Artocarpus lakoocha (Family: Moraceae) Hooghly, West Bengal

surajit koley

Feb 18, 2012, 10:02:54 AM2/18/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

The day before yesterday I received ID of this tree from 'Indian Flora' (facebook) group. After receiving the ID i come to know that it is called DEOPHAL (phal = fruit) in Bengali. I found this on roadside and it is not that common as Acacia, Delonix, Copper pods, Albizia etc are.

Regards,

Surajit Koley
Artocarpus_lakoocha_2012Feb16_01.jpg
Artocarpus_lakoocha_2012Feb16_02.jpg
Artocarpus_lakoocha_2012Feb16_03.jpg
Artocarpus_lakoocha_2012Feb16_04.jpg

Balkar Singh

Feb 18, 2012, 10:41:36 AM2/18/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Yes Artocarpus lakoocha. Nice shots indeed
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

surajit koley

Feb 18, 2012, 11:41:30 AM2/18/12
to Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Sir,

Thank you for confirming. I think this tree is struggling with other much bigger trees to get its share of sunshine. It is not that healthy looking one.

Regards,

Surajit koley

Vijayadas D

surajit koley

Feb 19, 2012, 1:58:05 AM2/19/12
to Vijayadas D, Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Yes, Madam, it must be the water which is wanting to this tree. For it is hard pressed side  by side with several other trees, yet facing open east side.

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

Ushadi

Jan 22, 2013, 9:11:40 PM1/22/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Vijayadas D, Balkar Singh, surajit koley, efloraofindia
How come NO SEEDS INSIDE THE FRUIT?

usha di

surajit koley

Jan 22, 2013, 9:19:01 PM1/22/13
to Ushadi, indian...@googlegroups.com, Vijayadas D, Balkar Singh
Usha Di,

I ate this fruit (MADAR) in my childhood and as far as i remember i did not notice any seed at that time too. Thank you for your question, it raises my curiosity, i will check.

Regards,

surajit

Ushadi Micromini

Jan 22, 2013, 10:21:24 PM1/22/13
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com, Vijayadas D, Balkar Singh
I do not know MADAR/ Maadaar  (seems its used for many disparate ids/ things)  but I do know DEOPHAL ...

DEOPHAL HAS SEEDS

after the holidays, i'll go thru my ocean of DSC  numbers!!!!
I'll try to find these  and post...

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Jan 22, 2013, 11:23:13 PM1/22/13
to Ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Vijayadas D, Balkar Singh
Usha Di,

Flora Indica and Flora of British India also refer to its oblong seeds, a pic at - http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/product_info.php?products_id=44715&language=en.

My memory fails, maybe i had had unripe fruits, but MADAR looks like the 3rd and 4th pics in the above link. Certainly i will try to find more, usually i do not forget important issues.

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Apr 19, 2013, 2:13:58 PM4/19/13
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Vijayadas D, Balkar Singh
Usha Di,

These fruits are from the same tree as in my earlier records. This is MAADAAR or MADAR (sometimes 'R' is replaced by "L") in local vernacular. I think it is also the same DEOPHAL of literatures. One interesting thing that i have found out about this tree is that each year the fruits in the first phase do not grow more than an inch or two and do not bear seeds. Later the tree again produces fruits and 10 to 15% of those fruits grow big enough to contain edible pulp, and also seeds.

Please also visit https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/indiantreepix/qxuIjz0xNoE for the correct name of this taxon.

Thank you,

Regards,
surajit
Artocarpus_lakoocha_P1010803.jpg
Artocarpus_lakoocha_P1010804.jpg
Artocarpus_lakoocha_P1010806.jpg
Artocarpus_lakoocha_P1010808.jpg
Artocarpus_lakoocha_P1010810.jpg
Artocarpus_lakoocha_P1010811.jpg
Artocarpus_lakoocha_P1010812.jpg

surajit koley

Apr 25, 2013, 1:50:05 PM4/25/13
to efloraofindia
These are the fruits of the same species, another individual at another place. Also a jungle myna!

Regards,
surajit
P1020080.jpg
P1020081.jpg
P1020082.jpg
P1020083.jpg

surajit koley

Jun 13, 2015, 12:32:34 PM6/13/15
to efloraofindia
These fruits are known as MAADAAR (as in mother) in rural Hooghly, village urchins liked it before 2000, for the state of rural economy was not as sound as today, some of them still eat this.

MAADAAR is not recorded in BP or FI or in Hortus; instead FI states "DHEA-PHUL-BURHUL", Hortus informs ডেঁফল

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of