unid plant - 2010_06_Tadgaum_SSN

shubhada nikharge

Jul 1, 2010, 12:01:47 PM7/1/10
to indian tree pix

Request id of this plant

I saw this plant in the last week of June 2010 in Tadgaum, Gujrat

Habitat-  Urban

Plant Habit- It was a scandent shrub.

Height - 15 ft.

The plant had latex.
i have attached the pics of leaves, bark, twigs, flowers and fruits.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

unid twig 2010_06_Tadgaum_e.jpg
unid bark 2010_06_Tadgaum_e.jpg
unid dry pods 2010_06_Tadgaum_e.jpg
unid leaves 2010_06_Tadgaum_e.jpg
unid raw pod 2010_06_Tadgaum_e.jpg
unid flower 2010_06_Tadgaum_3 e.jpg
unid flower 2010_06_Tadgaum_1 e.jpg
unid flower 2010_06_Tadgaum_2 e.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 1, 2010, 12:28:54 PM7/1/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Dear Shubhada Ji,
I have seen this flowers many years back but don't remember the name exactly , I hope this is
Cryptostegia grandiflora, commonly known as Rubber Vine, is a woody-perennial vine that is native to south-west Madagascar. It is also a significant weed in northern Australia, sometimes regarded in fact, as the worst weed in all of Australia. It has also been introduced to most other tropical and subtropical regions by man, because of its attractive flowers and the fact that its latex contains commercial quality rubber (hence the name). It is now naturalised in the Caribbean, East Africa, Mauritius, India, Southeast Asia, Latin America, the southern United States, Fiji and New Caledonia.

Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Neil Soares

Jul 1, 2010, 12:59:38 PM7/1/10
to indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Hi Shubhada,
   Nice photographs of Cryptostegia grandiflora.
                          Regards,
                            Neil.

Usha Desai

Jul 1, 2010, 9:11:22 PM7/1/10
to Neil Soares, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge

Cryptostegia grandiflora,from what I have seen is creamish rose...see the flower in Isaac's and Inglehalikar's books.This flower is very different colour.
gr8 pictures.Usha

Neil Soares

Jul 1, 2010, 11:30:03 PM7/1/10
to Usha Desai, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Hi Dr.Usha,
  Agreed, but would presume colour variations of flowers is acceptable. Sending you my photographs. They were taken at Bhigwan.
                    Regards,
                     Neil.

--- On Fri, 7/2/10, Usha Desai <ushan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cryptostegia grandiflora 1.jpg
Cryptostegia grandiflora 2.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 10, 2010, 12:48:24 AM7/10/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tanay bose, Neil Soares, shubhada nikharge, Usha Desai, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, satish pardeshi, Rashida Atthar
Agree.

Pankaj N. Joshi, Ph.D
Jr. Scientist
Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology (GUIDE)
Post Box # 83, Opp. Changleshwar Temple,
Mundra Road, Bhuj- Kachchh
Gujarat: 370 001 (India)
Phone: +91 2832 235025, 329408; Fax: 235027
Cell: +91 94269 49523
Optional E-mail: pranav...@rediffmail.com

Jul 10, 2010, 8:44:51 AM7/10/10
to Joshi Pankaj, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tanay bose, Neil Soares, shubhada nikharge, Usha Desai, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, satish pardeshi, Rashida Atthar
Affirmative from my side too...
Dr Phadke

J.M. Garg

Jul 11, 2010, 6:59:15 AM7/11/10
to efloraofindia, tanay bose, Neil Soares, shubhada nikharge, Usha Desai, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, satish pardeshi, Rashida Atthar
A reply:
"Dear all it is
Cryptostegia grandiflora
Kunhikannan"

JM Garg

Feb 7, 2016, 12:26:36 AM2/7/16
to efloraofindia, shubhada nikharge, Neil Soares, Usha Desai, Satish Phadke, C KUNHIKANNAN, Joshi Pankaj
I think it should be Cryptostegia madagascariensis as per differences given in Factsheet as below:

Rubber vine (Cryptostegia grandiflora) is very similar to a closely related species that is known as purple rubber vine (Cryptostegia madagascariensis ). It is also relatively similar to the garden plant known as purple allamanda (Allamanda blanchetii). These species can be distinguished by the following differences:

  • rubber vine (Cryptostegia grandiflora) has oppositely arranged leaves with slightly reddish or purplish-coloured stalks (i.e. petioles) and midribs. Its younger branches and leaves are always hairless (i.e. glabrous), its flowers are usually pale pink in colour with a much deeper coloured throat, and its paired fruit are commonly each more than 10 cm long.

  • purple rubber vine (Cryptostegia madagascariensis ) has oppositely arranged leaves with yellowish-green coloured stalks (i.e. petioles) and midribs. Its younger branches and leaves may sometimes be slightly hairy (i.e. puberulent), its flowers are usually uniformly bright pink or purplish in colour, and its paired fruit are always each less than 10 cm long.
  • purple allamanda (Allamanda blanchetii) has its leaves arranged in whorls of three or more along its stems (i.e. they are verticillate). Its younger stems and leaves are somewhat hairy (i.e. pubescent), its flowers are usually uniformly bright pink or purplish in colour, and its rounded fruit are rarely seen.
unid twig 2010_06_Tadgaum_e.jpg
unid bark 2010_06_Tadgaum_e.jpg
unid dry pods 2010_06_Tadgaum_e.jpg
unid leaves 2010_06_Tadgaum_e.jpg
unid raw pod 2010_06_Tadgaum_e.jpg
unid flower 2010_06_Tadgaum_3 e.jpg
unid flower 2010_06_Tadgaum_1 e.jpg
unid flower 2010_06_Tadgaum_2 e.jpg

J.M. Garg

Feb 7, 2016, 8:04:23 AM2/7/16
to C Kunhikannan, efloraofindia
Thanks, Kunhikannan ji.
But the keys at Factsheet go against Cryptostegia grandiflora

--
Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images).