190717 BHAR1

Bharathi raja

Jul 19, 2017, 3:54:55 AM7/19/17
to efloraofindia

I found in Kolli Hills in Eastern ghats of southern India. Locally they called the fruit Kan muzhi or muli fruit (as it resembles eye with black seed covered with white transparent flesh)

Habitat:

I found it in hills

20170526_095100.jpg
20170526_095121.jpg
20170526_095140.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 19, 2017, 9:02:51 AM7/19/17
to Bharathi raja, efloraofindia
Thanks, Bharathi ji.

Mahadeswara

Jul 19, 2017, 9:15:03 AM7/19/17
to efloraofindia, vm.bhar...@gmail.com
 Any Diospyros sps.

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 6:32:51 PM UTC+5:30, JM Garg wrote:
Thanks, Bharathi ji.

On 19-Jul-2017 1:25 PM, "Bharathi raja" <vm.bhar...@gmail.com> wrote:

I found in Kolli Hills in Eastern ghats of southern India. Locally they called the fruit Kan muzhi or muli fruit (as it resembles eye with black seed covered with white transparent flesh)

Habitat:

I found it in hills

bharathi raja

Jul 19, 2017, 11:13:15 AM7/19/17
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia

Mahadeswara,

Thanks for your reply.Nice try.

I used to eat persimmon fruit in UK.
But it was not like a persimmon fruit.

It was like Litchi fruit with black seed covered with a transparent white flesh.
It resembled like a Human eye,so in Tamil it was Kan Muli fruit.

The flora of kolli hills (On Eastern Ghats) is endemic I believe and yet to to be added to Database.But local people have known their use and given it a name based on their structures.

If it was not added to the Binomial nomenclature let's keep your name or   mine to it.

M Swamy

Jul 19, 2017, 11:53:25 PM7/19/17
to efloraofindia, bharathi raja
Looking at the description provided by you it could be  Pouteria caimito; Sapotaceae.

J.M. Garg

Jul 20, 2017, 12:21:31 AM7/20/17
to M Swamy, bharathi raja, efloraofindia
Thanks, Mahadeswara ji and Bharathi ji

bharathi raja

Jul 20, 2017, 3:54:08 AM7/20/17
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
No.Flowering season was over and  fruiting started. I could not able to get any flowers.
Its a hill station and I visited as a tourist.

I will visit again and pass to you(not in the near future).

The seed was round and black.(But your  Pouteria caimito had elongated seeds)
Size of seed is around Marble ( Pouteria caimito - the size is 20 times bigger than the original fruit)
--
Thanks,
Bharathi

vip...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 11:48:41 PM7/20/17
to bharathi raja, M Swamy, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg

This appears to be an Aglaia sp. [Meliaceae]. The photographs, though far from clear, do betray the presence of compound leaves!

Best wishes, Viplav

J.M. Garg

Jul 21, 2017, 12:15:42 AM7/21/17
to vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, bharathi raja, M Swamy
Thanks, Viplav ji.

On 21-Jul-2017 9:18 AM, "vip...@gmail.com" <vip...@gmail.com> wrote:

This appears to be an Aglaia sp. [Meliaceae]. The photographs, though far from clear, do betray the presence of compound leaves!

Best wishes, Viplav

bharathi raja

Jul 21, 2017, 1:34:00 AM7/21/17
to J.M. Garg, vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, M Swamy
Dear Viplav,

I had taken it inside a forest.(Eastern Ghats, Kolli hills)
But, It was in a good height although I collected the fruits and seeds to germinate at my local place it did not work.
 I ever never thought it would have local name and surprised to have a name as Eye(Kan muli in Tamil).
Locals was eating the fruits. Even I tried it. Almost like Litchie.

I should have taken it by having the fruits in my palm.

But you are very smart to find from compound leaves itself.
How did you find it?

--
Thanks,
Bharathi

bharathi raja

Jul 21, 2017, 2:38:47 AM7/21/17
to J.M. Garg, vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, M Swamy

Viplav,

when I was searching Aglaia sp. [Meliaceae] I found it to be Lansium domesticum.
Thanks a lot.

Lansium domesticum- Confirmed

--
Thanks,
Bharathi

J.M. Garg

Jul 21, 2017, 9:15:20 AM7/21/17
to bharathi raja, efloraofindia, M Swamy, vip...@gmail.com
Good work, Bharathi ji.

vip...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2017, 1:07:34 AM7/22/17
to J.M. Garg, bharathi raja, efloraofindia, M Swamy

I suppose the exotic Lansium parasiticum (syn. L. domesticum) is found in South India only under cultivation. Please check with the native Aglaia elaeagnoidea (A. Juss.) Benth. which has been reported wild from the Eastern Ghats (including Kolli Hills). There are some good photographs from the fruiting phase of this tree in the Digital Flora of Karnataka and in the India Biodiversity Portal.

Best wishes, Viplav

J.M. Garg

Jul 22, 2017, 4:11:25 AM7/22/17
to vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, bharathi raja, M Swamy
Thanks, Viplav ji.

Pudji Widodo

Jul 22, 2017, 11:07:15 AM7/22/17
to efloraofindia, vip...@gmail.com, vm.bhar...@gmail.com, swamy...@gmail.com
To me this is Dimocarpus longan (Sapindaceae)

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

bharathi raja

Jul 23, 2017, 12:05:27 AM7/23/17
to Pudji Widodo, swamy...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, vip...@gmail.com

Dear Viplav,

Aglaia elaeagnoidea is quite matching.

My mistake - I confused with Lancium
domesticum

What a research!!!
Hats off.You had given much details.
Thanks for your time.

Aglaia elaeagnoidea is quite matching.

Pudji,
Thanks for your information.
.
You fruit Dimocarpus longan is similiar,but the flesh is bit more than Aglaia elaeagnoidea.

May be distant relative (Still both belong to different family).

Interestingly both the local people of India and China have given the name as eye fruit.
Human brain works similar.
(The longan (from Cantonese lùhng-ngáahn 龍眼, literally "dragon eye"), is so named because it resembles an eyeball when its fruit is shelled (the black seed shows through the translucent flesh like a pupil/iris). )

ref:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longan

J.M. Garg

Jul 24, 2017, 8:24:07 PM7/24/17
to Bharathi raja, efloraofindia, M Swamy, vip...@gmail.com, Pudji Widodo
Good discussion.

Rahul Sharma

Jul 25, 2017, 6:17:20 AM7/25/17
to efloraofindia
Simarouba glauca ? please check

J.M. Garg

Jul 25, 2017, 8:38:39 AM7/25/17
to Rahul Sharma, efloraofindia, Bharathi raja
Thanks, Rahul ji.