Fabaceae herb ID from Hooghly 22/9/12 SK2

surajit koley

Sep 22, 2012, 12:51:09 PM9/22/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Found this herb on roadside. There was only one plant and might have been an escapee.

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : found on rural roadside, about 2.5 feet high
Date : 19/9/12, 4.05 p.m.
Place : Garalgacha (Hooghly)

Thank you and regards,

surajit

un_fab_herb_DSCN2102.jpg
un_fab_herb_DSCN2103.jpg
un_fab_herb_DSCN2107.jpg
un_fab_herb_DSCN2109.jpg
un_fab_herb_DSCN2110.jpg

Neil Soares

Sep 22, 2012, 1:39:32 PM9/22/12
to efloraofindia, surajit koley
Hi,
 This could be Sesbania bisphinosa. Will send my photographs of this later.
                       With regards,
                         Neil Soares.

--- On Sat, 9/22/12, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:

surajit koley

Sep 22, 2012, 9:45:52 PM9/22/12
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Good morning Neil Sir and thank you for the id suggestion.

But, images (http://www.nature-museum.net/Data/2010/201002/20100211/Normal/8f3262a6-7220-448b-b9b8-fcf6709e7bb4.jpg) available in the net show bean like cylindrical pod for Sesbania bispinosa (image source - http://www.plant.csdb.cn/photo?creator=treefern).

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Sep 22, 2012, 10:25:47 PM9/22/12
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Sir,

Could this be an escapee of Aeschynomene aspera Linn.? Picture and description available at - http://www.oswaldasia.org/species/a/aesas/aesas_04_en.html and http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=220000272.

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

surajitkoley

Sep 22, 2012, 10:35:45 PM9/22/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Another similar species  Aeschynomene indica Linn (http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=200011865)

Regards,

surajit

Prashant Awale

Sep 23, 2012, 2:05:41 PM9/23/12
to surajitkoley, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think leaves of Chamaecrista mimosoides  also look some what similar to this...

Regards
Prashant

surajit koley

Sep 23, 2012, 2:18:51 PM9/23/12
to Prashant Awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Prashat Ji, but FoC informs Chamaecrista mimosoides has puberulent branches whereas my plant seems to be glabrous. Moreover, the area is dotted with marshes and lowland where many SHOLA plant could be found.

Regards,

surajit

Dinesh Valke

Sep 23, 2012, 2:38:41 PM9/23/12
to surajit koley, Prashant Awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
... the leaf pattern reminds me of Aeschynomene ... not sure of species.
Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Sep 23, 2012, 2:55:22 PM9/23/12
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant Awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dinesh Ji, i have Aeschynomene, but yet to decide which one, aspera or indica, and also waiting for the pods and closer pictures.

Two old videos -

Dinesh Valke

Sep 23, 2012, 3:17:13 PM9/23/12
to surajit koley, Prashant Awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Referring:
Aeschynomene indica ... http://www.tropicalforages.info/key/Forages/Media/Html/Aeschynomene_indica.htm
Aeschynomene aspera ... http://www.oswaldasia.org/species/a/aesas/aesas_en.html AND http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=220000272

Habitat far from water; stem not warty, seedpod indented only on one side - to me, your plant looks like A. indica versus A. aspera.

Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Sep 23, 2012, 9:39:35 PM9/23/12
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant Awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Dinesh Ji,
Thank you very much for the ID, links and elaborating on Aeschynomene.

Regards,
surajit

surajit koley

Oct 25, 2012, 1:59:45 PM10/25/12