Re: glands on Terminalia arjuna

Satish Phadke

Apr 25, 2012, 10:11:26 AM4/25/12
to surajit koley, indiantreepix
Excellent recordings Surajit ji.
Looking forward to many more.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:37 PM, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sir,

Recorded these images today. Each mature (but not old) leaf, except one, bears a single petiolar gland. Examined 7 leaves from a twig.

Regards,

surajit

--
Dr Satish Phadke

surajit koley

Apr 25, 2012, 12:53:41 PM4/25/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, surajit koley, Satish Phadke
Thank you very much, Satish Sir, attaching those images here... :)

(all images recorded on 24-04-12, 9.50 a.m., Hooghly, WB)

Regards,

surajit

Tanay Bose

Apr 25, 2012, 8:14:11 PM4/25/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Hi Surajit Ji.
I stole one of you picture and tried to point the leaf glads in Terminalia (attached).
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Research & Teaching Assistant.

only one gland per leaf 2505.jpg

surajit koley

Apr 25, 2012, 9:22:49 PM4/25/12
to Tanay Bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Good evening Tanay Sir. You are welcome for stealing as much as you can, this enriches me :)

Regards,

surajit

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:44 AM, Tanay Bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Surajit Ji.
I stole one of you picture and tried to point the leaf glads in Terminalia (attached).
Tanay

ushadi Micromini

Apr 25, 2012, 9:34:36 PM4/25/12
to surajit koley, Tanay Bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Tanay... good
now tell me about the other picture that Surajit has marked some spot in thebody of the leaf.. could you please?
thanks
Usha di
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Apr 25, 2012, 9:48:02 PM4/25/12
to ushadi Micromini, Tanay Bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Actually i was thinking if those bulges on the leafblade are also initiation of glands or not!

Regards,

surajit

Tanay Bose

Apr 25, 2012, 10:52:06 PM4/25/12
to surajit koley, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Hi Usha Di.
I should confess that I have no idea about the origin of the bulges on the leaf they can be caused by leaf anomaly
or may be due to insect infestation. I have seen  insects at there larval stage(?) take shelter inside leaves. I came
to know about this by accident. Once I saw bunch of "mole" like structures on the mango leaf initially I thought them
to be fungal infection later on making section I found insects within them!
Regards
Tanay

Vijayasankar

Apr 25, 2012, 11:24:55 PM4/25/12
to Tanay Bose, surajit koley, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Extrafloral nectories (other than the glands that we have been discussing about so far) are common in members of Combretaceae. But they usually occur in the axils of nerves on the lower surface of the leaf. You may examine the undersurface of badam (Terminalia catappa) leaf for e.g., to see the hairy structures (called 'domatia'). However, the spots pointed by Surajit ji do not seem to be the extrafloral nectories. They may be (bacterial?) infections?

Thanks Surajit ji, for the clear pictures of glands. They seem to vary in number and position in this species too.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Mahadeswara

Apr 25, 2012, 11:42:21 PM4/25/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Excellent......excellent.......Great contribution.

Neil Soares

Apr 26, 2012, 12:07:19 AM4/26/12
to Tanay Bose, Vijayasankar, surajit koley, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Hi,
 For my photographs of this please check my mail dated 10th May 2010. [For some reason am not able to Copy & Paste the link here possibly because I am using a Yahoo account. Will appreciate any help in this matter].
                      With regards,
                        Neil Soares.

surajit koley

Apr 26, 2012, 12:44:08 PM4/26/12
to Tanay Bose, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Tanay Sir, "mole" like structures on mango leaves are common here. Now i learn that these are caused by some insect.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Apr 26, 2012, 1:01:14 PM4/26/12
to Vijayasankar, Tanay Bose, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Oh! Vijayasankar Ji, this botany terminology is very hard to crack! Who knew that plants too have nerves!

However, i recorded more glands from another ARJUN tree, today. Examined yet another. Majority of those leaves do have a single gland on their base, some have a pair, one on each side of midrib, and as you said, all on the lower surface.

It is intersting to note, as you can see in one of the attached pics, that often a leaf lacks any gland when the opposite facing leaf has a pair of them! But this not a strict rule because i have seen exceptions too.

Attaching two more images that i recorded today.

Regards,

surajit

DSCN2617.jpg
DSCN2619.jpg

surajit koley

Apr 26, 2012, 1:06:30 PM4/26/12
to Mahadeswara, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Mahadeswara Sir, all credit goes to all eflora members...:)

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Apr 26, 2012, 1:13:49 PM4/26/12
to Neil Soares, Tanay Bose, Vijayasankar, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Neil Sir, there is no difference between the glands of your Arjuna and my Arjuna! Found your post at - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/indiantreepix/terminalia$20neil/indiantreepix/wSE17uB8tmM/-hR6vPXjoFcJ

Regards,

surajit

Neil Soares

Apr 26, 2012, 11:06:07 PM4/26/12
to surajit koley, Tanay Bose, Vijayasankar, ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Thank you Surajit for providing the link.
                With regards,
                  Neil Soares.

surajit koley

Apr 27, 2012, 12:17:04 PM4/27/12
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Neil Sir, if i hadn't searched it i would have certainly missed your, er, Arjuna's glands :)

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

nitesh joshi

Apr 27, 2012, 12:42:37 PM4/27/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, surajit koley, Satish Phadke
could  be an gall like thing as this family is rich in tannins....just guessing though

surajit koley

Apr 27, 2012, 1:11:30 PM4/27/12
to nitesh joshi, indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke
Thank you Nitesh Sir for the suggestion.... i was thinking which microbes could feed on tannin! A google search gave many interesting links
.... etc.

Regards,

surajit