11
to Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Ottelia alismoides
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Arya

Jan 26, 2011, 4:01:53 AM1/26/11
to tanay bose, Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks Satish Ji for sharing
New plant for me. Is this common in your area

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Satish Phadke

Jan 26, 2011, 11:37:49 AM1/26/11
to Balkar Arya, tanay bose, Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks Balkar ji
Though I have recorded on my camera for the first time the plant appears to be not uncommon.
It is mentioned in Srikantji's FOS as 'Bhat Kamal' भात कमळ  as it is common in flooded rice fields and lakes and ponds of Konkan.
Family : Hydrocharitaceae.
Dr Phadke

Balkar Arya

Jan 27, 2011, 1:45:10 AM1/27/11
to Satish Phadke, tanay bose, Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks Satish ji for information

Pardeshi S.

Jan 27, 2011, 9:23:36 AM1/27/11
to efloraofindia
Hello all
Observed this abundantly growing in the wet lands and water logged
areas of Bihar.

Please find photos in other link (cannot attach photographs here)