Antigonon leptopus from Jaipur

Neha Singh

Nov 18, 2011, 1:29:59 PM11/18/11
to efloraofindia

Antigonon leptopus from a private garden @ Jaipur.  Dated- 07.11.11

Common name-Coral Vine  ,Family- Polygonaceae

Regards
Neha S
DSCN3059.JPG
DSCN3064.JPG
DSCN3065.JPG

mani nair

Nov 18, 2011, 1:46:48 PM11/18/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Neha ji, beautiful flowers.
Regards,
Mani Nair

On 11/18/11, Neha Singh <neha.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Antigonon leptopus* from a private garden @ Jaipur. Dated- 07.11.11

Ushadi micromini

Nov 18, 2011, 8:45:35 PM11/18/11
to efloraindia
am so glad to see it thriving...
for some reasons ... the Antigonon leptopus populations in West Bengal
have dwindled , almost not seen any vine that's thriving... a few are
struggling...

haven't seen any that have fruits/seeds on them...

NEHA did you see any seedpods???

thanks
USha di
========

On Nov 18, 11:46 pm, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Neha ji, beautiful flowers.
> Regards,
> Mani Nair

Mahadeswara

Nov 18, 2011, 10:43:13 PM11/18/11
to efloraindia
The climber grows wild in Chennai in pink / white coloured flowers.
One can see this climber, during this season, everywhere.

On Nov 18, 11:29 pm, Neha Singh <neha.vind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Antigonon leptopus* from a private garden @ Jaipur.  Dated- 07.11.11

> Common name-Coral Vine  ,Family- Polygonaceae
>
> Regards
> Neha S
>

>  DSCN3059.JPG
> 372KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN3064.JPG
> 428KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN3065.JPG
> 328KViewDownload

Satish Phadke

Nov 19, 2011, 5:04:34 AM11/19/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Yes Neha ji
The flowers appear very fresh.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Balkar Singh

Nov 19, 2011, 7:06:23 AM11/19/11
to Satish Phadke, Neha Singh, efloraofindia
I have tried this to grow from stem tubers in my college, can anybody
give idea how to propagate this vine
Thanks

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Balkar Singh

Nov 19, 2011, 7:07:12 AM11/19/11
to Satish Phadke, Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Sorry pls read as stem cuttings and tubers

Ushadi micromini

Nov 19, 2011, 1:58:16 PM11/19/11
to efloraindia
Balkar ji... by seeds is the best way..
I had collected seeds from a friends' garden fence in 1993 in central
florida, and let them dry, stored them in red topped sterile test
tubes with airtight stoppers at RT .... and in 1996 or 1997 spring
planted them... in 1998 summer had a thriving flowering vine in my
6-8 gallon soilless potting mix pot in my balcony, over-wintered
inside (it snows where I was) ... after flowering though it died in
the pot, and I wanted to reuse the pot and to my surprise found
tubers... I cut open the tubers to photograph... so cant tell you if
they would grow or not... BUT from what I read... tubers are used
for famine food in its native central and south america and the
tubers sprout to give new vines in case of forest fires... they
survive deep inside the soil when every thing else chars... so may
be they need heated soil, or very alkaline soil (from the ashes of the
vines and other plants) to re-sprout.... or some bacteria or fungi
that overtake the burnt forest soil after the fire may release some
growth factors....

I wonder if anybody has tested soil for such factors after a forest
fire where antigonon grows ??

SEEDS are the best way.... if they are from a thriving vine like this
one that Neha has...

otherwise... semi woody stems and rooting hormone had worked for some
other vines for me... but I have not tried that in India...

Usha di

===========

On Nov 19, 5:07 pm, Balkar Singh <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry pls read as stem cuttings and tubers
>

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Balkar Singh <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have tried this to grow from stem tubers in my college, can anybody
> > give idea how to propagate this vine
> > Thanks
>

> > On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Yes Neha ji
> >> The flowers appear very fresh.

Ushadi micromini

Nov 19, 2011, 2:08:23 PM11/19/11
to efloraindia
Balkar ji... forgot to tell you I had saved one tuber and planted
it...next spring..but did not grow...
my garden club friends had thought that perhaps it was not old / large
enough...with only one growing season, that too growing in balcony in
a pot may not have stored enough energy to re-sprout...

Usha di

=========

On Nov 19, 11:58 pm, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

Balkar Singh

Nov 19, 2011, 9:34:45 PM11/19/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraindia
Thanks Ushadi ji I will collect seeds of this vine from a friends home