Erythrina arborescens (?) fom Uttarakhand_Aug 2015_DSR_22

D.S Rawat

Aug 26, 2015, 3:06:55 AM8/26/15
to efloraofindia

This tall shrub/ small tree was shot near Joshimath (2200m) by Satish Chandra in August 2015.

To me it looks like Erythrina arborescens Roxb.which is known to occur at this elevation in the Himalaya, however, validation is required by experts.

E. arborescens in Kew-

http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K001122657

I have seen this species at few places- Ranikhet, Bhowali, Kali Valley, Ukhimath in Uttarakhand. Often isolated individuals are seen in nature.

If ID is as mentioned here it is another addition to eFI.

DSRawat Pantnagar
Dr D.S.Rawat
Department of Biological Sciences, G.B. Pant University of Agriculture & Technology Pantnagar-263 145 Uttarakhand, INDIA

Erythrina_SCS_1.JPG
Erythrina_SCS_2.JPG

Ushadi Micromini

Aug 26, 2015, 4:43:34 PM8/26/15
to D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
what a beauty

usha di

Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

Aug 31, 2015, 1:51:42 AM8/31/15
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat

Forwarding again for validation please.

This tall shrub/ small tree was shot near Joshimath (2200m) by Satish Chandra in August 2015.

To me it looks like Erythrina arborescens Roxb. which is known to occur at this elevation in the Himalaya, however, validation is required by experts.

E. arborescens in Kew-

http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K001122657

I have seen this species at few places- Ranikhet, Bhowali, Kali Valley, Ukhimath in Uttarakhand. Often isolated individuals are seen in nature.

If ID is as mentioned here it is another addition to eFI.

DSRawat Pantnagar
Dr D.S.Rawat
Department of Biological Sciences, G.B. Pant University of Agriculture & Technology Pantnagar-263 145 Uttarakhand, INDIA

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Erythrina_SCS_1.JPG
Erythrina_SCS_2.JPG

Aarti S. Khale

Aug 31, 2015, 6:35:33 AM8/31/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, D.S Rawat
Very beautiful pictures Rawat Ji.
Not very confident about all the Erythrina Species, only a few which I have seen.
Regards,
Aarti

D.S Rawat

Sep 3, 2015, 10:54:36 AM9/3/15
to efloraofindia
Based on the kew specimen and Osmaston's reliable flora (1927) I am taking it as E.arborescens.
Thank you all for nice words.