ID requested-PC-05 30.03.2015

Promila Chaturvedi

Mar 30, 2015, 6:42:32 AM3/30/15
to indiantreepix
Friends,
Pease identify this succulent from Pusa Flower Show Delhi..
With regards,
Promila
DSCN6374.JPG

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 30, 2015, 12:32:50 PM3/30/15
to Promila Chaturvedi, efloraofindia, Ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg
Interesting
When the picture wont open right away i was upset your file was too big, but it was just as well.. in the big file i was able to find things ...

At first glance looking at the leaves i thought it was  a piece of cake
it was senecio...  as in s. radicans may be

but for the color of the leaves ... too much grey...in the green.. not well cared for .. etc etc  sennecio leaves are rather stout roundish, these are flat... and in perfect pairs
and that's not all...

the interval between the leaf pairs is far more than in senecio radicans
and I found flowers on the left side of your picture that I have circled... that is not a senecio flower...

i am stumped
i know i know it but cant think of the id just now

hopefully someone  knows it right away

hope it helps

AND PROMILA... do you have better pictures of the flowers?

usha di

Usha di
===========
red circled FLower by Usha di DSCN6374.jpg
flower only DSCN6374.jpg

Promila Chaturvedi

Mar 31, 2015, 6:48:05 AM3/31/15
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Unfortunately none of the plants of the species was flowering..
Promila

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 31, 2015, 9:21:30 AM3/31/15
to Promila Chaturvedi, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
promila did you look at the circled picture area in YOUR picture I sent back with my reply?

and the flowers I found and enlarged out OF YOUR PICTURE?

Please look at them ...
your plant in your picture is flowering...

I find your comment a little disheartening after all the work I did ON YOUR PICTURE!!!!
I quote YOU said:"
Unfortunately none of the plants of the species was flowering.."  end quote...

please be careful...   please look carefully...  these are two versions of your own picture... one I circled the flower, you have to enlarge the picture to see the circle and the second is cropped enlarged area of your own  picture....

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 31, 2015, 9:46:02 PM3/31/15
to Promila Chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Promila
I just thought of this...

you are always alert and quite critical of things

yet you are not paying attention to your own cases and seem a bit confused...
are you alright?
do you have a fever?
high blood pressure or sugar?

that's leading to hypercrtitcal yet careless mistakes?

I am concerned
please talk to a doctor if any thing is wrong

and if its just tiredness take a breather ... still a better idea to talk to a doctor...

usha di

--
Usha di
===========

Promila Chaturvedi

Apr 2, 2015, 6:58:19 AM4/2/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Thanks Dr. Usha Desai. Every six months I go for a medical check. No blood pressure or any other problem except aging.
I do not know how there are two snaps, a flower and few buds also appeared when I opened your mail. There was only one pot of this plant and the judging was on so I could not go very near the plant. It was sunny so no better snap. Sorry for the poor one.
Promila

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 3, 2015, 12:21:52 AM4/3/15
to Promila Chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Promila
I am glad you are ok..

i'll explain to you why there are two pictures in my response>>..
Trying to id your plant to help you i had a problem getting closer view of the leaves ,  so ...

i downloaded your picture to look closely
at the leaves
opened it in my windows media player
then

surprise i found flowers in YOUR PICTURE
I circled them in red
that's the first  of the two pictures in my response

and then I cropped out  flowers  in the same picture from you and saved it as your picture flowers and that is the second picture...
they are both your pictures and so now we know your picture of the pot in the garden show had these flowers...

I am also anxious to know the id ...

hope this is clear

usha di

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 3, 2015, 12:23:31 AM4/3/15
to Promila Chaturvedi, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Dear Promila: i am glad you are ok

i'll explain to you why there are two pictures in my response>>..
Trying to id your plant to help you i had a problem getting closer view of the leaves ,  so ...

i downloaded your picture to look closely
at the leaves
opened it in my windows media player
then

surprise i found flowers in YOUR PICTURE
I circled them in red
that's the first  of the two pictures in my response

and then I cropped out  flowers  in the same picture from you and saved it as your picture flowers and that is the second picture...
they are both your pictures and so now we know your picture of the pot in the garden show had these flowers...

I am also anxious to know the id ...

hope this is clear

I have spent lots of time on this by now..

lets see what our experts think
usha di

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 3, 2015, 11:05:39 AM4/3/15
to Promila Chaturvedi, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Promila Chaturvedi <thegardener...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Usha for the concern. I need an honest and frank friend like you.
Promila

--
Usha di
===========

Promila

but i also need the id
may be mr garg has already sent it out

the pictures are these :

usha di

succulent PC pic flower only DSCN6374.jpg
Succulent PFD eflora red circled FLower by Usha di DSCN6374.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 7, 2015, 3:53:55 AM4/7/15
to efloraofindia, Ushadi Micromini, Promila Chaturvedi

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

red circled FLower by Usha di DSCN6374.jpg
flower only DSCN6374.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 10, 2015, 3:42:57 AM4/10/15
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Garg ji

do you think Dan rhodes or his friends would  respond?

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

Apr 16, 2015, 2:28:24 AM4/16/15
to efloraofindia, Ushadi Micromini, Promila Chaturvedi
A few replies:
""No Idea but very interesting. At first, I thought it was a Hoya of some kind but flowers are look a bit different than typical Hoya flowers.  That doesn't mean much though
I'd probably start there though"" from Paul Fisher ji.

""hi, the flower sort of reminds me of some Kalanchoes.
tsuh yang""

J.M. Garg

Apr 16, 2015, 2:44:59 AM4/16/15
to efloraofindia, Ushadi Micromini, Promila Chaturvedi
A reply:
""That's more the direction I'd be thinking... Crassulaceae..
Cohan""

J.M. Garg

Apr 17, 2015, 12:39:07 AM4/17/15
to efloraofindia, Ushadi Micromini, Promila Chaturvedi
Further replies
"Found it!  Tsuh was correct.  I looked up Vining Bryophyllum and found a pic with similar leaves labeled as Bryophyllum beauverdii R. Hamet. (Syn. B. scandens)
With the following description:

This is a vining bryophyllum. It originates from the dry Alluaudia-Euphorbia forest of Southern Madagascar. Plantlets are borne on the tips of the hooked end of the leaves. The leaves are strongly recurved to aid support. A very easy and interesting Bryophyllum to grow. The inflorescence is yellow in colour.

"Good find! The flowers really looked like Kalanchoe/Bryophyllum, but I'\d never seen one like that.
Cohan"

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 17, 2015, 4:43:44 AM4/17/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Promila Chaturvedi
wow, now I know, good find guys...

Paul Fischer,   Tsuh yang Chen and Cohan:   wonderful diagnosis.

I knew i had seen those harlequin's hat like flowers somewhere...

Tsuh I perhaps know you from the list serve sets at the aroid or other horticulture groups from Mobot??? but that was atleast a couple of decades ago.
Thanks you for the pointing in the right direction..

Usha di

=========
Gargji if possible please forward this above message to them

and thanks for sending this case to all who helped

usha di

Usha di

Promila Chaturvedi

Apr 21, 2015, 6:21:03 AM4/21/15
to Ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Mr. Garg, Mr. Tsuh Yang Chen, Mr. Cohen and Dr. Usha Desai for ID.
Promila