Alstonia scholaris (family : Apocynaceae) Hooghly, WB

surajit koley

Feb 21, 2012, 12:13:23 PM2/21/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Attaching images of CHATIM GACH (GACH = tree) that i recorded in 2009. I don't know why it has been given an English name like the 'Indian Devil Tree'.
This tree has a connection with the Great Tagore family. Maharshi Debendranath Tagore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debendranath_Tagore) set up an ASHRAM under one of this tree and the place later became the world famous Visva-Bharati University (for more please see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visva-Bharati_University).

Species : Alstonia scholaris (family : Apocynaceae
Type : plantation
Date : flowering tree: 05-Oct-2009, leaves & fruits : 26-Feb-2009, 08-Feb-2012
Place : Kamarkundu Railway Station (Hooghly District), West Bengal

Regards,

Surajit Koley
Alstonia_scholaris_01.jpg
Alstonia_scholaris_02.jpg
Alstonia_scholaris_03.jpg
Alstonia_scholaris_04.jpg

Balkar Singh

Feb 21, 2012, 7:42:24 PM2/21/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Nice Catch Surajit Ji. This tree is in Danger in our area due to attack of some kind of Nematodes almost everywhere...
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

surajit koley

Feb 21, 2012, 8:25:18 PM2/21/12
to Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir. I am attaching a photograph of part of its pod. Did those nematodes produce the nodules on its pods?

Regards,

Surajit
Alstonia_scholaris_nodules.jpg

Mahadeswara

Feb 21, 2012, 10:12:32 PM2/21/12
to efloraofindia
The tree has also got the name scholar's tree, as writing boards were
prepared from the wood, earlier.

On Feb 21, 10:13 pm, surajit koley <surajitnotavaila...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Sir,
>
> Attaching images of CHATIM GACH (GACH = tree) that i recorded in 2009. I
> don't know why it has been given an English name like the 'Indian Devil
> Tree'.
> This tree has a connection with the Great Tagore family. Maharshi
> Debendranath Tagore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debendranath_Tagore) set
> up an ASHRAM under one of this tree and the place later became the world
> famous Visva-Bharati University (for more please see -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visva-Bharati_University).
>
> Species : Alstonia scholaris (family : Apocynaceae
> Type : plantation
> Date : flowering tree: 05-Oct-2009, leaves & fruits : 26-Feb-2009,
> 08-Feb-2012
> Place : Kamarkundu Railway Station (Hooghly District), West Bengal
> ID help :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstonia_scholaris
>
> Regards,
>
> Surajit Koley
>
>  Alstonia_scholaris_01.jpg
> 282KViewDownload
>
>  Alstonia_scholaris_02.jpg
> 174KViewDownload
>
>  Alstonia_scholaris_03.jpg
> 320KViewDownload
>
>  Alstonia_scholaris_04.jpg
> 71KViewDownload

surajit koley

Feb 22, 2012, 2:20:37 PM2/22/12
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Thank you Mahadeswara ji. I didn't know this name and it is also very apt for the Visva-Bharati story.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

Satish Chile

Feb 23, 2012, 1:42:15 AM2/23/12
to surajit koley, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
When it blooms emits sweetest smell in the surroundings.
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

surajit koley

Feb 23, 2012, 11:20:31 AM2/23/12
to Satish Chile, efloraofindia, Mahadeswara
Sir,

I never noticed it before. This year i will remain alert during October that i think is its flowering time.

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

Pankaj Oudhia

Feb 23, 2012, 11:30:17 AM2/23/12
to efloraofindia
Alstonia pollen are allergic to many. (see attached clipping)

In Traditional Healing many formulations including Pueraria based Formulations are used to manage Alstonia allergy.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia
viewer.png

surajit koley

Feb 23, 2012, 12:16:28 PM2/23/12
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir for the alert. Maybe that's why they named it the devil tree.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

Satish Chile

Feb 24, 2012, 2:10:07 AM2/24/12
to surajit koley, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Sir Surjit ji it flowers in Oct. During Sharad Purnima.

Sid

Feb 24, 2012, 4:20:05 AM2/24/12
to Satish Chile, surajit koley, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I guess the name ghost tree is due to myths that ghosts reside in this tree. There was discussion about this earlier in our group with really gruesome stories.

http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/a378c6006921b257/f67b52a0123f30c8?lnk=gst&q=yakshi#f67b52a0123f30c8

Sid.

surajit koley

Feb 24, 2012, 12:11:09 PM2/24/12
to Satish Chile, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir. I will keep a watch during that time and would try to get closer pictures of the flowers.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Feb 24, 2012, 2:24:50 PM2/24/12
to Sid, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir for the link. And quite interesting reading it is.

Regards,

Surajit Koley