Wild Ladies' Fingers, Abelmoschus manihot spp. tetraphyllus

Neil Soares

Oct 15, 2010, 3:13:45 PM10/15/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Photographed at my farm at Shahapur.
                    With regards,
                      Neil Soares.

Wild Ladies' Fingers,Abelmoschus sp.,Jungli Bhendi 1.jpg
Wild Ladies' Fingers,Abelmoschus sp.,Jungli Bhendi 2.jpg
Wild Ladies' Fingers,Abelmoschus sp.,Jungli Bhendi 3.jpg
Wild Ladies' Fingers,Abelmoschus sp.,Jungli Bhendi 4.jpg
Blyth's Reed Warbler.jpg

tanay bose

Oct 15, 2010, 3:24:08 PM10/15/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have never seen this variety before
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 16, 2010, 3:50:51 AM10/16/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Neil ji, does the leaf shape distinguish this subsp. (from Abelmoschus manihot) ?
Regards.

promila chaturvedi

Oct 16, 2010, 6:00:26 AM10/16/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have seen the last picture before-Blyth's Reed Wabbler.
Promila

Neil Soares

Oct 16, 2010, 9:06:02 AM10/16/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dinesh,
  Good question !

In the classification of Abelmoschus in his 'Flora of Maharashtra' Vol 1, Dr.Almeida also lists the following :

- A.manihot
- A.manihot ssp. tetraphylla
- A manihot ssp. tetraphylla var. pungens
- A manihot ssp.tetraphylla var.megaspermus

 Will take some time for me to figure this out. Meanwhile if someone else is willing to take the call ......
                    Regards,
                      Neil.

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 16, 2010, 10:27:05 AM10/16/10
to Neil Soares, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
I dont have this part of Flora of Maharastra so just asking out of curiosity, are these taxa named by Dr. Almeida himself?
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 16, 2010, 10:37:51 AM10/16/10
to Neil Soares, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh ji
Here are few

A. manihot subsp manihot                                             A. manihot ssp. tetraphylla
Plants glabrous,                                                            Plants hispid, slightly prickly
Petiole 12-15  cm long                                                   Petiole about 6-8 cm long
Leaf lobes linear-oblong, coarsely toothed or lobulate       Lobes lanceolate, crenate-toothed
Flowers about 12 cm across                                          Flowers about 6 cm across

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Oct 16, 2010, 10:51:31 AM10/16/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Gurcharan ji for providing the differences ... now will look out for these, the next meeting this plant(s).
Going through them makes me feel that most of the instances, must have overlooked the differences and generalized it to just A. manihot.

Regards.