ornamental1 Hooghly 20-01-13 sk1

surajit koley

Jan 20, 2013, 12:41:59 PM1/20/13
to efloraofindia
Sir,

This looks like the one in FoI.

Species : UNKNOWN
H & H : ornamental in 200 sq. ft. garden, nurtured by local youth of a rural club
Date : 20-01-13
Place : Bandipur (Hooghly)

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

orn1_20jan13_DSCN1224.jpg
orn1_20jan13_DSCN1225.jpg
orn1_20jan13_DSCN1226.jpg
orn1_20jan13_DSCN1227.jpg
orn1_20jan13_DSCN1228.jpg
orn1_20jan13_DSCN1229.jpg
orn1_20jan13_DSCN1230.jpg

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jan 20, 2013, 8:12:53 PM1/20/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Salvia splendens Sellow ex Roem. & Schult. (Lamiaceae)

Regards,
Ritesh.

surajit koley

Jan 20, 2013, 8:47:38 PM1/20/13
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Ritesh Ji
Thank you very much for the full ID.

Regards,
surajit

Satish Phadke

Jan 21, 2013, 9:58:00 AM1/21/13
to surajit koley, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, indian...@googlegroups.com
When I saw your post I started thinking about it Obviously as Scarlet sage.
Two species are called as that.
Then I searched
Salvia splendens vs. salvia coccinea in Google.
Following link describes the difference:
http://www.homeandgardenideas.com/gardening/herbs/care/how-grow-scarlet-sage
The leaf shape
Lance like in S. splendens
Triangular in S. coccinea
The above pictures go in favour of S.coccinea.
Will wait for others to comment
Dr Satish Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 21, 2013, 11:13:24 AM1/21/13
to Satish Phadke, surajit koley, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think it is S. splendens, the flowers are smaller in S. cocinea

S. splendens: leaves 5-9 cm long, triangular-ovate, acuminate, flowers 4-5 cm long
S. coccinea: leaves 2.5-5 cm long; acute, ovate, flowers 2-2.5 cm long.

Here is my upload from Delhi of S. coccinea

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 21, 2013, 11:17:48 AM1/21/13
Sorry I wrote leaf shape reversed. Here is correct one:

I think it is S. splendens, the flowers are smaller in S. cocinea

S. splendens: leaves 5-9 cm long, ovate, acuminate, flowers 4-5 cm long
S. coccinea: leaves 2.5-5 cm long; acute, trianglar-ovate, flowers 2-2.5 cm long.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

surajit koley

Jan 21, 2013, 12:21:09 PM1/21/13
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, indian...@googlegroups.com
Gurcharan Sir, Satish Sir, Ritesh Ji,

Thank you all for this discussion, now i come to know that there are two similar looking plants from the same genus.

The height of this plant is about 3 ft, like that of S. coccinea as per Satish Sir's link - http://www.homeandgardenideas.com/gardening/herbs/care/how-grow-scarlet-sage.

But, i think, the leaf size, apex and flower size conform to keys provided by Gurcharan Sir.

Regards,

surajit

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jan 21, 2013, 7:32:34 PM1/21/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Gurucharan sir for providing a nice key. Thanks Satish sir and Surajit ji for digging details of the plant.

Best regards,
Ritesh.

surajit koley

Jan 21, 2013, 9:20:08 PM1/21/13
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Ritesh Ji

Digging into Salvia gives more confusing data -
I think this plant is Salvia splendens Ker Gawler of FoC, well, after this elaborate discussion of-course!

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jan 21, 2013, 9:38:57 PM1/21/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This is surely Salvia splendens.
coccinea is very different.
One may not even be able to differentiate because hybrids of splendens are also available.
Pankaj

surajit koley

Jan 21, 2013, 9:44:31 PM1/21/13
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Pankaj Ji

Thank you very much, i noted the "identification credit" in FoI.

Regards,

surajit

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jan 21, 2013, 9:45:16 PM1/21/13
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for digging more dear Surajit ji,

But Salvia splendens Ker Gawler is a superfluous/illegitimate name. Please check for the following link from Tropicos

The accepted name for your plant should be Salvia splendens Sellow ex Roem. & Schult as maintained by GRIN/The Plant List/Catalogue of Life.

Best regards,
Ritesh.

surajit koley

Jan 21, 2013, 9:52:21 PM1/21/13
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you once again Ritesh Ji, it is Salvia splendens Sellow ex Roem. & Schult., and GRIN also referred to FoC.

Regards,

surajit

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jan 21, 2013, 9:54:52 PM1/21/13
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
That's funny! :-)

Regards,
Ritesh.

surajit koley

Jan 21, 2013, 9:56:19 PM1/21/13
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, indian...@googlegroups.com
In a hurry for my school.... have a very nice day.... :)

Regards,

surajit

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jan 21, 2013, 9:57:19 PM1/21/13
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
Have a wonderful day to u too Surajit ji.

Regards,
Ritesh.

surajit koley

Jan 19, 2015, 12:31:37 PM1/19/15
to efloraofindia
A new set recorded today.
Thank you
Regards

DSCN9394.jpg
DSCN9396.jpg
DSCN9402.jpg
DSCN9403.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Jan 20, 2015, 12:14:51 AM1/20/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Yes Gurucharanji had diagnosed it as Salvia splendens then

usha di

differential diagnosis was interesting:

your case your case 2013
Gurcharaji's S. cocciniea

Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Jan 20, 2015, 11:16:00 AM1/20/15
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you Didi, again.
Regards
surajit

surajit koley

Jan 24, 2015, 11:28:51 AM1/24/15
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
I think I ma the first in the group to show this.
Thank you
Regards

P1130857.jpg
P1130857b.jpg