Another Urticaceae ABAUG2016/50

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 19, 2016, 1:14:43 PM8/19/16
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This large-leaved (many leaves were more than a foot long) plant very likely belongs to Urticaceae. The leaves were shiny, each long-stalked pair perpendicular to the next one on the stem and had no stinging hairs. Stipules were prominent with new flowers beginning to come out from the leaf axils. Please help with the ID.

Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1750m
18 August 2016.

Thanks.
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Aug 19, 2016, 11:48:28 PM8/19/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Very nice images, Ashwini ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 20, 2016, 9:17:04 AM8/20/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Mr Garg.

On 20 Aug 2016, at 09:18, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Very nice images, Ashwini ji.
On 19 August 2016 at 22:44, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
This large-leaved (many leaves were more than a foot long) plant very likely belongs to Urticaceae. The leaves were shiny, each long-stalked pair perpendicular to the next one on the stem and had no stinging hairs. Stipules were prominent with new flowers beginning to come out from the leaf axils. Please help with the ID.

Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1750m
18 August 2016.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_6420_18Aug2016.jpg><_MG_6425_18Aug2016.jpg><_MG_6432_18Aug2016.jpg><_MG_6442_18Aug2016.jpg><_MG_6446_18Aug2016.jpg>

J.M. Garg

Aug 24, 2016, 6:04:21 AM8/24/16
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia

ash...@ashwinibhatia.com

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 25, 2016, 11:25:35 PM8/25/16
to efloraofindia
Some more images from yesterday of the inflorescence to help with the ID.

Thanks.
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Aug 26, 2016, 1:03:48 AM8/26/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Wonderful display.

J.M. Garg

Aug 29, 2016, 8:42:41 AM8/29/16
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Could this be Maoutia puya? Please advise.
Thanks.
Ashwini

Aug 29, 2016, 9:10:14 AM8/29/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
Dears,

Kindly check for Boehmeria platyphylla.

Regards,
Dr. G S Goraya

Sent from my iPhone

On 29-Aug-2016, at 6:16 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Could this be Maoutia puya? Please advise.
Thanks.
Ashwini

Ashwini Bhatia

Aug 29, 2016, 9:25:39 AM8/29/16
to gurinder goraya, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Dr Goraya. I am confused between B. platyphylla and Maoutia puya. I am not sure of the difference.

Flora of Pakistan differs with FOI site in treating B. platyphylla as a different species and not as synonym of B. macrophylla. I am not sure which route to follow.

Regards,
Ashwini

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2016, 11:58:28 AM9/3/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, gurinder goraya, efloraofindia
Thanks, Ashwini ji.
Pl. see Boehmeria for details.
Problem arises as no one (FOC, FOP, FON or Floras of India) wants to state when they have published a particular volume of their flora in their efloras. That's why decision becomes difficult which one to follow. However, FOC appears to be the latest.

Boehmeria platyphylla D.Don (Tropical Africa, Pakistan eastwards to China and Japan) (syn. of Boehmeria macrophylla Hornem. as per The Plant List (published in 2014) & FOC). GRIN (updated in 2004) also supports this.

J.M. Garg

Sep 9, 2016, 1:26:45 AM9/9/16
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, gurinder
Further FOC say that Maoutia puya is found in Bhutan, China, NE India, Nepal, Sikkim, Vietnam & we do not have it in efi so far.
However, IBIS Flora states it to be found in HP.

To me images appears quite close to images at Boehmeria macrophylla

Thank you Mr Garg. Looking now at the inflorescence, I too think this is B. platyphylla (or B. macrophylla).

Harder Singh and M. Sharma also note the presence of Maoutia puya in Chambs district.

A couple of new photos from the day before when I visited to check on the developing flowers are attached here for reference.

Thanks.
Ashwini

On 9 Sep 2016, at 10:56, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Further FOC say that Maoutia puya is found in Bhutan, China, NE India, Nepal, Sikkim, Vietnam & we do not have it in efi so far.
However, IBIS Flora states it to be found in HP.

To me images appears quite close to images at Boehmeria macrophylla

Some more images from yesterday of the inflorescence to help with the ID.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_2376_25Aug2016.jpg><_MG_2383_25Aug2016.jpg><_MG_2391_25Aug2016.jpg><_MG_2392_25Aug2016.jpg><_MG_2396_25Aug2016.jpg>

Ashwini Bhatia

Sep 9, 2016, 4:21:07 AM9/9/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, gurinder
I am sorry about the typos (again inserted by my computer). It’s Harinder Singh in Chamba in Flora of Chamba District.

On 9 Sep 2016, at 13:48, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:

Thank you Mr Garg. Looking now at the inflorescence, I too think this is B. platyphylla (or B. macrophylla).

Harder Singh and M. Sharma also note the presence of Maoutia puya in Chambs district.

A couple of new photos from the day before when I visited to check on the developing flowers are attached here for reference.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_3680_06Sep2016.jpg><_MG_3685_06Sep2016.jpg><_MG_3699_06Sep2016.jpg><_MG_3710_06Sep2016.jpg>

J.M. Garg

Sep 9, 2016, 4:29:27 AM9/9/16
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia, gurinder
Now it is confirmed.

Ashwini Bhatia

Sep 9, 2016, 4:42:57 AM9/9/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, gurinder
And this should then be B. macrophylla var. rotundifolia. Please advise.

On 9 Sep 2016, at 13:59, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Now it is confirmed.

On 9 September 2016 at 13:48, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
Thank you Mr Garg. Looking now at the inflorescence, I too think this is B. platyphylla (or B. macrophylla).

Harder Singh and M. Sharma also note the presence of Maoutia puya in Chambs district.

A couple of new photos from the day before when I visited to check on the developing flowers are attached here for reference.

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_3680_06Sep2016.jpg><_MG_3685_06Sep2016.jpg><_MG_3699_06Sep2016.jpg><_MG_3710_06Sep2016.jpg>

J.M. Garg

Aug 31, 2019, 5:47:15 AM8/31/19
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
On further checking in Flora of Bhutan & Nepal checklist, I think these last three images should be of Boehmeria ternifolia as per high resolution specimens at

Now it is confirmed.

[...]

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 1,70,000 images are directly displayed).

J.M. Garg

Sep 25, 2023, 8:22:29 AM9/25/23
to efloraofindia
Taking it as Boehmeria virgata var. macrostachya (Wight) Friis & Wilmot-Dear as per discussions at Dinesh ji' s Flickr images of Boehmeria macrophylla ¿ var. scabrella ?

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg