Grewia oppositifolia Roxb. ex DC.SN Nov23

Skip to the first unread message

Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

20 Nov 2014, 3:18:14 am20/11/14
to efloraofindia
Grewia oppositifolia Roxb. ex DC (= Grewia emarginata Wight & Arn), from scrub jungle area of Krishnagiri dt Tamilnadu at an altitude of 800m.
grewia emarginata - Copy.JPG
grewia emarginata3 - Copy.JPG

J.M. Garg

26 Nov 2014, 2:06:46 am26/11/14
to Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, efloraofindia
Thanks, Santhan ji.
I am confused with the taxonomy of Grewia oppositifolia as per links below:

Grewia oppositifolia Buch - Ham ex D.Don (= Grewia optiva J. R. Drumm. ex Burret) as per the following:
GRIN

G. oppositifolia Buch.- Ham. ex D. Don as per Flora of India vol-3 published by BSI Kolkata P. Daniel & M. Chandrabose (1993)

An Excursion Flora of Central Tamilnadu, India By K. M. Matthew (1995) - Grewia oppositifolia Buch - Ham ex DC. with Grewia marginata Wight & Arn. as a syn.
Grewia oppositifolia Buch - Ham ex Roxb. as per From Floral Database of Tamilnadu

Forest Plants of Eastern India By Amal Bhusan Chaudhuri (1993) - Grewia oppositifolia ROXB. (different from Grewia oppositifolia Buch)

Further The Plant List mentions the following:
Grewia oppositifolia Buch.-Ham. ex Roxb. is a synonym of Grewia optiva J.R.Drumm. ex Burret

Are all these one & the same plant or different ?

On 20 November 2014 at 13:48, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan <ponsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Grewia oppositifolia Roxb. ex DC (= Grewia emarginata Wight & Arn), from scrub jungle area of Krishnagiri dt Tamilnadu at an altitude of 800m.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Vijayasankar

26 Nov 2014, 10:47:02 am26/11/14
to J.M. Garg, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, efloraofindia
Ironically, G. oppositifolia is having 'alternate' leaves!

Btw, is it G. optiva?

Regards

Vijayasankar
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
University of Mississippi

Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

27 Nov 2014, 1:43:19 am27/11/14
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Grewia optiva is not reported in any of the regional floras.

J.M. Garg

5 Dec 2014, 12:49:56 am5/12/14
to efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Vijayasankar Raman

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

Are all these one & the same plant or different ? - from me

Ironically, G. oppositifolia is having 'alternate' leaves! Btw, is it G. optiva?
Regards
Vijayasankar

Grewia optiva is not reported in any of the regional floras.- from Santhan ji.

grewia emarginata - Copy.JPG
grewia emarginata3 - Copy.JPG

J.M. Garg

5 Dec 2014, 2:17:02 am5/12/14
to efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Vijayasankar Raman
Thanks, Vijay ji.

5 Dec 2014, 10:54:02 pm5/12/14
to efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Vijayasankar Raman, vijay paithane, Devendra Bhardwaj

6 Dec 2014, 1:58:01 am6/12/14
to efloraofindia, Devendra Bhardwaj, vijay paithane
11 Dec 2014, 6:21:53 am11/12/14
to efloraofindia
May I request for somebody to pl. clarify my doubts as below.

Mayur Nandikar

19 Jan 2015, 7:38:02 am19/1/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Need some more time Garg ji, many things are there to highlight!!!
For time being I can say this is Grewia species.
Mayur D. Nandikar,
Department of Botany,
Goa University,
Taleigao Plateau,
Goa 403 206

J.M. Garg

20 Jan 2015, 4:38:35 am20/1/15
to Mayur Nandikar, efloraofindia
Thanks, Mayur ji.
Waiting for your research.

J.M. Garg

mayur nandikar

19 Dec 2017, 12:53:25 am19/12/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Santhan P
It appears to be Grewia orientalis to me!

Mayur D. Nandikar (Ph.D. Botany)
Head Scientist,
Naoroji Godrej Centre for Plant Research (NGCPR)
c/o Lawkim Motors Division
431, Village Shindewadi, Post Shirwal,
Dist: Satara, Maharashtra, India 412 801
Office 02169-244401 (Ext 640)
www.ngcpr.org

Scopus ID 36495332200
ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0001-8626-3669

J.M. Garg

19 Dec 2017, 4:10:32 am19/12/17
to MayurNandikar, efloraofindia, Santhan P
Thanks, Mayur ji.

J.M. Garg

26 Dec 2017, 12:33:42 am26/12/17
to efloraofindia, Santhan P, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Thanks, Lalithamba ji.