Glochidion heyneanum/G. velutinum

Ashutosh Sharma

Jun 19, 2018, 12:27:29 AM6/19/18
to indiantreepix

Respected members,

Please help to resolve confusion

Glochidion velutinum is treated as Synonym of G.heyneanum in Plant list as well as by BSI eflora but in Flora of Pakistan only one Glochidion is mentioned that is G.velutinum with no mention of G.heyneanum even as synonym.
Whereas in Flora of India by Sir JD Hooker both species are described uniquely with some morphological differences and distribution.
Please see last attached image for discription.

Here are some links
Glochidion velutinum illustration from Flora of Pakistan
http://www.mobot.org/mobot/PakistanImages/172-Euphorbiaceae/Glochidion_velutinum.jpg
Description link
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=242323550

Glochidion heyneanum illustration from Flora of China
http://images.mobot.org/efloras/FloraIllustration/foc11/FOCI%2011_Page_257.jpg
Description link
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=250084062

Best regards
Ashutosh Sharma

Glochidion heyneanum inflorescence.jpg
Glochidion heyneanum leaves and flowers.jpg
G. heyneanum.jpg
Glochidion heyneanum seeds.png
Glochidion heyneanum ..jpg
Glochidion heyneanum.png
Glochidion heyneanum & G.velutinum from Flora of India.png

Tapas Chakrabarty

Jun 19, 2018, 1:16:40 AM6/19/18
to Ashutosh Sharma, efloraofindia
Kindly consult Chakrabarty et al., Fl. India 23: 421-422. 2012 and your all doubts will be clarified.

New Doc 2018-06-19.pdf

Tapas Chakrabarty

Jun 19, 2018, 1:40:10 AM6/19/18
to Ashutosh Sharma, efloraofindia
The earlier available name takes precedence as per the Code (McNeill et al. 2012, to be replaced by the Schenzhen Code, 2018 very soon). In this case G. heyneanum takes priority and G. velutinim as its synonym.

ashutoshsharma11sn

Jun 19, 2018, 1:54:06 AM6/19/18
to efloraofindia
Ok Glochidion heyneanum (Synonyms - G. velutinum) is an variable species .
Thanks Tapas sir for attachment and clearing doubt.

Regards
Ashutosh Sharma

Tapas Chakrabarty

Jun 19, 2018, 1:56:01 AM6/19/18
to ashutoshsharma11sn, efloraofindia
Very variable indeed with at least 4 varieties in India.

ashutoshsharma11sn

Jun 19, 2018, 2:05:37 AM6/19/18
to efloraofindia
Thanks again Sir.

J.M. Garg

Jun 19, 2018, 9:13:27 AM6/19/18
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Ashutosh Sharma, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot, Tapas ji

Tapas Chakrabarty

Jun 19, 2018, 2:55:29 PM6/19/18
to J.M. Garg, Ashutosh Sharma, efloraofindia
Here is an image of Glochidion heyneanum posted in this group by Nidhan ji.
Here we can see the  fruits before dehiscence with short, connate and columnar styles. The plant is tomentellous throughout.
Glochidion heyneanum.JPG

Mahadeswara

Jun 19, 2018, 11:28:36 PM6/19/18
to efloraofindia
Fruits look quite different. Need to rethink on ID.

Tapas Chakrabarty

Jun 20, 2018, 3:05:10 AM6/20/18
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Yes the images posted by Ashutosh ji are dehished fruits exposing the red seeds. But the image posted by me from Nidhan Singh ji are just ripe undehished ones.
Having seen specimens from the entire range of G. heyneanum I have nothing to rethink.
It is up an individual to decide what name to be applied.
I have nothing more to say on these images.
Thanks and regards.

J.M. Garg

Jun 20, 2018, 8:25:44 AM6/20/18
to Tapas Chakrabarty, M Swamy, efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma
Thanks, Tapas ji