Hooghly Today : Stellaria media (L.) Vill.? or Stellaria media var. media ?

surajit koley

Jan 2, 2013, 10:25:40 AM1/2/13
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Both GRIN and The Plant List list Stellaria media (L.) Vill.
The Plant List also lists Stellaria media var. media, one of its synonym is Stellaria monogyna D. Don.
But, neither GRIN nor The Plant List describes a plant (do they?).

FoC has two varieties of Stellaria media (L.) Vill.
In addition to above FoC also describes Stellaria neglecta Weihe.

This species, a wild small decumbent herb, more or less a ft high differs in all of the above either in 1) flowering season, 2) number of styles, 3) number of stamens or in more than single feature.

But, this species conforms to Stellaria media L. of "Bengal Plants", along with Stellaria media L. = Stellaria monogyna D. DonAlsinella wallichiana Benth. of F. B. I. i. 230.

What will be its current accepted name?

(i missed the Caryophyllaceae Week because of the flowering season of this plant)

Regards,

surajit
02jan13_DSCN0292.jpg
02jan13_DSCN0293.jpg
02jan13_DSCN0294.jpg
02jan13_DSCN0296.jpg
02jan13_DSCN0301.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 2, 2013, 11:37:50 AM1/2/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Surajit ji
Stellaria media (L.) Vill. is based on Alsine media L., and S. monogyna is a synonym of of it
It would be sufficient to list it as such unless we are also listing a variant also say for Stellaria media  var. micrantha (Hayata) T. S. Liu & S. S. Yingvar. Now we would have two taxa , one the original typical plant which would get automatically named as Stellaria media (L.) Vill. var media (an autonym, as it is automatically created so no author name).

In a way when we are listing simply Stellaria media, it means we are referring  Stellaria media var. media.

Now one of the blunders of The Plant List. It lists Stellaria media subsp. cupaniana (Jord. & Fourr.) Nyman; logically whenever such a subspecies name is created the original type should become Stellaria media subsp. media, and if the two varieties are to be retained they would have names as Stellaria media (L.) Vill. subsp. media var. media and Stellaria media (L.) Vill. subsp. media var.  micrantha (Hayata) T. S. Liu & S. S. Yingvar.
But then perhaps no one associated with The Plant List knows these basics of Botanical nomenclature.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

surajit koley

Jan 2, 2013, 12:33:28 PM1/2/13
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir,

Now, i think i can understand a bit how naming convention goes into plant taxonomy. I had no clear idea earlier.

Thank you very very much for explaining.

Regards,

surajit

J.M. Garg

Apr 17, 2017, 1:49:31 AM4/17/17
to efloraofindia
As styles appear to be five, it may be Stellaria aquatica as per keys & images herein.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

02jan13_DSCN0292.jpg
02jan13_DSCN0293.jpg