Jacaranda mimosifolia :: Hooghly, West Bengal

surajit koley

Feb 3, 2012, 11:33:04 AM2/3/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

In March-2010 & April-2009 I took photographs of the flowers of this beautiful tree. This is a roadside tree, very uncommon in our locality. Today, I shot the tree again, this time it is yet to bloom.

Species - Jacaranda mimosifolia

Date/Time- 03/02/2012, 11.00 A.M. (flowers in March-April)
Location- Chanditala (Hooghly District), West Bengal
Habitat- roadside plantation
Plant Habit- Tree
Height- 50 ft. approx.
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Pinnately compound
Inflorescence Type/ Size- loose pyramidal panicles
Flowers Colour- violet-blue
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- oblong, ovate or broad dehiscent capsule
Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- It is a native of North-west Argentina. Jacaranda is a Brazilian vernacular name.

ID & Info help :
Book - Some Beautiful Indian Trees, by Ethelbert Blatter & Walter Samuel Millard, BNHS, Oxford Unversity Press (1977)

Regards,

Surajit Koley
Jacaranda mimosifolia 01.jpg
Jacaranda mimosifolia 02.jpg
Jacaranda mimosifolia 03.jpg
Jacaranda mimosifolia 04.jpg
Jacaranda mimosifolia 05.jpg

Balkar Singh

Feb 3, 2012, 11:39:36 AM2/3/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice Shots Dear Surajit
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

surajit koley

Feb 3, 2012, 11:44:29 AM2/3/12
to Balkar Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sir.

I travel 25 km. daily to reach my school and all along the road I have seen only one Jacaranda tree so far.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

Mahadeswara

Feb 4, 2012, 6:59:35 AM2/4/12
to efloraofindia
Nice reporting Surjit ji.
Very common avenue tree in Mysore city. This is the flowering
season. The trees are in full bloom here, as well.

On Feb 3, 9:33 pm, surajit koley <surajitnotavaila...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  Jacaranda mimosifolia 01.jpg
> 266KViewDownload
>
>  Jacaranda mimosifolia 02.jpg
> 237KViewDownload
>
>  Jacaranda mimosifolia 03.jpg
> 264KViewDownload
>
>  Jacaranda mimosifolia 04.jpg
> 172KViewDownload
>
>  Jacaranda mimosifolia 05.jpg
> 165KViewDownload

surajit koley

Feb 4, 2012, 11:59:00 AM2/4/12
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Thank you Swamy-ji. My colleagues who also travel more than 10km. from different places also confirmed that they never saw this tree here. I am happy to learn that this is common in Mysore.

Regards,

Surajit Koley