Need id assistance for JNU Plant 130415SP1-4

Subhasis Panda

Aug 22, 2015, 2:39:12 AM8/22/15
to indiantreepix, J.M. Garg
Dear all
I need id assistance of following images belonging to Ruellia sp? (Acanthaceae)

Date:13/04/15
Locality: JNU New Campus
Corolla: caducous in nature; white

regards
Dr. S. Panda
Darjeeling Govt. College
130415SP1.JPG
130415SP2.JPG
130415SP3.JPG
130415SP4.JPG

Rohit Patel

Aug 27, 2015, 2:40:41 AM8/27/15
to Subhasis Panda, indiantreepix, J.M. Garg
Dipterocanthus sp.

DR. ROHITKUMAR MANGALBHAI PATEL
 SCIENTIST
GUJARAT INSTITUTE OF DESERT ECOLOGY
P.O.# 83, MUNDRA ROAD,
OPP., CHANGLESHWER TEMPLE
BHUJ - KACHCHH - 370001
GUJARAT, INDIA
Mob.No.:- +919724337687

J.M. Garg

Aug 31, 2015, 3:56:14 AM8/31/15
to efloraofindia, Rohit Patel, Subhasis

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Dipterocanthus sp.--

DR. ROHITKUMAR MANGALBHAI PATEL

Ruellia species in eFloraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ Biotik/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available on net)
Now all Indian Dipteracanthus fall under Ruellia only.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

130415SP1.JPG
130415SP2.JPG
130415SP3.JPG
130415SP4.JPG

surajit koley

Aug 31, 2015, 1:50:35 PM8/31/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Rohit Patel, Subhasis
My guess is Ruellia suffruticosa Roxb., but I am not confident, for one more species, R. patula Jacq. needs to be considered. Attached here record by Haines. R. patula unlikely to be found in the region as per FBI and also that FBI thinks R. patula is similar to R. prostrata.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group
Haines.jpg

surajit koley

dr.rakesh Singh

Aug 31, 2015, 10:21:33 PM8/31/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Rohit Patel, Subhasis
I w'd like to see better illuminated photos  photos  of habit and leaves , and comment regarding hairs . As for the color , pure white flowers I have recorded in R. prostrata , but here leaves in the specimen seem different !

J.M. Garg

Sep 2, 2015, 8:47:07 AM9/2/15
to efloraofindia, M Swamy, Subhasis

Sep 6, 2015, 1:49:17 AM9/6/15
to dr.rakesh Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Rohit Patel, Subhasis
Attached here what had been identified, in this group, as Ruellia prostrata Poir. Flower colour usually not white, may turn whitish sometimes. In the 4th pic you see flower and foliaceous bract sizes.

Ruellia suffruticosa Roxb.

Ruellia patula Jacq.

Ruellia pseudopatula Ensermu

white, maybe pale-purple, corolla 50-57 mm long, 25-32 mm diam., narrow part of the tube 18-26 mm

sepals 5-6.5 mm

ref. Haines

pale blue-lilac or pale purple, corolla 25-38 mm long, lower cylindrical portion is shorter than the upper;

style 16-19 mm long

should be equal to next sp.

ref. Ensermu Kelbessass

pure white, corolla 45-60 mm long, lower cylindrical portion of the tube is longer than the enlarged upper portion;

style 35-40 mm

calyx tube 1-1.5mm, lobes 4-5mm

ref. Ensermu Kelbessass

This species in this thread is Ruellia pseudopatula Ensermu

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

P1160624.jpg
P1160625.jpg
P1160627.jpg
P1160628.jpg
P1160632.jpg
P1160634.jpg

surajit koley

Sep 11, 2015, 12:42:42 PM9/11/15
to dr.rakesh Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Rohit Patel, Subhasis
I am expecting some response from Dr. Panda.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

Subhasis Panda

Sep 11, 2015, 1:23:07 PM9/11/15
to surajit koley, dr.rakesh Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Rohit Patel
Surojit ji many many thanks for your id assistance along with detailed key.

S. Panda
darjeeling

surajit koley

Sep 11, 2015, 2:05:08 PM9/11/15
to Subhasis Panda, dr.rakesh Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Rohit Patel
Thank you very much Sir for your kind response. But I expected you or other member(s) would ask/query why your specimen can not be R. suffruticosa Roxb.! More so because petals and sepals are more or less of equal length in both the spp., (R. suffruticosa Roxb. and R. pseudopatula Ensermu); including narrower to inflated part of corolla tube!

I am explaining why I choose one of the above two ids. In suffruticosa, leaves are 2-5 inch (50-127 mm), while in pseudopatula leaves are 15-30 x 10-20 mm. Comparing the flower size with the leaves in the attached photographs of this specimen I think it would go more with R. pseudopatula Ensermu.