Hooghly Today : Colocasia antiquorum Schott. (common wild var.)

surajit koley

Jan 18, 2013, 1:04:37 PM1/18/13
to efloraofindia
Sir,

This is the most common wild variety KOCHU, found everywhere - roadside, waste-places and on the margin of ditches.
(i) Leaf blade adaxially matte...... (water sometimes forming "mercury droplets") ------- C.esculenta (L.) Schott
(ii) Leaf blade adaxially glossy and wettable .....  -------- C. antiquorum Schott

The leaf blade of this plant show those "mercury droplets", yet i title this post as Colocasia antiquorum Schott. (common wild var.)! Because -

(i) Leaves with a bronze margin; spathe dark yellow --------- C. nymphaeifolia Kunth.
(ii) Leaves not bronze-margined; spathe pale yellow --------- C. antiquorum Schott

"Flora Indica" gives more detailed account :-

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

DSCN1094.jpg
DSCN1097.jpg
DSCN1098.jpg
DSCN1101.jpg
DSCN1102.jpg
DSCN1103.jpg

Balkar Singh

Jan 20, 2013, 1:05:47 AM1/20/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Beautiful set of pics Surajit Ji

Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology &
Horticulture Incharge
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

surajit koley

Jan 20, 2013, 10:06:54 AM1/20/13
to Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir, i have its spadix, but fail to remember where i have stored the same in my hard disk.Will upload as soon as i find it.

Regards,

surajit

J.M. Garg

Jan 26, 2013, 2:34:06 AM1/26/13
to efloraofindia, cory...@hotmail.com, manudevk...@gmail.com, jorge....@gmail.com, aro...@numericable.fr, phyma...@gmail.com, surajit koley

Some earlier relevant feedback:

 Thank you Sir, i have its spadix, but fail to remember where i have stored the same in my hard disk.Will upload as soon as i find it.

Regards,
surajit

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2030 members & 1,42,000 messages on 31/12/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).
DSCN1094.jpg
DSCN1097.jpg
DSCN1098.jpg
DSCN1101.jpg
DSCN1102.jpg
DSCN1103.jpg

surajit koley

Jan 26, 2013, 11:43:38 AM1/26/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, cory...@hotmail.com, manudevk...@gmail.com, jorge....@gmail.com, aro...@numericable.fr, phyma...@gmail.com
Garg Sir,

I need some time to search and find the spadix pic, hidden in my hard disk among thousands of images. My records are not arranged systematically.

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Jan 27, 2013, 12:18:21 PM1/27/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, cory...@hotmail.com, manudevk...@gmail.com, jorge....@gmail.com, aro...@numericable.fr, phyma...@gmail.com
Sir,

Attaching the images, recorded on 19/6/12 at the same place and of the same population. I have more, recorded elsewhere, but currently fail to find where i kept those.

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit
DSCN5876.jpg
DSCN5877.jpg
DSCN5879.jpg

Karayil Velayudhan

Mar 6, 2014, 3:54:03 AM3/6/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Sir, The posted pictures are of Colocasia esculenta (L.) Schott var. aquatilis Hassk. Pl. Jav. Rar. 150 (1848) distributed in tropical  Asia  as very common wild plant in moist localities. Characterised by stolons, sterile appendix shorter and inflorescence scented.

surajit koley

Mar 6, 2014, 11:57:35 AM3/6/14
to Karayil Velayudhan, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sir for the correct ID.

Regards,

surajit