... is / not Aerva lanata ?

Dinesh Valke

Dec 12, 2009, 1:06:26 PM12/12/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Dear friends,

Much branched at base -- long, slender, long, and terete ... herbaceous plant standing about 1.5 m.

Place: Yeoor Hills (part of Sanjay Gandhi National Park)
Date:  12 DEC 09

ID please.

Regards.
P1110184.jpg
P1110172.jpg
P1110173.jpg

promila chaturvedi

Dec 13, 2009, 4:51:23 AM12/13/09
to dinesh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Dinesh Ji,
It seems to be Aerva lanata. The plant is clearly showing simple, alternate leaves on wooly branches. And the white flowers are also minute and in clusters.
Promila

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:36:26 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:24935] ... is / not Aerva lanata ?
From: dinesh...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

http://windows.microsoft.com/shop Find the right PC for you.

Dinesh Valke

Dec 13, 2009, 8:13:19 AM12/13/09
to promila chaturvedi, indian...@googlegroups.com
... many thanks Promila ji, but having got used to seeing the cylindrical flower clusters, the conical clusters here made me raise the query.
The other doubt is .. whether there is any other species confusingly close to A. lanata in Western Ghats of Maharashtra.

Let us wait for 1 - 2 comments clarifying my doubt and the ID.

Regards.

Vijayasankar Raman

Dec 14, 2009, 3:42:48 AM12/14/09
to Dinesh Valke, promila chaturvedi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Pl. also check it for Nothosaerva brachiata (Amaranthaceae).
--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

promila chaturvedi

Dec 14, 2009, 8:23:25 AM12/14/09
to vijay.b...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
It may be Nothosaerva bractata. The Flora of British India says-Moquin has probably confused this with the very similar Aerva lanata. May be you are riight.
Promila

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:12:48 +0530
Subject: Re: [indiantreepix:24987] ... is / not Aerva lanata ?
From: vijay.b...@gmail.com
To: dinesh...@gmail.com
CC: landd...@hotmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

Dinesh Valke

Sep 23, 2010, 2:48:22 AM9/23/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends ... resurfacing this query.

Comments received ...

Promila ji ... It seems to be Aerva lanata. The plant is clearly showing simple, alternate leaves on wooly branches. And the white flowers are also minute and in clusters.

me ... many thanks Promila ji, but having got used to seeing the cylindrical flower clusters, the conical clusters here made me raise the query.

The other doubt is .. whether there is any other species confusingly close to A. lanata in Western Ghats of Maharashtra.

Vijayasankar ji ... Pl. also check it for Nothosaerva brachiata (Amaranthaceae).

Promila ji ... It may be Nothosaerva bractata. The Flora of British India says-Moquin has probably confused this with the very similar Aerva lanata. May be you are riight.

Regards.
P1110184.jpg
P1110172.jpg
P1110173.jpg

Nayan Singh

Sep 23, 2010, 9:27:35 AM9/23/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
.....to me this looks like Aerva sanguinolenta, but not very sure
thanks.
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, promila chaturvedi, Vijayasankar Raman, Nayan Singh, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“It seems to be Aerva lanata. The plant is clearly showing simple, alternate leaves on wooly branches. And the white flowers are also minute and in clusters.
Promila ”

“... many thanks Promila ji, but having got used to seeing the cylindrical flower clusters, the conical clusters here made me raise the query.

The other doubt is .. whether there is any other species confusingly close to A. lanata in Western Ghats of Maharashtra.

Let us wait for 1 - 2 comments clarifying my doubt and the ID.” from Dinesh ji.

“Pl. also check it for Nothosaerva brachiata (Amaranthaceae).” from Vijayasankar ji

"It may be Nothosaerva bractata. The Flora of British India says-Moquin has probably confused this with the very similar Aerva lanata. May be you are riight.
Promila"

".....to me this looks like Aerva sanguinolenta, but not very sure
thanks.
Nayan."
Oct 20, 2010, 12:21:13 AM10/20/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, promila chaturvedi, Vijayasankar Raman, Nayan Singh, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
A reply:
"this is not Aerva lanata.. the leaves are some what orbicular in A. lanata. instead it is Aerva sanguinolenta

1. Leaves subglabrous beneath
1. Leaves tomentose beneath
 2. Inflorescence all axillary spikes or small clusters
 2. Inflorescence axillary and terminal spikesA. sanguinolenta
2
A. lanata
A. javanica

Aerva sanguinolenta (L.) Bl., Bijdr. 547, 1825; Singh et al, Fl. Mah. St. 2: 780, 2001; Almeida, Fl. Mah. 4: 196, 2003; Pradhan et al, Fl. SGNP 521, 2005.
Synonyms: Achyranthes sanguinolenta L. Sp. Pl. ed, 2, 294, 1762. A. scandens Roxb., Fl. Ind. 2: 503, 1824. Aerva scandens (Roxb.) Moe. in DC., Prodr. 13(2): 300, 1849; Hook. f., Fl. Brit. India 4: 727, 1885; Cooke, Fl. Pres. Bombay 2: 577, 1958 (Repr.). Gomphrena amaranthoides Roth. Nov. Pl. Sp. 182, 1821.

Nothosaerva has 1-2 staminodes where as Aerva has 5 staminodes.
Nothosaerva brachiate: leaves opposite, elliptic-lanceolate, acute or sub obtuse, base attenuate, 1.8-3.5 x 1-2 cm

Regards
Satish Pardeshi"

Dinesh Valke

Oct 20, 2010, 12:50:15 AM10/20/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, promila chaturvedi, Vijayasankar Raman, Nayan Singh, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Thank you very much Satish (Pardeshi) ji, for the long pending ID with me and EOI.
Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 20, 2010, 2:17:49 AM10/20/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, promila chaturvedi, Vijayasankar Raman, Nayan Singh, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Many many thanks to all including Nayan ji (missed your message by oversight).
Regards.