A tree from Buxa Tiger Reserve

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Aug 28, 2010, 3:41:36 PM8/28/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
during my viisit to the Buxa Tiger Reserve in north Bengal (Jalpiaguri dist) in June 2010, i found that different birds were attracted towards a fruiting tree. It was a large tree with small violt berry-like fruits.
I found many species like Spot-winged starlings, Chloropsis, Black-crested bulbuls, Green pigeons and even insectivorous Lesser Yellownape woodpeckers relishing the juicy berries of this tree.
I spent a lot of time under that tree to watch and photograph the birds.
Can some give the ID of this tree from the images given below?
(Buxa Tiger Reserve is a moist deciduous forest in the foothills of the Himalayas covering a large area, and is thought to be the extension of Manas Reserve of Assam).

regards
Shantanu : )

bulbul45.JPG
woodpeceeker.JPG
spotwinged2.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 28, 2010, 3:47:15 PM8/28/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Hey, nice pics.....TFS!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

nabha meghani

Aug 28, 2010, 5:04:50 PM8/28/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hallo,

i read a couple of times about Tree Appreciation Walks in Mumbai. Do such walks take place in Pune too?

I am planning to visit Pune for 4 to 5 weeks sometime between Mid Nov. 10 and End Jan 11. I read mails from experts in Pune, so I wonder, if there could be some opportunities of visiting some Trees and other plants in Pune, perhaps also some nearby places.
My plans are not fixed yet, but I have started thinking about what to do , when in Pune.
It would be nice to meet and get to know People of this group whether from Pune, Mumbai or from other places.
Regards
Nalini

tanay bose

Aug 28, 2010, 8:02:15 PM8/28/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
ZThe pictures and brids looks lovely but can't guess the name of the plant without close shots
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Shantanu

Aug 29, 2010, 4:01:26 AM8/29/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Tanay....for praising the bird pics.
Well...i have not taken shots of the tree, its leaves and fruits.
I am visiting Buxa Tiger Reserve again in October.
I will definitely take some close shots of the leaves, fruits and
branches of that tree for identification.

regards,
Shantanu : )

On Aug 29, 5:02 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ZThe pictures and brids looks lovely but can't guess the name of the plant
> without close shots
> Tanay
>
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hey, nice pics.....TFS!!
> > Pankaj
>
> Phone: 778-323-4036- Hide quoted text -

tanay bose

Aug 29, 2010, 2:43:56 PM8/29/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
Thanks shantanu Da for showing the enthusiasm to retake the photos
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 27, 2010, 12:31:25 PM9/27/10
to efloraofindia, Shantanu Bhattacharya, TANAY BOSE, Muthu Karthick
Resurfacing again for ID

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

bulbul45.JPG
woodpeceeker.JPG
spotwinged2.jpg

Satish Phadke

Sep 28, 2010, 10:28:00 AM9/28/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
I think the inflorescence matches with my pictures from Amboli.
The ID is yet to be resolved. It was suggested to be a climber on the tree................... attaching them again.
IMG_9458s.jpg
IMG_9451s.jpg
IMG_9453s.jpg
IMG_9454s.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 10, 2010, 2:15:26 AM10/10/10
to efloraofindia, nabha meghani

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter pl.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

J.M. Garg

Oct 11, 2010, 7:52:04 AM10/11/10
to efloraofindia, nabha meghani, ushaprabha page
A reply:
"Do come. u r most welcome.
We will certainly go for tree walks in and around Pune.
Pl lets know ur dates. i will try to adjust with ur dates as far as possible.
with best wishes,
Ushaprabha Page."

rajdeo singh

Oct 13, 2010, 5:46:34 AM10/13/10
to Satish Phadke, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia

Hi,
It is Premna coriacea, from family Verbenaceae.
An extensive climber. found in western ghats.

Regards,
Rajdeo Singh
Project fellow
St. Xavier's College,
Mumbai

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 29, 2010, 11:00:41 AM10/29/10
to efloraofindia, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, TANAY BOSE, rajdeo singh
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

Earlier feedback

Rajdeo ji...........................................It is Premna coriacea, from family Verbenaceae.
An extensive climber. found in western ghats.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Oct 29, 2010, 11:39:32 AM10/29/10
to efloraofindia, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, TANAY BOSE, rajdeo singh, Gurcharan Singh
Mr. Bhattacharya  has mentioned that this is a tree.

Rashida Atthar

Oct 30, 2010, 2:20:48 AM10/30/10
to Mahadeswara Swamy, efloraofindia, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, TANAY BOSE, rajdeo singh, Gurcharan Singh
Wonderful pictures Shantanu ji. Have seen one climbing Premna species at Amboli, Mah. last Sep. '10. I think Satish ji 's species is the same as what we had seen. It should be Premna coriacea Clarke as Rajdeo ji as mentioned. This species generally climbs on to huge trees and therefore can be mistaken as a tree!

As per description in Dr. Almeida's flora, Vol IV-  Premna coriacea Clarke is an extensive climber; bark smooth, thin, covered with round scattered, corky lenticels; stems and branches glabrous or nearly so. Leaves are coriaceous,10-20 by 8-11 cm, ovate or elliptic, shortly  acuminate, entire, glabrous, cordate or rounded at the base; main nerves 4-5  pairs with reticulate venation between them;petioles 2.5 -4 cm long. Flowers numerous, in large finely pubescent terminal paniculate corymbose cymes; pedicels very short;  -----Drupe 4mm long, narrowly obovoid, 1 seeded, smooth black when ripe. Posting my pics of what I believe to be of the same species separately.

regards,
Rashida.

JM Garg

Sep 24, 2017, 7:28:33 AM9/24/17
to shn...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, bima...@gmail.com
It may be Premna jalpaiguriana T.K.Paul as per images herein.
May I request Bimal ji to pl. confirm.
bulbul45.JPG
woodpeceeker.JPG
spotwinged2.jpg