Saussurea sp. for ID ABOCT2017/06

Ashwini Bhatia

Oct 9, 2017, 2:11:38 AM10/9/17
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I saw these plants in early September when I went for a day trek to Ilaqa. The flowers were not yet out and I made a mental note to return to them soon. Unfortunately, on my next trek after about 10 days, I could not find the plants. I came home and looked at the time stamp on my earlier photos to determine the rough location. Next time on 1 October, I did find the plants but by then they were well past their prime flowering time. I did manage one bud with extended white stamen like growth still lingering. The leaves are quite clear and so are the buds. Could we hazard a guess?

Saussurea sp.?
Mcleodganj-Triund, Dharamshala, HP
2600m approx.
03 September and 01 October 2017

Thanks.
Ashwini

_MG_8079_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_8085_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_8094_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_8095_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_8101_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_8102_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_2217_01-02Oct2017.jpg
_MG_2223_01-02Oct2017.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 12, 2017, 1:46:24 AM10/12/17
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Thanks, Ashwini ji.
I hope you have already checked comparative images at efi site.

J.M. Garg

Oct 17, 2017, 7:58:46 AM10/17/17
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia

Could not find the match with any species so far in efi at Saussurea
I also expanded my search to its sub family/ tribe at Carduoideae, but could not find any match here also.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

_MG_8079_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_8085_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_8094_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_8095_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_8101_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_8102_03Sep2017.jpg
_MG_2217_01-02Oct2017.jpg
_MG_2223_01-02Oct2017.jpg

Ashutosh Sharma

Oct 17, 2017, 8:32:44 AM10/17/17
to J.M., efloraofindia, Ashwini

Sir Check Tricholepis species.

*** This message has been sent using GiONEE M5_lite ***

J.M. Garg

Oct 17, 2017, 8:39:11 AM10/17/17
to Ashutosh Sharma, efloraofindia, Ashwini
Thanks, Ashutosh ji,
But I did not find these nodding heads in Tricholepis species so far in efi.
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Ashwini Bhatia

Oct 18, 2017, 7:32:38 AM10/18/17
to Ashutosh Sharma, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Ashutosh ji and Mr Garg. I am not at all familiar with this genus but it looks likely that my plant belongs to this. I will do some research and see if I can find the correct species.

Thank you once again.
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Oct 20, 2017, 9:19:41 AM10/20/17
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, D.S Rawat, Ashutosh Sharma
I think Tricholepis furcata as posted by Rawat ji today.
Oct 20, 2017, 9:29:24 AM10/20/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Ashutosh Sharma
Yes agree with the ID by Garg Ji.
DSRawat Pantnagar

Dr D.S. Rawat
Department of Biological Sciences, G.B. Pant University of Agriculture & Technology Pantnagar-263 145 Uttarakhand, INDIA
eflorapantnagar displaying wild flora of Pantnagar

Ashwini Bhatia

Oct 20, 2017, 11:08:19 PM10/20/17
to D.S Rawat, Ashutosh Sharma, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg
Thank you Dr Rawat. This is a genus/species new to me.

Thank you Ashutosh ji and Mr Garg once again.

With best regards,
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Oct 21, 2017, 9:34:35 AM10/21/17
to Vaneet Jishtu, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Yes, Vaneet ji.
Identified as Tricholepis furcata