Lauraceae tree for ID :: Nilgiris :: MK004 NOV2016

Muthu Karthick

Nov 22, 2016, 7:02:33 AM11/22/16
to efloraofindia
Dear all,

Please help me in identifying this tree species found in an evergreen forests of Nilgiris.

Date: 25 April 2016
Place: Pykara, Nilgiris, TN
Alt.: 2140 m asl

--
Muthu Karthick N | Project Associate
Litsea (1).JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 22, 2016, 7:39:45 AM11/22/16
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick

Thanks, Muthu ji

Litsea (1).JPG
Litsea (2).JPG
Litsea (3).JPG
Litsea (4).JPG

J.M. Garg

Dec 5, 2016, 6:11:56 AM12/5/16
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick

Dec 6, 2016, 8:01:51 AM12/6/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick
Could be Litsea wightiana- more brown hairs and veins are bold, leaves are darker green, edges are curved.
--
Rengaian Ganesan, Ph.D.,
Fellow, Suri Sehgal Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation

91-80-23635555 ext.: 208

J.M. Garg

Dec 6, 2016, 8:08:06 AM12/6/16
to ATREE Ganesan, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick

Thanks, Ganesan ji

Robi Jose

Dec 7, 2016, 1:58:12 AM12/7/16
to J.M. Garg, ATREE Ganesan, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick
This could be Litsea wightiana

Robi
Dr. Robi A.J., M.Sc, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany,
Bishop Abraham Memorial College,
Thuruthicad P.O., Mallappally
Pathanamthitta, Kerala 689 597

J.M. Garg

Dec 7, 2016, 3:30:55 AM12/7/16
to Robi Jose, ATREE Ganesan, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick
Thanks a lot, Robi ji.

J.M. Garg

Oct 10, 2017, 8:36:59 AM10/10/17
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick
If we go by leaf veins, it looks closer to L. floribunda as per http://www.biotik.org/india/species/l/litsflor/litsflor_en.html rather than L. wightiana as per http://www.biotik.org/india/species/l/litswigh/litswigh_en.html

Also similar posts are identified as Litsea floribunda (Bl.) Gamble in efloraofindia as per images herein.

Pl. confirm or otherwise.